CMOY or E5 amp for M50
Mar 6, 2011 at 5:17 AM Post #16 of 21
Sorry exec-, getting you confused with ThumperSD (OP).  Pity about the ZuneHD - doesn't seem to be a parabolic equalizer option.  If you get the amp, can you post back later with your impressions?  I'd be interested in what you think.

Mar 6, 2011 at 6:19 AM Post #17 of 21
ok. i used to have the iPod touch and compared it with the Zune HD. the Zune hd even without proper eq still had a much clearer sound than the ipod. 

I'll be getting the E5 soon probably ... hoping that it will only add bass and not distort the sound :p 

Mar 9, 2011 at 6:47 AM Post #18 of 21
I have the E5 and do think of it more as a toy than an amp.  But now that I have it, I occasionally wear my Etymotic Hf5s.  I like those IEMs because they have great isolation and I love the sound, but they are light on bass.  Now they are a viable option for me.  I have M50's and have run the E5 a couple times but it doesn't really work for me.  The E5 is about portability and the M50 isn't.  The M50 has enough bass for me, so the bass boost is moot.  So now it's just a tiny amplifier - and not much of one when trying to deal with the M50.  It gets it a touch louder - that's about it.  But hey - it's only $20.  You could simply try it.

Mar 11, 2011 at 6:12 PM Post #20 of 21
I have the 120gb ipod classic. I also find it hard to believe that the E5 is worse than the internal amp but who knows. I realized that not all cmoy amps are not made the same so their performance varies. Im going to look at that cmoy with a bass boost. I was leaning towards the E5 due to its size but sound quality (along with increase bass output) is the most important thing to me.

Everything that I connect to my ipod is connected via LOD except for my M50 so this is pretty much the last step for me. And if anybody can recommend me a good bang for buck LOD cable, id appreciate it.

Mar 15, 2011 at 4:13 PM Post #21 of 21
As far as LODs go, you could go for any of the Fiio Ipod LODs (around 10-15 dollars), commission a kind-hearted DIY'er to build a LOD (maybe $20), build a LOD yourself (varies), or go for the ZYCABLE LODs (a friend has one and it's lasted for a while).  I'm not sure if 100+ USD LODs make enough audio improvement to justify the price gap, but get whatever suits your budget. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back