Commonly Recommended Headphones - prelim FAQ ideas
Jun 29, 2003 at 12:03 AM Post #31 of 73
No, I think pics of headphones would be nice. there is an amp and discman gallery. howevery, KR... has a great Headphone Lust gallery which works in the meantime.

Also HEADROOM already has pics of most phones at their website.

so yeah, I agree it would be good to include them somewhere, so I'll see what we can do (without stealing too much from HR, amazon, etc)

Jun 29, 2003 at 12:21 AM Post #33 of 73
I am actually in the middle of writing another thread right now, a poll for phones to add. i really dont know how to feel about rare phones anymore.

their prices vary, as does their availability....but great phones are great phones....so I dont know.

look for a Poll thread any minute now

Jun 29, 2003 at 2:18 AM Post #34 of 73
How about adding a high isolation category, listing canalphones and noise cancelling phones? For example, ety 4's, shure e2c's, senn px250's.

Many people ask about best phones to tune out noise when travelling, etc.

Jun 29, 2003 at 5:59 AM Post #35 of 73
Quote:

Originally posted by nanahachi
I am actually in the middle of writing another thread right now, a poll for phones to add. i really dont know how to feel about rare phones anymore.

their prices vary, as does their availability....but great phones are great phones....so I dont know.

look for a Poll thread any minute now

Perhaps an appendix or something about "legendary headphones". Imo, at this point it is unneeded, because n00b headphone buyers aren't gonna go looking for some $3k set of hard to find cans. If anyone would, it would most likely be someone who is headphone inclined, and someone already knowledgable.

At this point this is coming together nicely.

A introduction would be nice. Along the lines of burning in headphones, and maybe to introduce some vocab or something.

But dont' over do it. This is supposed to be a FAQ, not a textbook.

AFTERTHOUGHT:
Is this going to be posted in forums? With the amount of knowledge available in this, i think that it should deserve its own series of web pages. It would be easier to organize, and not so overwhelming when reading.

Jun 30, 2003 at 2:19 AM Post #38 of 73
If you do point people in the direction of headroom to get pics of phones remember to tell them that all of their pictures are in black-and-white. I remember seeing a color picture of the PortaPros at Amazon and thinking Koss must have come out with a baby blue version of the them especially for Amazon!
tongue.gif
From Headroom's site one could get the impression that they, and every other phone, are either black or grey.

Good job on starting a headphone FAQ.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 30, 2003 at 3:54 AM Post #39 of 73
This is an awesome thread and I don't really have much to add, everyone is doing a really amazing job!

However, don't you think it's dangerous recommending phones like the HD600 in the $200-300 category when you need a class A amp truly drive them to their full potential? I mean, for some of those phones it's ok. Lower imp phones and more forgiving ones like DT250-80s don't need much of an amp and so on. . .

But recommending a $280 headphone that sounds like crap without an amp and truly shines on $3,000+ equipment is going to. . . .to. . . . make head-fiers spend more money than they planned on
very_evil_smiley.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif

Never mind. This is an evil plot hatched by headphone amp manufacturers :p

Cheers,
Geek

Jun 30, 2003 at 8:21 AM Post #42 of 73
that would be a retardedly large list of craptacular headphones.
tongue.gif

oh the joys of elitism.
lambda.gif

Jun 30, 2003 at 4:53 PM Post #43 of 73
hahha, funny, geek. Well, its up to HEadfiers to "shop responsibly"...

mnemonic:
the Danger idea was mentioned before, and its growing on me. we would have to keep it short, but we could for sure say:
STAY AWAY FROM the Sony V600, V700...You have been warned.

As for KSC-35 alternatives, if one does a search here, people do list alternatives to them, in threads about the 35s. however, the KSC-50 will be added to the FAQ list

thanks for the ideas guys, keep them rolling in.

Jun 30, 2003 at 7:49 PM Post #45 of 73
How about adding the Etymotic ER6's to the $100-$200 category. I'm new here, but they seem to be very well received and I may buy a pair myself!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back