College Football
Sep 23, 2007 at 5:33 PM Post #166 of 628
My favorite game of the day was Nike Sphere Uni's vs Nike Mesh Uni's on ESPN prime time.

Knowshon Moreno for the Mesh's is my new favorite player; what a jitterbug!

It was a great run of games for me. OkSU outscores Tech, UK rallies over the Hogs, it takes overtime for Mesh to finally put Sphere down, Iowa missed opportunity to upend Wiscy, then UCLA keeps Locker at arm's length - great games!

-

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab
With this week's Big-10 results, everyone will start leaning toward tOSU and being the best in the league. Yawn.

My thoughts exactly. What the heck is up with Wisconsin?

Sep 23, 2007 at 5:42 PM Post #167 of 628
Yeah, what IS up with Wisco??? They are playing well below their talent level, IMO, especially on offense.

Sep 23, 2007 at 11:51 PM Post #168 of 628
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
IWith this week's Big-10 results, everyone will start leaning toward tOSU and being the best in the league. Yawn.

That's because OSU is the best team in the Big 10. I said it before the season even started but I'll say it again...OSU is a lot better than people realize!

Sep 24, 2007 at 6:14 AM Post #169 of 628
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah, what IS up with Wisco??? They are playing well below their talent level, IMO, especially on offense.

Well, here's hoping that they continue playing well below their talent level for one more week at least. Quote:

That's because OSU is the best team in the Big 10. I said it before the season even started but I'll say it again...OSU is a lot better than people realize!

That remains to be seen. Most of your ranking is based off of last year's national championship rather than any defining victories this season. The NFL draft absolutely raped your team of all of last year's talent, and while your defense is still around, your offense has yet to be truly tested. Northwestern is nothing - even Duke beat them.

Sep 24, 2007 at 9:37 AM Post #170 of 628
Quote:

Originally Posted by Arainach /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The NFL draft absolutely raped your team of all of last year's talent

That's BS. We lost nothing on defense. And the offense, while inexperienced, is far better than anyone seems to be willing to admit.

Sep 24, 2007 at 6:05 PM Post #171 of 628
Ohio State fans have to like their team right now. If I were them, I wouldn't be proclaiming their greatness. I like my favorite squads to fly under the radar a little bit. Let the USC's, LSU's deal with the resulting pressure from media attention. Chances are, don't lose a game and any BCS conference team can expect to be in the big dance. In the end, winning is what matters, not what polls or rival fans say a quarter into the season.

The computer polls are noticing the Buckeyes..

The latest Sagarin has 1.USC 2.LSU 3.OU 4.tOSU 5.UF

He also has a BCS formula predictor: 1.OU 2.USC 3.LSU 4.UF 5.tOSU

What will hurt OU/OSU is that conference play is kicking up. Here's Sagarin's conference ratings via his formula:

1.Pac 10 2.SEC 3.Big East 4.Big 12 5.ACC 6.Big Ten

By some unforseen strange event, and three or more teams are undefeated at the end of the year, the Pac and SEC will push their corresponding undefeated teams to the top.

Sep 24, 2007 at 7:51 PM Post #172 of 628
The play of the weekend had to be the "no look over the head pass to the kicker" on the fake field goal by LSU. I loved seeing the embarrassed look on the face of Steve Superior!

Sep 30, 2007 at 5:11 AM Post #173 of 628
game notes report from Oregon.

1. Autzen stadium is unnaturally loud, even I sounded like I had a pipe organ for lungs... they must be doing something with that stadium. The stadium is also really beautiful. they have a great indoor practice field and a nice campus.
2. I got called "hippie," "Nerd" and other such names.
3. Cal got lucky, Oregon made a couple too many critical mistakes.
4. overall it was a nice experience, the fans were very much into it but not dangerously so, they're very nice.

other things... looks like Michigan is back. quite few top teams lost. USC looked sluggish, not their usual self. West Virginia (if that was really them) is slower than both Oregon and Cal... at least they looked it. Congrats to Colorado fans.

Sep 30, 2007 at 6:04 AM Post #174 of 628
Quote:

Originally Posted by granodemostasa /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Slightly ironic considering you were ready to wage biological warfare just to irk the tree people at one time. And I hope that was just Berkeley they were yelling at, not you personally.
tongue.gif

Good on Cal and the rest for moving up in the world today.

What a bizarre day of ball. Top 10 shuffles like a deck of cards.

LSU didn't come away from this day unblemished. They looked atrocious the first half against Tulane, but, unlike others, they recovered. Tulane gets the giant, pumping, bleeding heart award for that first half. We have to play a mad Florida next. Will still be a good game given the wake up calls both teams answered today. Favorite LSU stat so far: LSU's D has benched 5 starting QB's in 5 games played.

Viro, what's to say? I've been pulling for OU.

Sep 30, 2007 at 7:32 AM Post #175 of 628
Quote:

1. Autzen stadium is unnaturally loud, even I sounded like I had a pipe organ for lungs... they must be doing something with that stadium. The stadium is also really beautiful. they have a great indoor practice field and a nice campus.
3. Cal got lucky, Oregon made a couple too many critical mistakes.
4. overall it was a nice experience, the fans were very much into it but not dangerously so, they're very nice.

other things... looks like Michigan is back. quite few top teams lost. USC looked sluggish, not their usual self. West Virginia (if that was really them) is slower than both Oregon and Cal... at least they looked it. Congrats to Colorado fans.

I'd say Oregon was lucky for not losing by more. The refs almost cost us the game. First they call a ticky tacky late hit that allowed Oregon to get its first touchdown. The missed Cal field goal was also questionable. Then they don't call pass interference when the defender clearly pulled on Jackson's jersey when he would have had an easy touchdown. The margin of victory would have been greater if not for these pac-10 refs.

Sep 30, 2007 at 9:36 AM Post #176 of 628
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jigglybootch /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Texas is so overrated that it makes my brain hurt. But the way things are going, there's seriously a chance that OSU could end up playing for the national championship. I know that sounds stupid now, but look what happened when they won it in '03. They didn't start out ranked particularly high, and they didn't have any truly impressive victories, but they managed to make it to the number 2 rank and play Miami for the title. Louisville is out of the top ten. Texas is going to drop (it's only a matter of time). West Virginia is going to lose (they always do). If OSU can run the table (provided there are shakeups in the current top 4) they've got a legitimate shot.

Will this happen? It's a longshot, but the '03 situation leaves me with a glimmer of hope.

And so it begins...

Sep 30, 2007 at 9:39 AM Post #177 of 628
Quote:

looks like Michigan is back

Weren't they losing to Northwestern until the fourth quarter? I'd hate to see what would've have happened if Northwestern was any good.

Sep 30, 2007 at 1:23 PM Post #178 of 628
Quote:

Originally Posted by Samgotit /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Slightly ironic considering you were ready to wage biological warfare just to irk the tree people at one time. And I hope that was just Berkeley they were yelling at, not you personally.
tongue.gif

lol. yea... a short, four-eyed, Mexican hippie!
blink.gif

berkeley v. oregon games develop all kinds of funky shirts and rivalries: "Our hippies smell better than your hippies" "Bears! Hibernate!" "Cal sucks.... balls," "It never rains at Autzen!" (it did and the cal fans were cheering "Rain at Autzen!"... "our mascot can beat up your mascot" (see youtube)... and then the cal mascot put on a duck hunting uniform...

tOSU looks very good so far... i'd love to see them in the rose bowl.

Sep 30, 2007 at 1:53 PM Post #179 of 628
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jigglybootch /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Weren't they losing to Northwestern until the fourth quarter? I'd hate to see what would've have happened if Northwestern was any good.

If we hadn't give Michigan 4 shots from inside our own 25 yard line, they would have lost. Michigan is NOT back. They are mediocre at best. I love my Wildcats, but we aren't good this year (as OSU pointed out last week). Michigan has beaten only very iffy teams. Yesterday the Illini showed how badly Penn State was overrated. Michigan's wins against Penn State, Notre Dame, and NU. Facing a real top-25 yeam (Oregon), they got crushed. They will get completely dominated by both Ohio State and Wisconsin, and probably Michigan State.

Indeed, it was quite a day, holy cow. I was very happy to see the Big 12 get thrown into Big-10 style upheaval. And I agree with Samgotit, LSU looked shaky as hell for half the game. Really the SEC got the same helping of reality that the Big 12 did - LSU vulnerable, Florida and Alabama get beat by unranked teams. Every conference is anyone's to win. Purdue could win the Big 10. K-State could win the Big 12. South Carolina could still take the SEC. Only the Pac 10 seems to have clear, unflappable leaders, although at this point I'd pick Cal over USC.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back