Closed studio headphones with deep powerful bass...?
Aug 7, 2011 at 1:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

cactus_farmer

1000+ Head-Fier
Conditions;

1). Must not be Audio Technica M50

2). Must not be 'hifi' type 'phones like Denon D5000...etc...

Other than that, all suggestions welcome - thanks in advance!!

Aug 7, 2011 at 1:55 PM Post #2 of 15
Isn't this the definition of Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro (80 or 250 ohms)?  After all, it has "pro" in the name.

On a serious note, though the above recommendation is serious, what distinction are you making between "hi-fi" home/consumer headphones and studio headphones?  Brands, availability through certain retail channels, perception, or what?  What would not be acceptable?

Aug 7, 2011 at 2:53 PM Post #3 of 15
Most cans are able to play bass without difficulty

Go MDR-v6 line. Go MDR-7509HD with a little extra padding behind the ears and adjust your EQ for more bass.

Otherwise: Pro900

Aug 7, 2011 at 4:33 PM Post #7 of 15

Quote:
There is no such thing as studio headphones with powerful bass, is like to say ...I want a stretch limo to win in a formula 1 race.

well......

That does make a lot of sense. But most people choose a balanced can to listen in rather then a earbud. OP's idea of a studio can is flawed but he wants a can that's not a Audiophile can but more ProAudio

Aug 7, 2011 at 5:02 PM Post #10 of 15

Quote:
well......

That does make a lot of sense. But most people choose a balanced can to listen in rather then a earbud. OP's idea of a studio can is flawed but he wants a can that's not a Audiophile can but more ProAudio

If a can have overpowering coloration in the bass, this will be an Audiophile hps, is very hard to work in the studio with 9 db bass boost like the Pro-900, and even more confusing to do that at home where your reference point in very poor.

Aug 7, 2011 at 7:15 PM Post #11 of 15
Denon AH line has two models cheaper than the D5000 if budget is the issue. Both of those would serve you well, I'm sure.

Aug 7, 2011 at 9:37 PM Post #12 of 15
Why wouldn't you want 'hi-fi' as a studio headphone?  High-fidelity term is given to something that produces what was originally recorded to fullest accuracy.  You want accuracy when monitoring and mixing/mastering.  If anything, audiophile cans produce coloration in the sound, coloring the music to the likes and preference of the audiophile himself.  Rather it be a treble roll-off to minimize sibilance in recordings, or a treble spike to give a lot of things a sparkly edge, to give a better sense of detail in the recording, or an un-natural bass-boost, to give visceral properties to the recording.  (Not to say that audiophiles don't prefer high-fidelity sound)

Aug 7, 2011 at 10:49 PM Post #14 of 15

Quote:
Why wouldn't you want 'hi-fi' as a studio headphone?  High-fidelity term is given to something that produces what was originally recorded to fullest accuracy.  You want accuracy when monitoring and mixing/mastering.  If anything, audiophile cans produce coloration in the sound, coloring the music to the likes and preference of the audiophile himself.  Rather it be a treble roll-off to minimize sibilance in recordings, or a treble spike to give a lot of things a sparkly edge, to give a better sense of detail in the recording, or an un-natural bass-boost, to give visceral properties to the recording.  (Not to say that audiophiles don't prefer high-fidelity sound)

When people use hi fi in a derogatory way, they're generally talking about a sound signature that's more pleasing than it is revealing and true-to-source. For example, my HD650s have a pretty significantly rolled off treble which helps them sound good even with lower quality MP3s and allows someone like me (who is sensitive to bright treble) to listen to them for hours without fatigue. These qualities make the HD650 a great headphone for my musical enjoyment, but would make them a terrible choice for use in the studio.

Aug 7, 2011 at 10:58 PM Post #15 of 15
How about the Equation Audio Eartools RP-22x?  It was discussed quite a bit here on Head-fi a couple years ago. I've got a set, but it's been a while since I listened to them.  They were bass heavy.

Ron

Users who are viewing this thread

Back