Comfy closed headphones up to $110 recommendations
Mar 13, 2011 at 12:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

bartzy

New Head-Fier
Hi,

Looking for my first nice headphones - I thought about HD555, but since they're open and at home and work I listen to music near other people, and I don't want them to hear what I'm listening to, I thought that I must get closed headphones... Is that true?

Assuming that is indeed true, I need recommendations for closed head phones, they need to be very comfortable (hours per day) and under $100-$110 :)
I listen to all kinds of music, not playing games a lot...

Any help is much appreciated :)

Thanks a lot,
Bar.

Mar 13, 2011 at 1:30 PM Post #3 of 17
Closed headphones are less comfortable than open ones?

JVC are comfortable? Also, how do they compare to the A700?

Thanks,
Bar.

Mar 13, 2011 at 1:43 PM Post #4 of 17
Welcome to Head-Fi, sorry about your wallet

Back on topic,
After trying out the A900 I have found it has a strange resonance issue which makes it sound a little strange for anything but music that is meant to be played in a small venue like Jazz. I don't know how they compare to the A700 though. We would better be able to help you if you told us what music genres you listen to. some genres like classical and metal can sound terrible on certain headphones. 

Mar 13, 2011 at 1:50 PM Post #5 of 17
Hi,

I guess mostly rock, but really I listen to all kinds of music :)

the JVC HA-RX900 seems really nice - My only worry is that my ears would get too hot... Is that a problem with all closed headphones ?

Thanks,
Bar.

Mar 13, 2011 at 1:57 PM Post #6 of 17
You are correct.  Sealed back headphone provide superior isolation and leak a great deal less their open backed counterparts.  Here are a few options for you to consider:

Audio-Technica A700

JVC HARX 900

Sennheiser HD448

The A700 offer great comfort and sound with a nice spacious soundstage, the only thing with these is they are quite big, so you might look a little funny wearing them.  JVC's HARX 900 is another excellent option that's a bit underrated.  With the HD448 you get good looks, comfort, stellar sound and it's more portable than the other two options.  Which ever option you may decide to go with here, you'll find a excellent listening experience.

Mar 13, 2011 at 3:46 PM Post #7 of 17
Thanks for the answer! All the headphones you mentioned are more or less equally comfortable? Also, why the HA-RX900 are underrated? They're comparable to the HD448 & A700 ?

Mar 13, 2011 at 5:42 PM Post #8 of 17
Underrated as in they not often recommended, as they are not quite as popular as some of the usual suspects from Sennheiser and the like, and yes they are indeed comparable to the HD448 and A700.

Mar 13, 2011 at 6:22 PM Post #9 of 17
Thanks for the answer :) What about the warm-ears symptom of closed headphones? I never had a closed headphone so I don't know if it's bad... also - People won't hear (and I won't hear them) what I'm listening to with the RX900's ? Anyone can testify for the RX900's comfort ? :)

Mar 13, 2011 at 8:06 PM Post #10 of 17
It seems they are pretty good comfort wise as they don't clamp as strongly as other headphoe do.  As for the warm ear issue?  That is one negative of the sealed design, unlike open air options which allow ears to breath, they do start to get warm after being worn for a while.  How severe usually depends on the person wearing them. 

Mar 14, 2011 at 1:06 AM Post #11 of 17
Look into the Creative Aurvana Live! It's a repackaged Denon D1001.

They're incredibly comfortable and sound great.They are closed back, and won't leak any sound out, but they do let some sound in. It sounded like you were more concerned with sound escaping than entering.

They can be had for $70 here: http://www.amazon.com/Creative-EF0060-Aurvana-Live-Headphones/dp/B000ZJZ7OA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1300078740&sr=1-1

Check out Joker's review of them here: http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/433318/shootout-71-portable-headphones-reviewed-sony-mdr-zx700-mdr-v6-added-03-07

He considers them portable, but they're fairly large and circumaural.

Mar 14, 2011 at 8:21 PM Post #13 of 17
The RX900s are the best for a $60 price and cheap to modify (removing most of the felt and $12 for Dynamat Xtreme off eBay).
Or pay $35 for the JVC-HA-RX700s and do the felt plus Dynamat Xtreme modds
The JVCs are comfortable to wear,
Also having the JVCs on makes your head look like a Cyberman.
As the Creative Aurvana's are rebadged Denon 1001s, they should have at least a little better sound then the JVCs.

Mar 14, 2011 at 8:55 PM Post #15 of 17
Would it hurt if I recommend the ATH-M50's? Because you can get them $109, shipping included.

+ the M50's are perfect for "all kinds of music" as you stated. They are versatile phones and are closed and comfy.(though they do feel heavy) and they are probably one of the best if not the best cans for under $110.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back