Comfort on Shure SH840?
May 24, 2011 at 12:34 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

cactus_farmer

1000+ Head-Fier
Heard alot of bad things about the comfort on these... Are they so heavy that they give a neck-ache?

How heavy as compared to Grado SR325is? And do they feel secure on the head as compared to SR325is and M50? How is the headband ache as compared to the K701 (which I find is absolute torture).

Also is it fair to expect that the sound signature will be comparable to a full sized SE535 - ie. fairly mid-centric?

May 24, 2011 at 12:48 PM Post #2 of 8
i think they are very comfortable, can wear them for hours on end.  no fatigue.  the only issue i have with the fit, is if you start moving around a lot, you'll lose em off the front or back of your head.  I think this is because they are a tad heavy, and top heavy at that.  but the band has never hurt or bothered me comfort wise.  just that if you lean too far forward or backwards theyll come off.  So prob not great for a drummer.  Whatever is in the sound sig makes it the least fatiguing can ive heard, but all ears are different.

and yeah, its a pretty mid centric sound.  Decent bass, but its not up front.  the mids and mid bass are up front.

May 24, 2011 at 12:54 PM Post #3 of 8
I have 'em as well as the 325is.  They feel a bit heavier but are more secure than the grados, at least for me.  I have no real comfort issues but they feel different in that you always know that you are wearing phones, whereas I find it easy to forget with the Grados.

May 24, 2011 at 12:56 PM Post #4 of 8
Their weight has never been an issue for me. I did have a problem, that was with the headband which was hurting the top of my skull. Since I liked them, I decided to ignore the inconvenience and now they're very comfy for me and I can wear them for hours (I can't really say if I got used to the headband or if it's the other way around).

May 24, 2011 at 4:42 PM Post #5 of 8
i dig the way they sound, and the build, but my SRH440s are NOT comfortable compared to my other pairs (Grado SR80s, Sennheiser HD555s, Koss KSC75s). But then, the Shures are closed and the others are open. I don't have any other closed ones to compare them to. But IMO, the Shures are heavy and could use more cushion on the headband, as it presses on the crown of my head. but maybe different head shapes will work better with them? And maybe the SRH840s have more padding?

May 24, 2011 at 6:44 PM Post #6 of 8
I've had the SRH840 for about a month now. Comfort wise I have had no issues at all. They are heavy, yes, but not so much that your neck starts to ache...like someone above me stated, if you put them too far back or too far forward they may slip off, depending on how much you have them adjusted.

May 24, 2011 at 9:28 PM Post #8 of 8

Quote:
Heard alot of bad things about the comfort on these... Are they so heavy that they give a neck-ache?

How heavy as compared to Grado SR325is? And do they feel secure on the head as compared to SR325is and M50? How is the headband ache as compared to the K701 (which I find is absolute torture).

Also is it fair to expect that the sound signature will be comparable to a full sized SE535 - ie. fairly mid-centric?

a few people are perfectionists and find them uncomfortable but they are really comfortable to me. heck i don't even need to use the extender. they may be heavy to some but i feel they are actually quite light, they definitely don't give me headaches or neck aches.

regarding the shure se535, the 535 will be better but you still get mid focus with these headphones.

you might want to look into the shure srh940 for comfort.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back