98 - 1
99 - 2
00 - 1
01 - 1
02 - 2
03 - 0
04 - 3
05 - 2
06 - 1 - (only year lone undefeated team lost in championship)

Early in the season, the media tends to get swept up in what if's.

The real answer to the question is just win baby, no matter how. SC, California, Wisconsin did that in their close games. Oklahoma, Florida, WVU came up short. Now they're going to need help if they still entertain thoughts of a BCS championship.

It ain't a beauty contest, it's a winning contest. The talking heads never remember that.

Sep 30, 2007 at 2:20 PM Post #182 of 628
Good point, virometal.

And yeah, Jigglybootch, I am all too well aware of tOSU. I was making a point that it seems pretty wide open this year. The Buckeyes look good, but they aren't invincible. Wisco or Purdue, or hell Illinois, COULD beat them. I'm not saying they WILL, but they COULD.

Sep 30, 2007 at 2:27 PM Post #183 of 628
Quote:

Originally Posted by Samgotit /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Viro, what's to say? I've been pulling for OU.

Did OU lose?
biggrin.gif
I've been in the game long enough to know nothing is guaranteed.

It was a perfect trap game:

1) OU never plays well at Colorado
2) No-one gave Colorado a shot
3) Texas is next week

Yep, I'm not surprised, but it doesn't make it hurt any less.
frown.gif
Congrats to CU. They played a fantastic game. Left it all on the field.

Man, that was one hell of a day of football. I'm still buzzing!
rs1smile.gif

Sep 30, 2007 at 7:21 PM Post #184 of 628
Quote:

Originally Posted by virometal /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Did OU lose?
biggrin.gif

I am an insensitive piece of crap. I pointed it out way to early in the process. I should have foreseen and subsequently respected the fact that you would still be in the denial stage of grieving. *wink*

-------

I got me a new favorite LSU stat:

Quote:

LSU is No. 1 in the AP poll for the first time since Nov. 2, 1959.

I know, I know... polls don't matter... except for today.
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 30, 2007 at 8:57 PM Post #185 of 628
Love the upsets.............Texas and Oklahoma exposed this week, they both play very weak early schedules and neither one looks impressive to me, time for new teams to move up the polls.

Time for shake up in Big East:
West Virginia, Rutgers, Lousiville exposed as overrated this year......the teams that will prevail here are South Florida and Cincinnati. SF just beat West Virginia and Cincinnati plays Rutgers this week, I predict Cincy win and Rutgers quickly fades away from top 20. Rutgers seeks payback for Cincy spanking them last year and taking away BCS bowl game, but Cincy too good right now. Nobody wants to play these two teams now they are legit.

SEC
Begins a muderous conference scedule now, be extremely hard for any SEC team to go undefeated this year, too much quality in conference. Auburn beating Gators on home field shows the balance here.......LSU gets Gators next and we see just how good they really are, FLA does not want 2 losses, Urban Meyer will pull out all the stops to win.
next 3 games for LSU:
Florida (ranked 9th)
Kentucky (ranked 8th)
Auburn

PAC 10
Just waiting for Cal and USC to get it on........USC not impresive with squeaker win over Washington, they were easily defeated by Ohio State week before 33-14

Big 10
Ohio State will get couple more easy games then Mich State, later Wisc

Sep 30, 2007 at 10:37 PM Post #186 of 628
Quote:

Originally Posted by DarkAngel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Begins a muderous conference scedule now, be extremely hard for any SEC team to go undefeated this year, too much quality in conference. Auburn beating Gators on home field shows the balance here......

I can't put too much credit into the post if you're going to knock other teams for being overrated, yet hide Florida behind the ole "SEC is so darn tootin' tough" defense.

Florida's OOC so far - Western Kentucky, Troy @ home. I would compare that to OU or Texas' OOC which you dismissed. Who have they beat? Ole Miss who Georgia just schlacked by 40? Tennessee who was manhandled at Cal? Heck if Tennessee is good why did Boise State beat Southern Miss worse than UT did? The gritty, tough SEC team the Gators just lost to, was beat by Mississippi State who LSU destroyed by 40. Don't knock SC for winning or Big East teams for losing and ignore the SEC with transitive score comparisons.

I would just say Florida was exposed, overrated as well. I give the SEC tons of props. I love the conference, but the constant bragging, whining about how it's so tough, which implies the other conferences are weak blah blah blah gets old.

Check out post #181. It's really not easy to go undefeated in any conference.

Oct 1, 2007 at 12:19 PM Post #187 of 628
Will not have to wait long to find out just how good Gators are, this week:
LSU vs Florida

Interesting in Gators loss to Auburn, Auburn beat them in 1st half but then 2nd half Gators stopped playing a passive soft defense and started playing much more agressive and had Auburn reeling.......if game were 5 minutes longer Gators would have won.

Note to Urban....play aggressive D from opening whistle!

Oct 1, 2007 at 3:41 PM Post #188 of 628
biggrin.gif
I think most CF fans are well aware of UF/LSU this week. Thanks for the helpful bold text though.
tongue.gif
A loss is a loss no matter how you sugar coat it with woulda shoulda's. When one takes in account Auburn's struggles, the game is in the Swamp, and Florida went 3 and out on their last drive, then let the Tigers go half the field for the final FG. Outside of the desperate 4th qtr comeback, Florida was well handled by Auburn that game. There's not much moral victory one can take from the loss. Florida shouldn't be about moral victories anyway.

I like the Tigers Saturdayu. LSU should contain Tebow and pound the Gator D. But you never know ...I'm really not sold on Florida as a top fifteen team, but they could change some minds next week with a win.

It was tough filling out my little fan poll after last weeks' carnage, so I decided to give lossless teams a nice bump.

1)LSU 2)Cal 3)USC 4)tOSU 5)S. Flor. 6)Wiscy 7)Mizzou 8)'tucky 9)BC 10)Arizona State

I have three Pac teams in the t10 with Oregon at 11! Cal is getting a ton of credit from me for winning in Eugene.

I'm not sure about Mizzou, 'tucky, BC, or ASU, but they haven't lost. Winning is what matters.

The attrition continues. D1 is down to 14 undefeateds with one of them UConn!

Oct 1, 2007 at 4:24 PM Post #189 of 628
Sorry for your loss, Virometal. It's weird but after this weekend either OU or tu will be 0-2 in the conference!

The most bizarre development is that A&M and OSU will be playing this Saturday for the undisputed lead of the Big 12 South!

I like LSU over Florida. Kentucky gets both LSU and Florida at home on back-to-back weeks in October, so that will make or break them. The Wildcats' QB, Woodson, is a stud.

Oct 1, 2007 at 7:49 PM Post #190 of 628
Orcin, your Aggies are hosting the world's greatest offense this weekend. They better be careful. "So get your facts straight!" "I'm a man!" "That ain't true!"

The Shootout has gone from Red River Aspiration to Red River Desperation! Extra reps are scheduled to man the suicide line in Austin and Norman Saturday night.

Speaking of the Horns, there's some booster chatter that Mack's thinkin' of hanging it up after this year - tired of the pressure in Austin. Geesh, the guy just gave them a crystal ball in 05! Silly Horns are never satisfied...

/Don't mean to hog the thread. Sorry guys, I love CF *shrug*

Oct 1, 2007 at 10:02 PM Post #191 of 628
Oklahoma State is 7th among 120 NCAA Div 1 teams in rushing offense. However, A&M is 5th, so I think we can hold our own there.

Oklahoma State is 46th in passing offense. Not so great, right? Well, A&M is 104TH! Throw in the fact that A&M's secondary runs from receivers like they carried the plague, and you can see why I am worried. Once Oklahoma State looks over the Miami game film, I can guess that their game plan is going to include a lot of play action passing.

Oct 2, 2007 at 5:19 AM Post #192 of 628
Your ranking of ASU at 10th is flattering, but I don't think they've beaten anyone of note to warrant that high of a rank. I'd put them in the mid to late teens right now. Their first test is in 2 weeks; so if they beat Wazzu and UW, they're top 10. Here's to hopin, I love me my Sun Devils.
evil_smiley.gif

Oct 2, 2007 at 1:44 PM Post #194 of 628
Quote:

Originally Posted by floydenheimer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Your ranking of ASU at 10th is flattering, but I don't think they've beaten anyone of note to warrant that high of a rank.

I agree. ASU is getting as much credit for not losing as winning. This week, I decided not to reward any one loss teams with a t10 ranking. That will change sooner or later obviously, so we'll see about ASU and other teams over the season, and my poll will adjust accordingly.

--

Orcin, since OSU replaced Reid with Robinson, they've been running even more run option and zone reads. ("That's Not True!") I think the aTm defense will be prepared to handle this. Zac R. is a hot/cold passer. His passing stats have come from yac's. It's cliche but which team tackles better will have the edge.

OSU doesn't play well on the road - the Pokes are 1-10 away from home under Gundy. ("Get Your Facts Straight!") I like aTm because of the 12th man. But it might be a barn burner for the Big 12 south lead. At least, the way I see it.

Oct 2, 2007 at 2:37 PM Post #195 of 628
Quote:

Originally Posted by DarkAngel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ohio State will get couple more easy games then Mich State, later Wisc

I think Michigan State is going to be an easy game. They aren't nearly as good as Wisconsin made them look. And while it was a good game in general, I'm really starting to have doubts about Wisconsin. I think they were better last season than they are this year...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back