Companion to K70X?
Aug 31, 2010 at 9:26 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

clams

Head-Fier
I've just gotten into quality full size phones a few months ago and purchased the K702s. I currently have them matched with the Audinst HUD-MX1 DAC and the Matrix M-stage. I'm thinking of getting a second pair of full size cans to accompany them for music they don't shine too well with. I'm hoping to spend somewhere around 250 for them. I don't mind used.

So far I've looked at
1) Grado SR225i
2) Denon D2000
3) Beyer DT990

Any other suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

Aug 31, 2010 at 10:23 PM Post #2 of 4
I'm not going to be of much help to you since I've not heard the SR225i or D2000, but I can say the DT990 is the polar opposite of the K702. The sound is more closed in, up-front, with more mids presence, warmth/body, and cleaner treble. Obviously the biggest difference is bass though, and for certain music like rock (AC/DC, ZZ Top) it's got a thump and authoritative bottom end that really gives songs power. They're a pretty rockin headphone, but I heard the SR225i is pretty rockin too, so if that's the genre you're looking at, I can't tell you which would be better. Again, I'm not much help here. :p

Sep 1, 2010 at 1:29 AM Post #3 of 4

Quote:
I'm not going to be of much help to you since I've not heard the SR225i or D2000, but I can say the DT990 is the polar opposite of the K702. The sound is more closed in, up-front, with more mids presence, warmth/body, and cleaner treble. Obviously the biggest difference is bass though, and for certain music like rock (AC/DC, ZZ Top) it's got a thump and authoritative bottom end that really gives songs power. They're a pretty rockin headphone, but I heard the SR225i is pretty rockin too, so if that's the genre you're looking at, I can't tell you which would be better. Again, I'm not much help here. :p

Actually this was pretty helpful. I've heard there are problems with the DT990 being sibilant though. How would you compare the treble quality?

Sep 1, 2010 at 2:19 AM Post #4 of 4
It REALLY depends on your source. I'm biased, because the DT990 was my first piece of hifi audio equipment, and I got used to their treble response. Going from my sound card with a built-in headphone amp to my Caliente (currently in vanilla KICAS mode) saw a reduction in treble sharpness, just because of the different amps' characteristics. The DT990 like most phones depend a lot on amp synergy, and you need a clean, linear treble response (not necessarily rolled-off) for them to sound their best in that area.

The other thing is music. Unfortunately a lot of it is mastered pretty hot, which doesn't help their balance any. On well recorded tracks, the treble sounds lively and enjoyable. These are a headphone that demands your attention. You can't just put them on and continue with what you're doing, they demand that you stop and listen to what they have to say. Newer versions of the DT990, especially the 600ohm version aren't as harsh in the HF range, and they're far from the worst offender in this regard. Compared to the K702, the treble sounds smoother and cleaner, because the K702 seems to take everything in the treble range and shoves it to the front, while the DT990 picks out what's more important (ie realistic). Specifically regarding sibilance, the DT990 are worse, but not by much. Again though, overall, the treble response is smoother, and the K702 will likely offend your ears in the top-end before they do.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back