Comfort?! (AD700 or HD598 or K701)
Sep 10, 2012 at 6:05 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Julianese

New Head-Fier
Hello, this is a very confusing topic for me.

I have had the AD700 before which felt like pillows on the side of my head, although it did touch my ears which was a bit annoying, but others say that they could not get it to fit and made their ears hot and itch some.

I have tried the HD 598 at a store but it felt clampy, something perhaps to get used to, but others say that it is quite comfortable.

I have not worn the K701, but many people say that its middle bump on its headband is really annoying, while others say that it is not that bad.

I want ths issue to be solved, soo, if you have tried any of these headphones, would you kindly post what you thought of them, with a description of your head? I myself have a slightly small Asian triangular/oval head with a somewhat thick layer of hair. Thanks!

Sep 10, 2012 at 6:18 PM Post #2 of 7
I own the 598s. For me, they were great right out of the box; I can listen to them for hours on end and forget I'm wearing them. I have a large ovular head with somewhat long hair and am extremely particular about the comfort of headphones.  

Sep 10, 2012 at 8:37 PM Post #4 of 7
Quote:
 I myself have a slightly small Asian triangular/oval head with a somewhat thick layer of hair. Thanks!

I guess I would have the same head shape as you. I found the AD700 to fall loose a bit too often. Otherwise, very comfortable. The HD5xx series are usually really good in comfort for me as well. The clamp is the infamous Sennheiser clamp - you get used to it after the first few times. The K702s were an interesting case. Everyone has complained about the bump on the headband, but I really could not feel it at all. It is actually one of my favourite headphones in terms of comfort and usability, deeply regret giving them away, and might get a Q701 sometime in the future. I guess if you have thick, medium-long hair like us Asians usually do, we'd tend not to feel the bump really.

If I could rank them: HD598=K702>AD700. With the HD598 having a edge in terms of universal comfort.

Sep 10, 2012 at 9:35 PM Post #5 of 7
I've owned all three.  I think it's a tie with HD 598s and AD 700s, followed by K 701s.  That bump really bothered me.  The earcups of the 598s are deeper, but they clamp more.  You might look into the K 601s, which best all of them by a fair margin.

Sep 10, 2012 at 9:49 PM Post #6 of 7
1. HD-598 

They have less clamping force than any of the Sennheisers. The HD 600/ 650 were somewhat known for having a strong clamping force. The HD 598 was designed with less clamping force, and they DO stretch. Initially, the clamping force annoyed me but they stretched out over time. If the force is any less, they become too loose. 

2. AD700

I had some trouble getting the proper fit with these. Still quite comfortable but it's hard to adjust. A little too loose like someone said. 

3. K701 

Why AKG choose to use these headbands is beyond me... enuff said. Some people don't get discomfort from these bumps, but most people do. Other than that, they are quite comfortable. You can create your own padding on the headband but that would make it look dumb. 

Sep 10, 2012 at 10:30 PM Post #7 of 7
Heya,

If you're after comfort, there's two that come to mind immediately: Beyer & Denon.

For you, a Beyer DT880 or D2000 would be what I would suggest.

And for a third suggestion, less comfortable to me, but worth mentioning, the Hifiman HE-300 (revision 2).

Very best,

Users who are viewing this thread

Back