College Football
Oct 2, 2007 at 5:40 PM Post #196 of 628
Quote:

Originally Posted by virometal /img/forum/go_quote.gif
OSU doesn't play well on the road - the Pokes are 1-10 away from home under Gundy. ("Get Your Facts Straight!") I like aTm because of the 12th man. But it might be a barn burner for the Big 12 south lead. At least, the way I see it.

A&M is a 6-point favorite this morning. I think that is a bit strong but... You are right about the home field avantage in Kyle; it's worth at least 3 points. OSU's 1-10 away mark is probably accounting for the other 3 points in the handicapper's mind.

I am sure that you have seen on your trip(s) to Kyle that the students bend over at the waist to make their yells louder. (They are really insane err... fanatic.) I expect that I will come home hoarse again Saturday night.
biggrin.gif

P.S. Are you going to Dallas for this week's game, or watching on TV?

My big screen should be in next week - I haven't forgotten that I owe you a review. I hope to be watching the TAMU-Tech game on it. It's been picked up by ABC for a 2:30 start. The A&M band is going to Lubbock for that one (my son is a snare drummer), but I don't expect they will show any of the halftime. It's too bad because that band is awesome.

Oct 3, 2007 at 5:49 PM Post #197 of 628
Yeah, I've been to every XII stadium except Royal, and Kyle was easily the loudest I've heard. We met a bud attending school there so experienced the whole deal - went to Yell practice, saw the dead dogs, talked some friendly trash with the cadets, went to the top of the East deck (scary high), and I even tried to kiss a cute co-ed after the first Aggie TD. OU was ranked no. 1 for the first time that week with many Sooners talkin' NC. OU received some humble pie that day. Reminds me of last Saturday. As Barry Switzer would say, "I'm only one game away from humility."

The couple of times I watched the Fighting Aggie band, it was pretty sharp outfit. I remember it's size and cisp miliary appearance - a real man's band so to speak! It's too bad we have to wait for bowl season to watch the bands on t.v. I would much rather watch that than Doug Flutie break down anything!

Shapes up to be an exciting day in the XII:

OU/UT
OSU/aTm
NU/Mizzou
KU/KSU

The contenders are going to start seperating.

Oh, and I'm not going to make Dallas this year. Wish I was! I've been seven times, and it's always tops. West End on Friday night, Split stadium, walking through the fair, always a hard hitting football game, it's a trip.

Oct 3, 2007 at 7:46 PM Post #198 of 628
Yes, it is a big day in the Big 12, indeed. It will also be an interesting day in the SEC with Florida at LSU and Kentucky at South Carolina.

I will be watching the OU/tu game in the air-conditioned comfort of Memorial Student Center between pre-game activities. Guess who the crowd in there will be rooting for...

By the way, did you know that A&M refuses to even acknowledge the score of Univ of Texas games on the Kyle Field scoreboard? They skip that game entirely. Now that's a rivalry, although it is one-sided as tu considers Oklahoma to be their arch-rival.

Oct 4, 2007 at 3:52 PM Post #199 of 628
Well, you guys should relate to the OSU fans then. Except OSU doesn't have near the tradition of A&M. They love to hate OU while OU loves to hate Texas.

I remember watching a FSN show a couple years ago where they interviewed a bunch of Horn fans and Texas sports columnists asking who UT's main rival was. It was almost split between OU/A&M. The Sooners had a slight edge, but one wonders if that could sway after a couple more 12-7 verdicts.

Have to love the big Thursday games. Tonight should be a good'un.

There's a really interesting match-up early Saturday - Wisconsin @ Illinois.

The books have anything from Wiscy (-1) to Ill. (-2.5).

Oct 4, 2007 at 4:05 PM Post #200 of 628
Tonight's game is a really nice matchup, and a surprisingly important game in the SEC race. Looking forward to it.

Totally agree about the Wisco - Illini game. This game will indicate exactly how seriously we should take either team.

Same really for the tOSU - Purdue game. If Purdue is for real, they will need to prove it, and the same for the Buckeyes.

I'm picking the Boilers.

Oct 5, 2007 at 5:37 PM Post #201 of 628
Kentucky committed a couple of key turnovers last night, and you can't do that in the SEC on the road. It doesn't get any easier for the Wildcats... their next two games are LSU and Florida!

I was born in Illinois and lived in Champaign-Urbana for a few years, so I am pulling for the Illini in that one. It's a little like UK in that they are playing over the heads and we are just waiting for the week that they come back to earth. Maybe it's tomorrow.

Oct 6, 2007 at 12:54 AM Post #202 of 628
WOW - Louisville getting spanked at home AGAIN. WOW. They were badly overrated, obviously. They can join Michigan and Penn State in the early-season overrated department.

Oct 6, 2007 at 3:15 AM Post #203 of 628
Quote:

Now that's a rivalry, although it is one-sided as tu considers Oklahoma to be their arch-rival.

Just because you're not the most hated doesn't make it a one-sided rivalry. Case in point: While the most famous rivalry is Michigan-Ohio State, there's still an insane amount of bad blood on both sides between Michigan and Michigan State.

Of course, that's not really a fair example since everyone hates Michigan and they're not exactly friendly to anyone else themselves.

Oct 6, 2007 at 3:52 AM Post #204 of 628
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
WOW - Louisville getting spanked at home AGAIN. WOW.

No kidding. That's three out of the last four. Sucks to be a Cardinal right now. I like to give teams one or two What losses, but Lousiville's card has expired.

Then again, didn't Utah beat UCLA soundly a couple weeks ago? Yet they lost @ Oregon State and UNLV (Rebels gave Wiscy good game) with a home loss to Air Force (who beat TCU)

CF a funny thing. This is shaping up to be another one of those seasons.

Look at Kentucky. The beat Louisville and Arkansas to ascend the rankings. Now their wins don't looks so hot. Who are the real contenders in the damn thing?
blink.gif

--

Oh, and it's not sexy, but Rice beat Southern Miss Wed. night. That's a big upset. Southern Miss had played BSU the prior Thursday, then turned around for a Wednesday game against Rice, totally hapless Rice, one of the worse teams in D1 - BCS.

Selfishly, I love the weeknight games, but the mid majors are getting screwed because of t.v. Go back to TCU. The Horned Frogs kill themselves trying for a upset of Texas on a Saturday night, then fly to Colorado for a Thursday game against Air Force that ends in a second straight loss. IMO, TCU lost that game due to scheduling.

Oct 6, 2007 at 4:28 PM Post #206 of 628
GO SC ..... that's UNIVERSITY OF SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA!!

Oct 6, 2007 at 6:31 PM Post #207 of 628
Quote:

Originally Posted by applevalleyjoe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
GO SC ..... that's UNIVERSITY OF SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA!!

I can't ****ing wait for the SC game against furd... rumor has it that the SC band will re-enact The Play at halftime.

Oct 6, 2007 at 10:03 PM Post #208 of 628
Hooray! My Wildcats won! And piled up over 600 yards of total offense on Sparty.

On the other hand, Wisco let the Illini burst their bubble. Yuck.

Go Boilers!

Oct 7, 2007 at 2:41 AM Post #209 of 628
That was disheartening. Ugh.

Fight on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back