Closed full-sized headphones for extended time listening
Aug 12, 2017 at 9:56 AM Post #16 of 20
I use headphones a ton while working.

Regarding the HD250, they are old, but if you get one in good condition you are golden. Hard to say whether the Mk 1 or 2 is better or 300ohm vs 600ohm. I can say it ticks your boxes of not having any spikes. The bass is fairly strong but balanced and the highs soft yet still present - even more so than the HD650. These headphones are very light and it's easy to get after market cables and pads.

It's a bit of coincidence that a few of us on your thread are familiar with them.

The K271 is quite a nice headphone. I had an old mk1 over a decade ago. Light on bass.

The Fostex THx00 and related series of headphone are very good if you want a bit more bass push.

K550 is a fine choice but can be hard to get a seal.

For common headphones available at department stores, Sennheiser Momentum 2 wired is quite fine, again no offensive spikes. Fairly portable too.

Could you please tell me where I can find decent replacement HD250 pads. I have bought various example from Amazon and Ebay, and have been disappointed with products which deviate considerably from the original design.

BTW, to the original poster, I would recommend either DT150 or HD250 (with new pads).

Aug 12, 2017 at 9:57 AM Post #17 of 20
... or maybe (depending on musical tastes), the DT48E!

Aug 12, 2017 at 10:02 AM Post #18 of 20
With the right music (and a good recording), the DT48E are hard to beat.

Aug 12, 2017 at 10:30 AM Post #19 of 20
Could you please tell me where I can find decent replacement HD250 pads. I have bought various example from Amazon and Ebay, and have been disappointed with products which deviate considerably from the original design.

BTW, to the original poster, I would recommend either DT150 or HD250 (with new .

Not sure about the pads. Mine aren't the original but I can tell that as long as they provide a good seal you'll be getting the most out of the HD250. The 540 and 560 pads work as well and some people don't even mind the velour pads despite making the 250 sound more like a 540 when used.

I would love to hear a DT48. Which is the best version?

Aug 12, 2017 at 2:17 PM Post #20 of 20
Personally, I have only experienced the later (ca. 2010) 25 Ohm DT48E, so that is what I am recommending (especially with a neutral solid-state amp). I have recently purchased a pair of the older 200 Ohm model in need of complete stripping down and restoration- should make for an interesting comparison.

I use my DT48E with an Audio-gd SA-31SE and an O2: both are good matches.

There is a long and detailed thread dedicated to the DT48 (in all its variants), BTW.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back