Closed Warm Detailed Headphone ($130-550) to use with DAC
Feb 16, 2022 at 10:14 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

Cyberwlf

New Head-Fier
Hello!

I am hoping to get some recommendations please for some new headphones to use with at least my iFi Gryphon, but also my iFi Nano iDSD Black Label DAC (though this is less important to me). So, the headphones need to support a wired connection (don't mind them supporting wireless connections too). My budget is around $130-$550 USD (or about £100-£400).

Currently, have:
- Sennheiser HD-25s
- Beyerdynamic DT-770 Pro
- Sony WF-1000-XM4 IEMs (My only wireless earphones)
- ..and Sennheiser Momentum IEMs

Historically, i've also owned Sony MDR-EX650APs, SoundMAGIC E10 (was never really sold on these), various Sennheiser IEMs (not entry level, but not miles above it either).

Need the headphones to be closed (not open), even though i'm aware that this can impact the sound quality, as leaking sound would cause issues with those around me at times.

Looking for headphones that preferably support upto 48Khz (if possible with my budget, would be happy for higher than this as well, but don't want to fool myself that this will be possible), or close enough to it, as I listen to a variety of HiRes audio, in addition to lower resolution lossy audio (eg. Spotify). In addition to using my DAC, I also have SoundSource 5 on my Mac, that I use at times to effectively re-master lossy audio on the fly (e.g. using its built in software DSP, built in filters + 3rd party AU filters).

Also, accordingly, looking for a great sound stage/dynamic range, with a warmer but detailed sound (e.g. nothing too bass heavy, but also don't want to sacrifice detail where I can avoid doing so). I listen to everything from electronic/dance music, to metal and rock, to classical and musicals.

I'm aware of various options within the price range that are open headphones that are recommended and could match my requirements, but for closed headphones, i'm not confident on what is appropriate (or even within budget).

Any advice that could be provided would be highly appreciated!

Last edited:
Feb 16, 2022 at 1:58 PM Post #3 of 16
I think the 770 are hard to beat value wise in the closed back market. It takes EQ well if thats an option

Feb 16, 2022 at 4:53 PM Post #5 of 16
I think the 770 are hard to beat value wise in the closed back market. It takes EQ well if thats an option
I do quite like my 770s, one of my issues with it (and what sometimes drives me to not using it), is that I feel it's too tight, at least for me anyhow. So, this means after a number of hours, it starts to become too uncomfortable for me to keep using.

Feb 16, 2022 at 4:56 PM Post #6 of 16
Last edited:
Feb 16, 2022 at 9:11 PM Post #8 of 16
Second This.
Looks like that's effectively three for this one already. I noticed that compared to say the Beyerdynamic, it has a narrower frequency response, but does this tend to have any real (e.g. meaningful) impact on the sound with Hi-Res audio?

FWIW, i'm aware that reviews of this are glowing (even if they do date back to 2015..).

Last edited:
Feb 17, 2022 at 1:47 AM Post #9 of 16
I do quite like my 770s, one of my issues with it (and what sometimes drives me to not using it), is that I feel it's too tight, at least for me anyhow. So, this means after a number of hours, it starts to become too uncomfortable for me to keep using.
In that case, I'd go for something else. Mine is quite comfortable but pretty old (20 yrs+) so the headband might not be as tight anymore. I wouldn't go for ndh-20, it's tighter, and the FR is messed up.

Feb 17, 2022 at 12:55 PM Post #10 of 16
In that case, I'd go for something else. Mine is quite comfortable but pretty old (20 yrs+) so the headband might not be as tight anymore. I wouldn't go for ndh-20, it's tighter, and the FR is messed up.
Yeah, it is more comfortable than it was (..had it for about 15 years?), but even with new pads etc the comfort issue becomes a factor when listening for longer periods of time.

The description of the ndh-20 in the related thread is putting me off, in the sense that i'm reading 'neutral' as being 'clinical', whether accurate (or not) your typical 'studio' headphones can be too much like this, the Beyerdynamics have been one of those exceptions where at least the bass is pronounced enough that it still has a more 'entertaining' and less flat sound.

The Shure SRH1540's sound like an interesting competitor though, would be interesting to know a comparison between these and the Beyerdynamics. BTW Do you have the 80 or 250 Ohms 770s?

Feb 17, 2022 at 4:00 PM Post #12 of 16
Yeah, it is more comfortable than it was (..had it for about 15 years?), but even with new pads etc the comfort issue becomes a factor when listening for longer periods of time.

The description of the ndh-20 in the related thread is putting me off, in the sense that i'm reading 'neutral' as being 'clinical', whether accurate (or not) your typical 'studio' headphones can be too much like this, the Beyerdynamics have been one of those exceptions where at least the bass is pronounced enough that it still has a more 'entertaining' and less flat sound.

The Shure SRH1540's sound like an interesting competitor though, would be interesting to know a comparison between these and the Beyerdynamics. BTW Do you have the 80 or 250 Ohms 770s?
I have the 80 Ohms version currently, but I've owned all of them over time. There isn't really a difference sonically. I chose 80 because it works with most of my equipment.

Feb 19, 2022 at 12:09 AM Post #14 of 16
Just to ask, do you know what the state of these are? I know it's used, but is it effectively 'as new', 'very good', or something else? The listing doesn't really make it clear.

Looking at those pictures and pictures of like-new SRH1540s, I would say that they have been used less than 20 times from the lack of wear on the headband and ear pads. Just get a bottle of anti-bacterial foam soap, then drench the alcantara ear pads in warm water, then pump soap at 4 different spots on each ear pad, then scrub the ear pad down for a minute or two and re-drench in water, and flatten with both hands and repeat a few times. Flatten with both hands to dry completely and use a hair dryer to dry off the surface and foam as much as possible for 10-15 minutes and let them air dry in front of a fan. I do this for reusable fabric ear pads and it not just washes out sweat and dirt, but also kills off bacteria and oil from the anti-bacterial nature.

Feb 19, 2022 at 10:31 AM Post #15 of 16
Looking at those pictures and pictures of like-new SRH1540s, I would say that they have been used less than 20 times from the lack of wear on the headband and ear pads. Just get a bottle of anti-bacterial foam soap, then drench the alcantara ear pads in warm water, then pump soap at 4 different spots on each ear pad, then scrub the ear pad down for a minute or two and re-drench in water, and flatten with both hands and repeat a few times. Flatten with both hands to dry completely and use a hair dryer to dry off the surface and foam as much as possible for 10-15 minutes and let them air dry in front of a fan. I do this for reusable fabric ear pads and it not just washes out sweat and dirt, but also kills off bacteria and oil from the anti-bacterial nature.
Thanks, sounds like they're pretty close to what might be classed as 'as new' then. Thanks for all those instructions, must admit, i've only ever just replaced my ear pads on headphones before, so it's interesting to know how to clean it too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back