Closed headphones with fast, accurate, but not bloated/exaggerated bass
Apr 26, 2013 at 4:50 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 28

Christo4

100+ Head-Fier
Hello guys, i'm looking for a pair of closed headphones (need the isolation) with a fast and accurate bass. I only have 2 headphones, Grado SR80i and Senn HD 380. While i like the Grado a lot i can't use it all the time because it's open and the environment i'm in is pretty noisy sometimes so i mostly use the Senn.

One thing i really like about Grado and that i don't know how many people appreciate is the bass. I enjoy it because it's tight, fast, it is there (i have a small amp but does a pretty good job of making the bass better), but it isn't bloated/exaggerated and it doesn't get in the way of the other sounds be it is music or games mostly because, as i said, it is fast so a moment it's there and you know it and the other it's gone, doesn't linger like other BASSSSSSS headphones or like the Senn does (although it's not as bassy as the bass headphones). It doesn't have good sub-bass, which i'd like, so this is perhaps it's only downfall IMO.

Is there a closed headphone that is similar to what i want? My budget is around 200 euro. Also nothing that was previously used, I'd like them new.

Apr 26, 2013 at 7:06 AM Post #2 of 28
The ATH-A2000X has really fast and tight bass, unfortunately its over your budget... hmm

DT1350 could be another good choice, but its on-ear so may cause comfy problem in long session.

Apr 26, 2013 at 7:18 AM Post #3 of 28
Depends on your budget...
Shure 440....AKG k550

Apr 26, 2013 at 7:29 AM Post #4 of 28
DT1350: Closer to "flat" but the bass is measurably fast.
Audio Technica ES10: More bass, but I don't feel that it is over-blown. 
If I recall correctly the DT1350s have more isolation, being DJ 'phones. It's a shame the AD2000X aren't closed cans, as they are the equivalent of a full-sized Grado.

Apr 26, 2013 at 7:30 AM Post #5 of 28
You might be able to find Audio Technica ATH-ESW9 for less than € 200.
They are a nice punchy little headphone!
Make sure you buy them from an authorized Audio Technica dealer, there are lots of fakes out there.

Lorspeaker may be able to add thier opinion to this.

Apr 26, 2013 at 1:06 PM Post #6 of 28
On the iphone or ipod, the esw9 is a little underpowered...giving a lacklustre sound.
when i hooked it up to a hisoundaudio studioV, this can is warmer, more euphonic..more energetic.
CLarity wise, it is no where near the dt1350...the esw9 is a " mellower" kind of can.
It is not as clear as the 440 n 550 too.

Apr 26, 2013 at 1:12 PM Post #7 of 28
Well i looked up DT1350 and ESW9, but couldn't find them at 200 euro or below... 

The ones i can get are Shure 840(if they are any good, i saw that you mentioned 440) or AKG K550.

Any other suggestions or advice?

Apr 26, 2013 at 1:19 PM Post #8 of 28
No IEMs? Because the Etymotic ER4 may have the cleanest, fastest, neutral, and most extended bass I've heard.

And in terms of isolation obviously, no pair of headphones would even come close.

Apr 26, 2013 at 2:04 PM Post #9 of 28
Quote:
No IEMs? Because the Etymotic ER4 may have the cleanest, fastest, neutral, and most extended bass I've heard.

And in terms of isolation obviously, no pair of headphones would even come close.

No IEM's unfortunately. I have a pair of fischer audio eterna but i don't use it anymore because it started to bother me a lot. I think I'll give them to my brother...

Apr 26, 2013 at 2:45 PM Post #13 of 28
Quote:
Its not uncommon for members to recommend over-budget.  Its not moderated for or a TOS violation.  As a counter-point many members actually do appreciate over-budget suggestions so long as the poster can elaborate on the improved sonics for added $ spent.   The assumption here being, an OP has $$$ to spare.  You shouldn't have to IMHO, but it wouldn't hurt to say things like "Absolute  budget limit / cap.." in your post.  That always seems to keep threads on topic for budget.

I already said 200 euro budget and while i can get the SRH 840 for 180 the SRH 940 is almost 250, which isn't just a little over budget like 10 or 20 euros. I don't mind when users like kn19h7 recommends something over budget but makes a good point about why they are good. But this is off-topic.

Apr 26, 2013 at 2:58 PM Post #14 of 28
Give the MadDogs a thought.  Yes, they are slightly over 200 Euros (230 Euros), and you have to pay for shipping and import, but you can buy it used for $220 used (170 Euros) from the for sale section (http://www.head-fi.org/t/655089/sale-bunch-of-stuff-prices-dropped).

I haven't heard the MadDogs, but I do have a modified Fostex  T50-RP, and the bass is nicely extended, fast, and accurate.  In fact, I am listening to them right now.  From what I read, MadDogs > most self-modded Fostex T50-RPs.

Keep in mind they need an external amp to drive them, a mobile source is probably not enough power for them.

Apr 26, 2013 at 3:03 PM Post #15 of 28
Quote:
Give the MadDogs a thought.  Yes, they are slightly over 200 Euros (230 Euros), and you have to pay for shipping and import, but you can buy it used for $220 used (170 Euros) from the for sale section (http://www.head-fi.org/t/655089/sale-bunch-of-stuff-prices-dropped).

I haven't heard the MadDogs, but I do have a modified Fostex  T50-RP, and the bass is nicely extended, fast, and accurate.  In fact, I am listening to them right now.  From what I read, MadDogs > most self-modded Fostex T50-RPs.

Keep in mind they need an external amp to drive them, a mobile source is probably not enough power for them.

With customs and shipping i would probably pay around 300 euros for a pair... I would have bought an T50RP and would have moded it, but at this price it's really not viable : http://www.amazon.co.uk/Fostex-T50Rp-Professional-Semi-Open-Headphones/dp/B000CZ0RO2/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1367002990&sr=1-1&keywords=Fostex+T50RP

It's almost double the price from USA FCOL! (EDIT: FCOL means for crying out loud).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back