Coke or Pepsi???
Aug 19, 2008 at 12:43 AM Post #106 of 162
Wine white so long as it's not to bitter!
tongue.gif
beerchug.gif

Oh I'd pick up a natural fruit juice or yogurt drink over any soda!

So I CAN only vote for the styling on the can
popcorn.gif

Aug 19, 2008 at 12:20 PM Post #108 of 162
Quote:

Originally Posted by GlendaleViper /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Coke is a pop, Pepsi is a soft-drink. I prefer pop. Although I've recently committed to only drinking Coke if I can find it in a glass bottle, this thread has compelled me to drop by the convenience store post-haste.

Stupid addictions.

I may be setting off something similar to the "this cable sounds better than that cable" debate, but I think Coke in a glass bottle is much better than Coke in a can. I can still get the small glass bottles in my neighborhood (either 6 or 8 ounces, I've forgotten), but nowhere to be found are the 12 ounce bottles of my childhood. You could get them in six-packs or from the old vending machines that had a column of round openings behind a narrow, swinging glass door. You would deposit the coins, pull open the door, and then reach into the round opening.

Next you would grab the bottom of the bottle (or was it the top?) and pull. The bottle would pop out, and the next one would fall THUNK! into place. The bottle would usually be teeth-chatteringly cold. Absolutely perfect on a warm New England afternoon in August.

Or as Grandpa Simpson is so fond of saying, "Back in MY day..."

Aug 20, 2008 at 3:33 AM Post #112 of 162
Both coke and pepsi are chock full of so much sugar you have no business drinking the stuff. With pepsi however, this intense sweetness is readily apparent, and so I much prefer coke (in a can, and very cold).

But pepsi gets points for tasting more like cola than cocacola.

Aug 20, 2008 at 11:02 AM Post #113 of 162
Diet Coke.

Aug 20, 2008 at 9:02 PM Post #115 of 162
Neither for me. I had one sip of Coke as a kid and hated it. I haven't tasted a cola since. I drank a few orange sodas as a teenager, but no sodas of any type for over 30 years. Since I never really developed a taste for them, I don't miss them at all.

Aug 20, 2008 at 9:35 PM Post #116 of 162
Quote:

Originally Posted by scompton /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Neither for me. I had one sip of Coke as a kid and hated it. I haven't tasted a cola since. I drank a few orange sodas as a teenager, but no sodas of any type for over 30 years. Since I never really developed a taste for them, I don't miss them at all.

:0 you don't like the bubble, bubbly or you don't like sweet taste? do you like beer?

Aug 20, 2008 at 10:19 PM Post #117 of 162
Quote:

Originally Posted by fhuang /img/forum/go_quote.gif
:0 you don't like the bubble, bubbly or you don't like sweet taste? do you like beer?

I don't like the artificial carbonation and I hate sweet drinks. The few soft drinks I did drink as a teen were non carbonated like Orange Crush of Fanta. The one taste of Coke that I had, and this was something like 40 years ago, tasted like poison. Even though I was hot an thirsty, and Coke was the only thing around to drink, I decided hot and thirsty was better than the taste of Coke. I never had a desire to try it again.

I do like good, malty beer. But the carbonation is totally different, especially in the dark, malty beers I like the best. I don't like the carbonation in typical mass market beers. But a lot of those don't use enough barley malt, so they have to put all types of chemicals in them to keep them from being fizzy like sodas.

I'm not a big fan of the carbonation in champagne, but it's better than sodas.

Aug 20, 2008 at 10:32 PM Post #118 of 162
Quote:

I do like good, malty beer. But the carbonation is totally different, especially in the dark, malty beers I like the best. I don't like the carbonation in typical mass market beers. But a lot of those don't use enough barley malt, so they have to put all types of chemicals in them to keep them from being fizzy like sodas.

Most mass-market beers are not naturally carbonated. They add the fizz to conform to what the market wants: soda with alcohol.

The carbonation in naturally brewed beers has a different "feel" and it tends to be much more subtle.

I wonder if you have tried any cask-conditioned, "hand pump" brews? These are naturally carbonated, and the carbonation is much more subtle. I go to a couple of bars here in NY that offer hand pumps (I mean, the bartender literally has to pump the beer out of the tap. This takes some elbow grease!). I alway snicker when some novice takes a first sip, makes a face and says, " Eww...this is flat!" It's not flat, of course, but it's not "beer soda."

Aug 20, 2008 at 11:51 PM Post #120 of 162
Quote:

I don't like the artificial carbonation and I hate sweet drinks. The few soft drinks I did drink as a teen were non carbonated like Orange Crush of Fanta. The one taste of Coke that I had, and this was something like 40 years ago, tasted like poison. Even though I was hot an thirsty, and Coke was the only thing around to drink, I decided hot and thirsty was better than the taste of Coke. I never had a desire to try it again.

I'm not a big fan of the carbonation in champagne, but it's better than sodas.

what about sparkling water?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back