Comfortable Dress shoe, any recommendation?
Sep 23, 2009 at 1:45 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 28

RYCeT

Headphoneus Supremus
Hi guys, I'm looking for a comfortable dress shoe. I got a versace which look really classy but hurts like hell when you use it. Can anyone recommend me a good dress shoe and comfortable to wear like a sneaker. Thx.

Sep 23, 2009 at 2:53 PM Post #4 of 28
More of a casual dress but Kenneth Cole Reaction has always been a good one for me.

You might also try some of the Cole Haan Airs, which have soles based on Nike Air. A bit pricey for the type of shoe IMHO but if you wear Versace, this'd be cheaper any ways.

You can also peruse Zappos.com. Some of the best customer service and 2 way free shipping. I ALWAYS get a few pairs to try different styles sizes and some times get lucky.

Maybe also try Ferragamo's.

Also, if you have a Nordstrom near you, they tend to have one of the best men's shoe departments w/ lots of selection and willingness to find the sizes you want from other stores.

Sep 23, 2009 at 3:33 PM Post #5 of 28
Try a nice pair of Alden shoes.

I have a few and they're extremely comfortable once broken in. Or burned-in if you prefer.

Traditional leather-soled shoes are uncomfortable at first. They need a good period of being worn before they conform to your foot. Once they're broken in, they're more comfortable than sneakers. No kidding.

I have a pair of Florsheims I bought about 20 years ago (the new ones are junk - nowhere near the quality they used to have) that has been resoled a few times. They are the most comfortable shoes I own.

So maybe the shoes you already have just need more wear. I know it's uncomfortable at first, but they might become your favorite shoes if you keep wearing them.

Sep 23, 2009 at 5:22 PM Post #6 of 28
Agreed Alden Shoes are one of my favorites as well. The Cordovans with custom dyes.
But when commuting I use Allen Edmonds. They have a rubber sole shoe that is more comfortable than some sneakers I've owned. Though it resembels a soccer sneaker a tad

Sep 23, 2009 at 5:41 PM Post #7 of 28
I have a pair of Dockers that are extremely comfortable and still look quite sharp. I believe they are Perspective but not exactly sure. I have a very wide foot so can be hard to fit.

Sep 23, 2009 at 8:00 PM Post #8 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by oldskoolboarder /img/forum/go_quote.gif
More of a casual dress but Kenneth Cole Reaction has always been a good one for me.

You might also try some of the Cole Haan Airs, which have soles based on Nike Air. A bit pricey for the type of shoe IMHO but if you wear Versace, this'd be cheaper any ways.

You can also peruse Zappos.com. Some of the best customer service and 2 way free shipping. I ALWAYS get a few pairs to try different styles sizes and some times get lucky.

Maybe also try Ferragamo's.

Also, if you have a Nordstrom near you, they tend to have one of the best men's shoe departments w/ lots of selection and willingness to find the sizes you want from other stores.

I agree, kenneth cole reaction dress shoes are awesome. I also have a pair of lacoste dress shoes that I think are very comfortable and look really nice.

Sep 23, 2009 at 9:07 PM Post #10 of 28
As a previous poster said, Rockport. I have a pair on their wingtips, they are like wearing sneakers, light weight and flexible. They do have a rubber sole, buy it doesn't stand out. They are an excellent dress shoe that wears like iron.
pG01-5607294p275w.png

Sep 24, 2009 at 11:50 PM Post #13 of 28
James Taylor and Son. Whether you want to go to London and have them measure you and then wait a couple of months is up to you. But they are nice shoes.
smily_headphones1.gif

On a much more readily available note, Alden is good. As are Cole Haan shoes. They are not super comfortable at all, and you will never think they are, but I have never had my feet hurt in them, so they are neutral, I guess.

-nkk

Sep 25, 2009 at 12:58 AM Post #14 of 28
x2 on Rockports

Sep 25, 2009 at 2:17 AM Post #15 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Traditional leather-soled shoes are uncomfortable at first. They need a good period of being worn before they conform to your foot. Once they're broken in, they're more comfortable than sneakers. No kidding.

I have a pair of Florsheims I bought about 20 years ago (the new ones are junk - nowhere near the quality they used to have) that has been resoled a few times. They are the most comfortable shoes I own.

So maybe the shoes you already have just need more wear. I know it's uncomfortable at first, but they might become your favorite shoes if you keep wearing them.

Another vote for vintage Florsheim shoes. They are remarkably well-made, and if I'm going to be 'dressy', I'd just as well presume that my shoes are genuinely dressy--leather soles and good stitching. Frankly, if you check out some of your local thrift stores, you'll be astounded by the quality of some of the older pairs of dress shoes sold for less than $20.00. Shoes that are more than 20 years old were frequently hand-stitched and detailed. Florsheim Imperials are a safe bet.

Get some high quality cream conditioner [like this]. If you are starting out with a pair of older shoes, give them one thorough coat of cream conditioner--rubbed into the leather with your fingers--and then another twenty-four hours later. Then you can put on a layer of polish, if you like. They will also wear-in and conform to your foot more quickly.

Beware of mink oil and dubbin, which I used to use a lot. I bought a classic pair of Italian hiking boots a few years ago, which had been left fifteen years in storage. I promptly annointed them with mink oil; the oil rotted the dried top layer before it saturated the lower-density leather. A good condition will never do this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back