cmoy problem - opamp getting hot
May 5, 2006 at 9:08 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 35

Eisenhower

500+ Head-Fier
I finished assembling my cmoy (standard layout with 470uf caps and with a rail splitter for the virtual ground), and when I hook my 9v battery up, the LED comes on (although quite very dim) and the opamp gets very hot, too hot to touch.
How should I troubleshoot shoot this?

May 5, 2006 at 9:12 PM Post #2 of 35
have you gone here, yet?

Also, post some pics.

You might also want to try swapping out the opamp, but if it's getting that hot, let's see some pics first.

Are you getting any sound?

May 5, 2006 at 9:12 PM Post #3 of 35
First check DC offsets and current draw. Check Tangent's troubleshooting article.

Damn Monkey, beat me by 2 seconds
smily_headphones1.gif

May 6, 2006 at 4:12 AM Post #4 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Monkey
You might also want to try swapping out the opamp, but if it's getting that hot, let's see some pics first.

^ and use some cheap, easily available Opamp to try it out with. most probably it will get burned, along with the last Opamp that you've used.
eggosmile.gif

don't wanna burn some expensive Opamp now do you? use some TL072/TL082 or other jellybean chips.

May 6, 2006 at 7:42 PM Post #5 of 35
Here are some pics:

I left some leads still on /\
On the opamp socket, one of the inputs got quite hot when I was soldering and melted the surrounding plastic, I checked it with a DMM and it seems fine

If you need better pics let me know, I will go through tangents troubleshooting guide soon.

May 6, 2006 at 8:28 PM Post #7 of 35
First apparent problem is you have the socket in backwards (the notch should be pointing down, not up as you have it). If you plugged the opamp in with pin 1 up (as your socket is) you toasted it, and that would explain the heat.

May 6, 2006 at 10:53 PM Post #8 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pars
First apparent problem is you have the socket in backwards (the notch should be pointing down, not up as you have it). If you plugged the opamp in with pin 1 up (as your socket is) you toasted it, and that would explain the heat.

I was under the assumption that the socket direction was not important?
also, like I said, I think the pin that melted on the socket is still functional.

May 6, 2006 at 10:59 PM Post #10 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by Eisenhower
also, like I said, I think the pin that melted on the socket is still functional.

Well the socket direction isn't that much of an importance, it's only there to guide you in inserting the OP-Amp. The semi-circular notch in the opamp and socket is suppose to be oriented downwards accordingly to the Tangent Cmoy instructions. If you oriented it the wrong way you basically are sending V+ to V- (and vice versa) on the op-amp. Also as someone else said, you might have wired your TLE2426 wrong. Not to sure about that, but you should check it nonetheless.

May 6, 2006 at 11:10 PM Post #11 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by FallenAngel
First check DC offsets and current draw.

Don't do this, as there's obviously something wrong with the circuit, and by the time you make these measurements you'd probably fry your opamp.

Quote:

The direction of the socket isn't crucial, but it's an important marker to tell you how to properly align your opamp. Too late now, but you can still work around it by remembering to insert the opamp OPPOSITE to the notch on the socket.

May 7, 2006 at 3:15 AM Post #14 of 35
Yeah, you're TLE is wired incorrectly.

Quote:

We all know about assumptions
rolleyes.gif
. Regarding the socket, yeah the notch is just a guide, but really, do it right. What if you pass the amp on to someone (or sell it)? Sockets are what, 50 cents? Replace it.

Also, it appears that your right electrolyic cap may be incorrect polarity. Make sure the polarity on both electrolytics is correct.

Did you bother reading Tangent's guide? Do you have a meter (DMM)? Did you check your voltages or just slap stuff together and fire it up? A little effort on your part before hopping up here and asking for help will go a long way.

May 7, 2006 at 7:45 PM Post #15 of 35
I fixed the tle and mounted the opamp correctly, nothing gets hot anymore

But, I tried hooking up a pcdp and a pair of cheapo headphones like tangents guide said and when the battery isnt hooked up, it sounds like just a pcdp, but when the battery is hooked up, the signal gets very faint and crackley.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back