Closed low-impedance alternative to HD800
Oct 8, 2010 at 12:41 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

Orcin

1000+ Head-Fier
I listen to my HD800 exclusively now, but sometimes I really need a closed phone. However, I find that going from the HD800 to my Denon D2000 is just too much of a quality and sound signature leap so I never use the Denons. I want a closed phone that offers an upgrade over the D2000. It needs to be low impedance to allow the use of both phones from my amp at the same time.

My leading candidate from early research is the ATH-W5000, but I have yet to hear them. My questions are:

Am I likely to find this phone to be comparable to the HD800? By this I mean would I be happy going back and forth between them in terms of quality or would I always see the W5000 as the "second choice"? Would some listeners even prefer the AT?

My impression from reading is that the W5000 has a similar sound signature to the HD800 in terms of tonal balance, i.e. not a bass heavy phone but a well-defined and deep bass with extensive detail and excellent mids/vocals. Would this be a reasonable impression?

Am I overlooking an obvious better candidate? I have considered the D7000 but I am concerned that it is just a better D2000 and I will still prefer the HD800. I really want to struggle to choose between the two phones that I own. My thought is that the ATH-W5000 would be of similar quality and signature and therefore I could choose based on whim without regret.

Oct 8, 2010 at 4:50 PM Post #2 of 24
I almost forgot...

How well do these phones isolate incoming noise? I am not so concerned with noise leakage, but I do want better isolation from other noises in the house. The HD800's obviously don't isolate any noise, so anything would be an improvement in that aspect.

Oct 8, 2010 at 7:53 PM Post #3 of 24
Audio-Technica's really don't isolate that much outside noise tbh. Mainly because they are so big and thus they do not fully cover your ears, leaving room for noise to leak in and out. Have you thought about any of the Ultrasone Edition headphones or even the Denon D7000? 

Oct 8, 2010 at 8:06 PM Post #4 of 24
Maybe the T5P from beyerdynamic? From what I read, the T5P is pretty neutral.

Oct 8, 2010 at 11:13 PM Post #5 of 24
beyerdynamic DT 48. It's described to be about as detailed, neutral and transparent as the HD 800, but in closed form. Of course, don't expect much out-of-head sound stage. Imaging within the head is, however, top notch and consistent.

Oct 9, 2010 at 12:45 AM Post #6 of 24

beyerdynamic DT 48. It's described to be about as detailed, neutral and transparent as the HD 800, but in closed form. Of course, don't expect much out-of-head sound stage. Imaging within the head is, however, top notch and consistent.

I don't know about that.

Seems like every DT48 lover enjoys the HD-800, but not every HD-800 lover enjoys the DT48. The DT48 is an entirely different beast and you may or may not enjoy it. Listen to one before buying.

One closed headphone I enjoy quite a bit is the Sony MDR-7509HD. It doesn't get much love around here, but it has a nice, neutral sound, where a lot of closed headphones have bloated bass.

Also, have you considered IEMs? I never much liked IEMs until I heard the JH13. I wouldn't mind using them as an alternative to the HD-800.

Oct 9, 2010 at 8:49 AM Post #7 of 24

Quote:

Am I likely to find this phone to be comparable to the HD800? By this I mean would I be happy going back and forth between them in terms of quality or would I always see the W5000 as the "second choice"? Would some listeners even prefer the AT?

My impression from reading is that the W5000 has a similar sound signature to the HD800 in terms of tonal balance, i.e. not a bass heavy phone but a well-defined and deep bass with extensive detail and excellent mids/vocals. Would this be a reasonable impression?

Going from HD800 to W5000 is not a step-down in quality IMO, there are a number of things which the latter does better for me:
- Much more emotional vocals, it portrays them in a more intimate yet very natural way which i simlpy adore.
- Bass impact is better, while quality and quantity is very similiar, probabley in HD800's favor.
- Clarity is amazing and often it seems the AT's are more vivid but that's apperantley a product of their bright coloration.

I would agree that the tonal balance is similiar, except the forward mids on the AT's. But the tonal charcter is another story, Yes the HD800's are more accurate and transperant and provide a sense of space and freedom that the AT's can't match but the W5000 have that quality of immersive lushness with an expansive sounstage to them that  that absorbs me into the music in a manner that HD800's unrelenting realism couldn not. I defenitely prefer the W5000 most of the time and recently sold my Senns in favor of entry to the realm of high-end 'stats but i otherwise i would've kept both as they compliment each other wonderfully for my tastes.

Oct 9, 2010 at 10:20 AM Post #8 of 24
Amarphael, thanks for the writeup. I was really hoping that someone that has experience with both phones could give me a comparison. Your comments are really interesting and push me toward the W5000. I am particularly encouraged when you say that you preferred the AT most of the time. That doesn't mean that I will prefer them, but it's a good sign that I will find them comparable in quality.

A couple of other comments:

Uncle Erik: Yes, I have definitely considered the JH-13. I heard the prototypes last year, and they were outstanding. I am sure a custom fit would make them amazing. I really want a second pair of cans though. I haven't checked the Sony model yet, so I will.

Of the other suggestions, the T5P was something I hadn't considered and I'll look at those. I have also considered Ultrasones because I always wanted to spend time with a pair. It's hard to judge these at a meet.

Thanks for all the help.

Oct 11, 2010 at 10:17 AM Post #9 of 24
As I do more research, I am now leaning toward the Denon D7000 as suggested by Stang above. They may be a better match for the music that I like (a lot of classic rock and alternative). They also may isolate outside noise better than the AT.

Edit: D7000 purchased. 
biggrin.gif

Oct 14, 2010 at 9:21 AM Post #10 of 24
I think I made a mistake with the Denons. They don't fit with my system at all. Back to the drawing board.

The W5000 are looking like the best option again.

Oct 14, 2010 at 9:32 AM Post #11 of 24

Quote:
I think I made a mistake with the Denons. They don't fit with my system at all. Back to the drawing board.

The W5000 are looking like the best option again.

I have the W5000's paired with the HA5000 amplifier and they are truly something special. I have also tried the W5000's on the headroom micro amp with great results, so it's not like you absolutely need the HA5000, but it does help extract full performance from the W5000's. I have bought them 4 months ago and haven't looked back since, they are really impressive. Not sure what else to add that "Amarphael" hasn't already said. They have this immersive bubble of sound (holographic like) that with the right set-up sound lush, spacious and very clear, without sounding sibilant or harsh. This is a great set up to call it a day and finally enjoy the music, and that's what I have done ever since my purchase! Good luck, 

Oct 14, 2010 at 10:19 AM Post #12 of 24
The W5000 certainly seems to be a "love-it-or-hate-it" phone.

Oct 14, 2010 at 10:25 AM Post #13 of 24

Quote:
Edit: D7000 purchased. 
biggrin.gif

They are pretty much scaled up D5000 which are sidestepped D2000's. Im not sure this will be great.

I would accept the SQ penalty, and just get IEM's for those times when you need to block out the world. It has been my experience that very few closed headphones actually isolate particularly well.

Quote:
Seems like every DT48 lover enjoys the HD-800, but not every HD-800 lover enjoys the DT48. The DT48 is an entirely different beast and you may or may not enjoy it. Listen to one before buying.

So true. So true. 

Oct 14, 2010 at 10:35 AM Post #14 of 24
I know it would be several steps down, but I recommend to give the AKG K271 a try (it's really cheap so why not?).  Transparency wise they're not too far off from HD800 and although the bass rolls off much earlier than the HD800 it never bloats and is accurate.  I find the overall balance to be not so dissimilar and the mids are truly excellent for a closed headphone.  It isolates very well too.

Oct 14, 2010 at 10:36 AM Post #15 of 24
I have both HD800 and W5000 at the same time few months back.  W5000 is very picky on amp, my WA6 maxxed does great with W5000 but it sings with HA5000.  Kind of missed it now.  The sound signature is totally different, it is hard to go back and forth.  Once you get used to the W5000, the HD800 sounds off.  If I use the W5000, I will use it for the whole week and wait a day before using the HD800. 

I would recommend an IEM like JH13 Pro, I can swap it back and forth with HD800.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back