CLOSED to NEW - See AudioTiers in my Signature: US Head-Fi Tour: VISION EARS ELYSIUM vs. VE8 vs. ERLKöNIG TOTL CIEM Tour - Starting November 2019
Jan 23, 2020 at 7:52 PM Post #136 of 775
confirming receipt of the erlky from @rantng.

listening now. definitely something interesting going on with these...

Last edited:
Jan 23, 2020 at 8:00 PM Post #137 of 775
...damn...

Jan 23, 2020 at 8:09 PM Post #138 of 775
first thoughts on how these sound is the A18 + M5 smashed together...

Jan 23, 2020 at 8:56 PM Post #140 of 775
wow, that's a shame.

these things fit like a glove...in my ear.

more thoughts:

- these have the most overall detail i've ever heard in an iem...even beyond the double tia power of the fourte, based on memory
- sound is delivered effortlessly with massive headroom
- i hear zero discernible peaks or weaknesses in the frequency response (these are warmly tuned, and undoubtedly tuned for fun...but there is so much effortless detail...)
- universal fit is also the best i've encountered

one thing i miss, and will continue to miss until i have one of my own, is the ultra smooth and organic vocals of the elysium. just can't shake the memory of the elysium vocals. i've never heard anything else like it...

really sorry you couldn't enjoy these, phong...

Jan 23, 2020 at 9:00 PM Post #141 of 775
Yeah, I felt kind of dejected the whole time I had them. I could definitely hear their potential and from my initial impression I was impressed, but in the end it was a struggle to maintain their fit (on-the-go use was impossible). Curse my mole ears.

Jan 24, 2020 at 8:25 AM Post #142 of 775
one thing about the Elysium and VE8 was that they're huge. I've never had any issues with IEM size before
but these were not IEMs that I could comfortably wear for extended listening sessions. I did get the best seal of
any universal IEM I've ever had.
@toaster22, is the Erlkoenig as big as the Elysium and VE8?

Jan 24, 2020 at 8:45 AM Post #143 of 775
@toaster22, is the Erlkonig as big as the Elysium and VE8?

fit on these is the best i've seen in a universal.

they are also surprisingly small considering the driver count, and unexpectedly shallow in the ear. and because they're made of silver and heavy metal, sound isolation is exceptional for a universal.

this is a product that is meant to make a statement, and it's clear a significant amount of thought was given to both sound and design. i find these to be extremely comfortable and to fit better than the universal elysium or ve8...but remember the erlky is meant to be a universal and the elysium and ve8 are both meant to be custom. so, far less thought has been given to the universal design of the elysium or ve8.

i can't say these have the best sound i've ever heard, or are the best for my preferences, but i believe that most who hear these will undoubtedly agree almost immediately that they are very impressive transducers. (of course, you can modify the sound with 4 settings, but i'm leaving things on the bassiest setting right now, since my a18t essentially already provides an uber analytical and neutral sound.)

in my mind, they are easily up there with the a18 (64 Audio), m5 (FiR Audio), and VE's other tuning masterpiece, the elysium.

the thing that i am most impressed with after hearing the elysium and the erlky is that ve are truly masters at tuning multi-driver and hybrid-driver iems for breathtaking musicality and emotion.

Last edited:
Jan 24, 2020 at 8:58 AM Post #145 of 775
one thing about the Elysium and VE8 was that they're huge. I've never had any issues with IEM size before
but these were not IEMs that I could comfortably wear for extended listening sessions. I did get the best seal of
any universal IEM I've ever had.
@toaster22, is the Erlkoenig as big as the Elysium and VE8?

Although it was a tight fight I had better luck with the VE8, but did have fit issues with Elysium. It does have a slim profile, but it was still large for my small-ish ears. I had to slightly force the top portion underneath my pinna and then it would cause the tops of my ears to stick out at a funny angle. Had the same issue with Erlkonig, but because of the smooth metal shell the IEMs would constantly pop out.

Jan 24, 2020 at 9:00 AM Post #147 of 775
^

Jan 25, 2020 at 1:05 PM Post #148 of 775
I just received the tour kit from @doctorjazz . Everything looks good. I will contact the next person soon. Its very nice when th kit come right on Lunar New Year lolz.

20200125_115052.jpg

20200125_115033.jpg

20200125_115022.jpg

@Barra am I still able to join Erlkonig tour ?

Last edited:
Jan 26, 2020 at 1:17 PM Post #150 of 775
Listening to the Elysium right now, so IMO EDM music definitely doesn’t sound “right” through these but it still sounds great, especially tracks with piano/female vocal passages. I do find them to be a bit bass light which is why some tracks sound “off” if you will but the quality of the bass is great, just a bit low in quantity for my ears. Shell on the Elysium is also amongst the most comfy universals I have used even though its on the larger size, not sure how much that matters though since its custom only. Should also note right now I am using Symbio W tips.

I’ll continue to post my thoughts as more time passes. I am enjoying them though!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back