Coke or Pepsi???
Aug 21, 2008 at 1:18 AM Post #122 of 162
Quote:

Originally Posted by gevorg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Neither, both are horrible to your health.

In the quantities in which they are normally consumed, yes, they are horrible for your health. If you drink 32 oz of cola (brand is irrelevant) every day, you will inevitably get fat, with all of the health consequences that go with obesity. But if you look at colas as a treat, they can be safely enjoyed without fear of damage to your health.

The same goes for alcoholic beverages, fatty foods, etc.

Moderation in all things.

Wow. I just re-read my post. Remind me to take my own advice. Hee hee.

Aug 21, 2008 at 2:39 AM Post #123 of 162
Pepsi at the moment.... used to drink Coke when it was made with cane sugar instead of that nasty corn syrup... would go back to Coke in a heartbeat if they went back to cane sugar... not sure what Pepsi uses, but if its corn syrup, they mask it better!

Aug 21, 2008 at 5:04 AM Post #124 of 162
Pepsi .. but only diet and barely a couple times a month. I can't drink any regular sweetened soda any more. Try Tab for two weeks and watch how it will change your buds. My mains are flavored water (my own) and coffee (nectar of the gods).
wink.gif

Aug 21, 2008 at 12:24 PM Post #125 of 162
Pepsi is too sweet.

Quote:

Pepsi at the moment.... used to drink Coke when it was made with cane sugar instead of that nasty corn syrup... would go back to Coke in a heartbeat if they went back to cane sugar... not sure what Pepsi uses, but if its corn syrup, they mask it better!

If you buy coke around Passover (American Easter time), it's made with cane sugar. Look for yellow caps on the bottles, and special markings on the cans/cases.

Aug 21, 2008 at 1:18 PM Post #126 of 162
Quote:

Originally Posted by Blueiz /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I haven't seen Jolt Cola in years, but when it was introduced, the slogan was "All the sugar and twice the caffeine." The selling points were the caffeine, erm, jolt, and the fact that they stuck with cane instead of going to HFCS like virtually all of the mass market soft drink manufacturers.

Edit: Never mind. I checked Wikipedia, and it seems that they eventually went to HFCS. I do like my corn on the cob, but I'm starting to think corn is the evil crop.
evil_smiley.gif

Aug 21, 2008 at 2:39 PM Post #128 of 162
Quote:

Originally Posted by DrBenway /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Most mass-market beers are not naturally carbonated. They add the fizz to conform to what the market wants: soda with alcohol.

The carbonation in naturally brewed beers has a different "feel" and it tends to be much more subtle.

I wonder if you have tried any cask-conditioned, "hand pump" brews? These are naturally carbonated, and the carbonation is much more subtle. I go to a couple of bars here in NY that offer hand pumps (I mean, the bartender literally has to pump the beer out of the tap. This takes some elbow grease!). I alway snicker when some novice takes a first sip, makes a face and says, " Eww...this is flat!" It's not flat, of course, but it's not "beer soda."

I used to brew my own, so I'm very familiar with good beer. I've had cask conditioned beer, but I don't think I've ever had hand pumped.

Quote:

Originally Posted by fhuang /img/forum/go_quote.gif
what about sparkling water?

I've never had any that I've liked, even the naturally carbonated.

Aug 21, 2008 at 8:55 PM Post #131 of 162
Currently sipping an ice-cold Coke, from an 8 oz classic "hobbleskirt" bottle. God bless my corner Bodega.

Aug 21, 2008 at 9:24 PM Post #133 of 162
I'm more of a Coca Cola guy myself

Users who are viewing this thread

Back