Commonly Recommended Headphones - prelim FAQ ideas
Jun 28, 2003 at 12:06 AM Post #16 of 73
Quote:

Originally posted by john_jcb
I would recommend adding a category for electrostatics and perhaps the Sony R10.

I love the Sony R10 and while I think they are better than all the other dynamic headphones you can buy, they are not a lot better than them, just better. They just happen to cost a lot more.

Oh, and you should add the Alessandro Music Series to that chart.http://www.alessandro-products.com/

Jun 28, 2003 at 12:12 AM Post #17 of 73
nevermind

Jun 28, 2003 at 1:48 AM Post #18 of 73
Great start on the FAQ. Just make sure it's very very sticky. One thing worth considering is a similar amp FAQ, unless you've already done it.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 28, 2003 at 8:57 AM Post #19 of 73
How about PX 100 and PX 200, for the «Portables» department? Well, especially the 200 is not for everyone because of the critical fit, but those who like it usually find it to be a very good headphone (so do I).

Doesn't the W100 belong to the «$300+» headphones ($325)?

If you leave the «Rock» and «Mids» categories, there have to be «Classical», «Jazz», «Vocals», «Strings», «Bass», etc., too.
blink.gif
I doubt that it would make much sense though. Maybe «Classical» as the only specialized category beside «Rock»? In this case, I would just see the HD 600 there.

Yes, there has to be an Electrostatics category (!) - if you don't want to just throw the Stax 2020, 3030, 4040 and Omega II into the «$300+» category.

BTW, thanks for your effort!

peacesign.gif

Jun 28, 2003 at 9:01 AM Post #20 of 73
where'd the k501 love go?

Jun 28, 2003 at 9:29 AM Post #22 of 73
Good work.

Quote:

Maybe I was wrong to even create a rock category. I didn't want there to be much in the way of sonic evaluations, which can be SUBJECTIVE.

I completely agree. These types of categories are way too controversial to be stuck in this kind of document. I suggest you stick to the faqts.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 28, 2003 at 3:21 PM Post #23 of 73
Perhaps including the widely available and incredibly cheap Philips HP170 ($20) might be in order. They haven't gotten a lot of pub here but I don't recall anyone giving them a bad review and there are several positive.

Jun 28, 2003 at 4:12 PM Post #24 of 73
I still think that the HD280s should be put in the <$100 category.

Just list them as $99 and put the headroom link, simply because they are sponsors.

Try adding the DT770s?

Gaming:
Sony V6/7506 (~60 ohms)
Beyerdynamic DT250-80 (~80 ohms)
Beyerdynamic DT770 (~250 ohms) (Req. AMP)

This is prolly the best list for gaming headphones, atm.

Don't forget Ultrasones
280smile.gif

Jun 28, 2003 at 4:38 PM Post #25 of 73
Quote:

Originally posted by Xecter
I still think that the HD280s should be put in the <$100 category.

SEE BELOW:
Quote:

Originally posted by nanahachi
Best < $100 headphones
Sennheiser MX500 – ($20)
Koss KSC-35
Grado SR-60 (no amp) www.headphone.com – ($69)
Grado SR-80 www.headphone.com – ($95)
Sony MDR-V6/7506
Sony Eggo MDR-D66sl www.audiocubes.com – ($99)
Sennheiser HD-280 www.headphone.com – ($99)

Quote:

Try adding the DT770s?

**I will add them later today. There will be a Bass category just for the 770s

Quote:

Originally posted by shivohum
I completely agree. These types of categories are way too controversial to be stuck in this kind of document. I suggest you stick to the faqts.
smily_headphones1.gif

**Thanks man. I will be removing the music genre categories, unless I feel compelled otherwise. Too subjective, too personal.

Quote:

Originally posted by bubsdaddy
Perhaps including the widely available and incredibly cheap Philips HP170 ($20) might be in order. They haven't gotten a lot of pub here but I don't recall anyone giving them a bad review and there are several positive.

** Thanks for the suggestion, bubs. However, this thread /FAQ is called "Commonly Recommended Headphones." I dont mean to flame you, but I haven't seen those phones frequently mentioned. They may be GREAT phones, but they just aren't commonly mentioned. So, after I keep getting more suggestions posted here, I will try to see if i can add a POLL, as was mentioned, to get votes on what other phones to include.

Quote:

Originally posted by JaZZ
How about PX 100 and PX 200, for the «Portables» department? Well, especially the 200 is not for everyone because of the critical fit, but those who like it usually find it to be a very good headphone (so do I).

**Ooops, I think I overlooked those. Maybe I'll do some research in the coming week, and see if they deserve to be mentioned (aka they are more often recommended than not.

Quote:

Yes, there has to be an Electrostatics category (!) - if you don't want to just throw the Stax 2020, 3030, 4040 and Omega II into the «$300+» category.

**Well, while I think that electrostats are great (I'm in love with the Omega IIs) are they really commonly recommended? Are all the Stax you mentioned really worth recommending? This needs to be pursued further. Again, we need a poll to decide that.

So everyone, please post any headphones suggestions ASAP, so that I can see about making a poll about which to include.

thanks for the comments and ideas! please keep them coming

Jun 28, 2003 at 6:38 PM Post #26 of 73
Are the Senn HD 497s not getting added?? Personally I think they are quite a good deal, especially considering the fact that they need no amp.

Jun 28, 2003 at 6:55 PM Post #27 of 73
This isn't a thread crap as such...

...But I would like to offer my sincerest thanks to all concerned with getting the FAQ off of the ground... sure its not ready yet, but with everyones tireless help it won't be too long before it is... especially now the Discman reviews of mine are all but complete...

So... quite simply... Thanks
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 28, 2003 at 9:17 PM Post #29 of 73
Im not sure if this is in the scope of the FAQ, but....

wouldn't it be nice to have a nice picture of each headphone?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back