College Football
Sep 4, 2007 at 12:15 AM Post #61 of 628
Quote:

Originally Posted by virometal /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well Tom's theory is tested next week. Oregon and Dennis Dixon are packing for the Big House. Dixon is most assuredly a run threat qb.

Thanks...like my weekend hasn't sucked enough already!!
eek.gif
biggrin.gif

Sep 4, 2007 at 1:10 AM Post #62 of 628
Quote:

You know TS wasn't much of a rusher in 2006 with 204 yds for the season and 2.8 per rush. In 06 he rushed four times for twelve yards against the Maize and Blue. Last year, I thought Michigan had more trouble with OSU's spread and offensive talent than the fact that Troy Smith was "mobile." I'm sure the OSU and UM fans will correct if I'm wrong.
smily_headphones1.gif
That was one hell of a game!

I was going to bring that up, but I was too lazy to actually find any statistics so I didn't even bother. I think Michigan still has reason to worry against OSU.

And that was one hell of a game. Thinking about it makes me sad that I graduated.

Sep 4, 2007 at 1:33 AM Post #63 of 628
Quote:

Originally Posted by elrod-tom /img/forum/go_quote.gif
eek.gif
biggrin.gif

Tom, being a LSU fan, I have no idea what it's like to have my gravy so thoroughly sopped up... to have a lesser team dangle that saturated bread in front of their puckered mouths... to have an opponent suck out the softest middle part... to have the leftovers thrown on my white loafers, and have the spatter from the impact stain the pant cuff of my seersucker suit... to bear their gluttonous, wasteful feast. Really, I have no idea. But it seems you need a little pick-me-up, though. Fire up your best headphone rig and open this catchy tune. It sure got my toe tapping.

evil_smiley.gif

Sep 4, 2007 at 6:05 AM Post #65 of 628
Quote:

Originally Posted by elrod-tom

Sorry, I really do feel for you, see Iron_Dreamer' post above mine. OU fans have received a-lot of ribbing from rival fans over the Boise State loss and will continue to.

How I look at is like this. OU has experienced a-lot of success. As a fan base, we're really lucky. Boise State will get a-lot of mileage out the Fiesta Bowl victory. To me their win meant a-lot more to them than the loss meant to OU.

So in the big picture, I'm happy for Boise State. Once the pain wears off, maybe you'll feel the same about App. State. That school will cherish that day forever. In ten years after Michigan has won another national championship or embraced another Heisman winner, Saturday's happenings will be a footnote.

Because sooner or later, Michigan will just get back to rolling.

It's easy to be a USC, Michigan, OU, LSU, whatever big time program fan. The real fans, to me, are the ones that show up when losses are outnumbering wins. Take Big Ten football pushover Indiana. I bet there's alums that have made every football game the last ten years. Those are the people I admire.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Iron_Dreamer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Didn't a certain team from the Northwest tell us this year that there are more than 6 conferences in Div-I?
wink.gif

My mistake, but that's all you have to say?
frown.gif
Thanks for commenting on OU.

I wouldn't read too much into that OU win. North Texas was not very good. OU ran receiver screens all game and scored touchdowns. North Texas stacked the box and left high school looking corners in single coverage.

I didn't watch Arkansas State and Texas, so I'll reserver my judgment. Assumptions, and all that.
wink.gif

TCU@Texas should be interesting next week.

--

Oh and by all means let's here from Conference USA, the Mountain West, the MAC, the WAC! Blinx? Bahamaman? Both your schools are looking good so far!

Sep 5, 2007 at 8:40 PM Post #66 of 628
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jigglybootch /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No amount of preparation is going to help. Michigan is still going to lose.

But of course, it doesn't really matter in the big picture because I still think Wisconsin is going to win the Big Ten.

On the second point, I agree that Wisconsin will win the Big 10 this year. I think they have the most talented football team AND the best coaching staff.

And while I am a die-hard Big 10 guy, being a Northwestern Alum, I think their win was no fluke. I bet Appalachian State can hang with most of Div-1. I think that in general, over the last few years, the Div 1-AA champion could probably hang with most of Div 1-A.

And can someone PLEASE tell the NCAA that this "bowl subdivision" and "championship subdivision" nomenclature is completely ridiculous?
biggrin.gif

Sep 5, 2007 at 11:58 PM Post #68 of 628
We've got a big weekend coming up gentleman. I'm like a pig in slop thinkin' about it. Here's the contests I have my eye on:

Thurs

Oregon State @ Cincinatti - 7:30 - Who am I kidding? I might watch this an hour before Saints/Colts.
tongue.gif

Sat

Miami @ (5)Oklahoma - 12:00 - Don't let Miami's lack of ranking fool you. This one's going to be a slug fest. I've seen many cream puffs march through Norman, and North Texas is the worst I can remember. Don't believe the Sooner buzz.

(16) Nebraska @ Wake Forest - 12:00 - Are the Huskers going to be focused with a certain L.A. school coming to Lincoln next week? Wake Forest wants that BC loss taste out of their mouth.

(10) California @ Colorado State - 2:00 - There's been some questions in this thread concerning Cal's defense. CSU can put up points. Could this one be interesting?

(22) Boise State @ Washington - 3:30 - BSU isn't a cinderella anymore. They can cement their big dog rep with a tough win at a rising UDub?

Oregon @ Michigan - 3:30 - Gee, do you think the Wolverines might come out a little mad in this game? Lose to Oregon and the nightmare stretch continues for a love or hate college power.

Troy @ (4)Florida - 3:30 - The word going around is that Troy is salty. Could they catch the young Gators napping in the swamp?

Notre Dame @ (14) Penn State - 6:00 - Are the love or hate em Irish going to run into another buzz saw in Happy Valley? Either way ESPN will talk about it all next week.

(19)TCU @ (7) Texas - 7:00 - A trendy upset pick. TCU beat OU in 05 and is coming off a 27-0 win over Baylor. Curse you Anne Richardson or otherwise TCU would be in the Big 12 over Baylor. Well, maybe thank you Mrs. Richardson!

South Florida @ (17) Auburn - 9:00 - Second week in a row Auburn in being pegged in danger of getting upset at home. Their offense didn't inspire confidence against K-State. Could this be a big early season win for the Big East?

And finally...

(9)Virginia Tech @ (2)LSU - 9:15 - Football wise, VT didn't gain much of a bandwagon last week. Personally, I thought they looked top 25 at best and think LSU is going to roll. Could I be wrong, and we get a good night game in Death Valley? I hope so.

(et)

My remote is ready, and my beer is cooling boyz! After many crap match-ups last week, this Saturday should be good.

Sep 6, 2007 at 12:55 AM Post #69 of 628
Hoping that Wake beats Nebraska, that Va Tech beats LSU, that TCU beats Texas, and that Penn State beats Notre Dame 77-0.

Sep 6, 2007 at 1:06 AM Post #70 of 628
I don't want wake to beat Nebraska... that job should be reserved for USC.

Penn State should beat ND, but I really hope they don't.

I want LSU to win... so that big mouth Miles could meet Cal in the Sugar Bowl.

I want Wash and Oregon to both win this week's games.

Sep 6, 2007 at 1:28 AM Post #72 of 628
Quote:

And finally...

(9)Virginia Tech @ (2)LSU - 9:15 - Football wise, VT didn't gain much of a bandwagon last week. Personally, I thought they looked top 25 at best and think LSU is going to roll. Could I be wrong, and we get a good night game in Death Valley?

A shaky offensive line (that may have been coach corrected by now) is about all VT could hope to "exploit". The Valley's going to be a loud, scary place Sat. night. It may be the biggest crowd VT has ever seen. Can Glennon handle them big bright lights? Lots of talk on even the LSU boards that he's much better than last week.

Quote:

I hope so.

Me too, but I'm going to say LSU 38 VT 7 (14 with a defensive score) as long as last week wasn't a preseason thing for VT.

I'm not nearly as confident when it comes to Thursday night.
smily_headphones1.gif
So where's the NFL thread, Viro?

I'd like to see the South Carolina vs. Georgia game. I think SC will be a more challenging game than VT. Hope to catch some Auburn, too.

Gots to respect the OP, so I'll check out Oklahoma early.

Quote:

Originally Posted by granodemostasa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I want LSU to win... so that big mouth Miles could meet Cal in the Sugar Bowl.

Thanks for the hearty belly laugh.
wink.gif

Sep 6, 2007 at 1:49 AM Post #73 of 628
Quote:

Oregon @ Michigan - 3:30 - Gee, do you think the Wolverines might come out a little mad in this game? Lose to Oregon and the nightmare stretch continues for a love or hate college power.

Turns out that I'm going to this game...taking my kids to their first ever Michigan football game. Long term forecast is for rain, possible thunderstorms. That would make for a sloppy game, and turn things unpredictable.

I'm not going to miss this game...I suspect that we're going to find out a lot about Michigan this weekend. They either close ranks and play up to their talent level...or crumble. Either way, it's going to be fascinating to watch. I can't think of a bigger game to take my kids to for their first game.
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 7, 2007 at 5:06 PM Post #74 of 628
I would not keep Louisville in the top 10 after that performance.

tonight Rutgers looked pretty good, I'd move them up a couple of slots.

Sep 7, 2007 at 6:28 PM Post #75 of 628
^ Yeah, I didn't watch, but that was not a pretty score. Out of curiosity, do you have a top ten?

Here's was mine after last week: 1.LSU 2.USC 3.Wisconsin 4.Oklahoma 5.California 6.Georgia 7.West Virginia 8.Florida 9.Louisville 10.Boise State

Most likely, I'll drop the Cards out of my t10 this week (like my part in a fan poll means anything
icon10.gif
) If Nebraska beats Wake, they'll be in there. That team looked confident, precise, and hungry. I'll also have the corner of my eye fixed on BYU@UCLA. Look good, and the Bruins make it to my t10 next week. That would give the Pac three there if the Bears take care of bizness.

--

Quote:

Originally Posted by Samgotit
So where's the NFL thread, Viro?

I don't own a monopoly on the new thread button.
tongue.gif
You know I would participate in it!

The only way I see VT getting it close is if they can keep their mits on the ball and make big plays in special teams. Even then, by the fourth quarter the Tigers should wear them down. You're right about Glennon. We shall see. I'm thinkin' 'round 24 - 10 or so. And that's being nice to VT. If LSU's offense improves from week one and starts to click, I think it could be worse.

I forgot about SC at Georgia. That should be a good one. I'm glad you'll check out the OU game. It's exciting whenever two big name college teams go at it - ranking or no.

I'll be there! *totally stoked*

If anyone cares, I have the Sooners covering in my pick 'em. There's a big time buzz around Norman right now. We'll see it's hubris or reality after Saturday when it comes to OU. Sooner fans have experienced some humbling losses in big non-conference games lately, so I'll prepare for the worst and hope for the best.

Match-up wise, the defenses look even - i.e. both very good. On offense, I'd line up OU's skill position talent with anyone in the nation outside of the Coliseum - big advantage for the Sooners as long as Sam Bradford plays heady and lets the other guys do the work.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back