CMOY or E5 amp for M50
Mar 4, 2011 at 5:59 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

ThumperSD

100+ Head-Fier
I want a little more bass out of my M50. I want an amp for both portability and home use. Here is my setup:

Home: Foobar > Musiland 02 US DAC > M50
Portable: iPod > M50

Will a Cmoy or E5 amp be beneficial if I want to squeeze a little more bass out of these?

Edit: I want to clarify that portable means using it at school while im studying; not running or anything
Edit2: Using a 120gb ipod classic

Mar 4, 2011 at 6:09 PM Post #2 of 21
Considering the fact that the E5 has a "bass boost" feature, yes it should give you some more bass.  The CMOY might help the refining it, but no bass boost.

Mar 4, 2011 at 6:24 PM Post #3 of 21
Yea after reading the thread provided below I got the impression that the E5 with bass boost will give me more and deeper bass than a cMoy. It is also a bit cheaper and smaller. Is there any reason for me to get a cMoy over the E5?

And would either of these compliment my DAC nicely?

Mar 5, 2011 at 3:34 AM Post #5 of 21
E5 is a joke. Its way worse than an internal amp. I don't see why people buy them.  I stopped purchasing all Fiio products because they sell such a gimmick of a product. FiiO has cheap cables, thats what they are good for, preventing you from paying ripoff prices for pretty looking ALO cables.   Also, don't believe anything about Meelectronic headphones being any good.  These forums have good and bad advices(dishonest).  If you try out stuff on your own, you'll realize which are the bad advices. 

Get a real amp.  This CMOY has bass boost:  
http://www.jdslabs.com/  

Mar 5, 2011 at 4:08 AM Post #6 of 21

Quote:
E5 is a joke. Its way worse than an internal amp. I don't see why people buy them.  I stopped purchasing all Fiio products because they sell such a gimmick of a product.  They sell cheap cables though.

Get a real amp.  This CMOY has bass boost:  
http://www.jdslabs.com/  

thank you! i'll probably be avoiding FiiO :)

but i was moving towards the FiiO due to its design.. the CMOY are kinda big.. not to be used while walking and using IEMs...
i was looking for more bass on the move while using my earphones. 

Mar 5, 2011 at 7:43 AM Post #7 of 21
Exec - 
Don't just write of Fiio - they make very good entry level products - so please also read other advice on this forum.  People's experience will be very different.  I'm relatively new here, and just bought an E7 - it is excellent - especially for me being new to this whole scene.

Here is a post you should read - controversial to be sure - but draw your own conclusions.  The whole thread is actually worth reading.

If you do want to try an E5 it's only going to set you back around $20 - so decide for yourself!  If you don't like the change, no great loss.  But don't write off Fiio just because of one post.  The E7 for me has been great - wonderful value for money (to me), great SQ gain (to my ears) and doubles as AMP and DAC.  Best thing is that if I get harder to drive cans later, I can pair it with the E9 and I'm set.

BTW - you don't mention which iPod you're using - maybe there are other options to EQ and get what you're after.  The Touch now has two apps (Equ and Equalizer) which offer great EQ options.

Hope this helps.

Mar 5, 2011 at 10:19 AM Post #8 of 21
ok.. i'm so confused now..
i just ordered some new expensive IEMs, and wanted to get something not expensive.. so the FiiO E5 are still on my list..
it's either that or nothing actually.. the CMOYs look weird :p i don't see myself carrying that ! if i want to use it at home, ill connect it to my actual AMP...

i'll probably order it next month :p 

Thank you Broko ^_^

Mar 5, 2011 at 3:02 PM Post #11 of 21

Quote:
ok.. i'm so confused now..
i just ordered some new expensive IEMs, and wanted to get something not expensive.. so the FiiO E5 are still on my list..
it's either that or nothing actually.. the CMOYs look weird :p i don't see myself carrying that ! if i want to use it at home, ill connect it to my actual AMP...

i'll probably order it next month :p 

Thank you Broko ^_^

Reason why you should not get an E5. To me, it does nothing more than muddies up the sound.  Thats why I would either just use the internal amp, or get a amp that improves the sound rather than degrades it.  I'm not sure if you are ok with raising the volume with degrade in sound quality, or you want to improve the sound quality though a good amp.  Its your choice, your money. 

Mar 5, 2011 at 5:37 PM Post #12 of 21
High_Q
Just to clarify - I haven't tried the E5, so cannot comment on it.  I do own the E7 - and it does make (for me) a huge difference both as a DAC and as an amp.  My reason for the rebuttal was your original post:

Quote:
I stopped purchasing all Fiio products because they sell such a gimmick of a product.

I think you'll find that a lot of people on here acknowledge Fiio as creating very good entry level products.  They may not compete with their more expensive counterparts - but they definitely aren't gimmicks - and the company obviously cares about what they produce (just follow their reps contributions on Head-Fi).  The link I left in my first post is worth reading - OK it's discussing the E9 - but it's put up against a beta22 (a $129 vs $1000) - and it does well.

Exec-
Which IEM did you end up getting?  I noticed with my E7 that it appears to give my SE420's a little more separation, clarity, and base punch - but it's much more noticeable (for me) on cans than IEM's.  Anyway - you could start with the E5, and see if that does make a difference.  Fiio do have an E11 coming out very soon which should be quite a nice AMP, and might retail around $65.  If I hadn't already bought the E7, I probably would have gone E11+E9.  But saying that, I am VERY happy with my E7.

Mar 5, 2011 at 6:30 PM Post #13 of 21
i ended up getting the Phiaton PS200 and it is said across several threads and reviews that they kinda lack bass.

That's what i am fearing.. for the volume, i don't think i will be increasing it.. only a bass boost should be enough i think..

Mar 5, 2011 at 7:23 PM Post #14 of 21
OK - what generation and model iPod?  Just checking to see if there a re EQ options available as well .....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back