Closed, flat, all-round audiophile headphones under 300$$$ - suggestions?
Aug 27, 2009 at 7:35 AM Post #31 of 86
Unfortunately atm it seems like it
frown.gif

I try changing the Thread's Title first. Let's see what happends.
Quote:

Originally Posted by neo-fi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Bump.

More suggestions please. There's gotta be more headphones that match the criteria.
To put it really shortly:
under 200euros, if it's too hard then under 300euros which will definately be a limit.
closed headphone
comfortable
some sound isolation
flat response
10 Hz – 26,000 Hz frequency responce

Aug 27, 2009 at 11:48 AM Post #32 of 86
What about the Denon AH-D2000's. Extremely comfortable, IMHO very good and non fatiguing sound. The only issue for you may be that they are not the strongest (of closed 'phones) for isolation. Well worth a look (errr.. listen) though.

Aug 27, 2009 at 11:56 AM Post #33 of 86
The Denons aren't exactly neutral, either, which kind of hurts them for movies/games...

... as usual, I recommend my audio-technica ATH-M50s. They're pretty flat, have a good bass response, isolate well, are comfortable, and sound pretty good with movies. Also, with their low-impedance and high sensitivity, they can be easily driven with a laptop/portable device. Also, if it makes any difference to you, Headroom rates them higher than the Shures.
smile_phones.gif

Aug 27, 2009 at 6:25 PM Post #35 of 86
Audio Technica ES7 are flat, closed and sound darn good with all my music which is varied quite a bit. If you can afford the difference the ESW9 are even better and more comfortable.

Aug 28, 2009 at 4:20 PM Post #37 of 86
Quote:

Originally Posted by neo-fi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Suggestions look promising.
It'll be hard do decide!

Sorry, but i only see 1 viable (new) suggestion ... TStewart422 recommended the ATH-M50 s (straight cord, but also available with coiled if that is what you prefer). A lot of info on the M50 can be found here in head-fi (just search) and also some telling comments in this thread:
Audio Technica ATH-M50 Headphones are AWESOME - Page 2 - Gearslutz.com

Just from pix alone, the ES series seems to be too shallow to be able to meet your requirement for comfort.

fwiw, personally, i would take a chance on the M50s. Ebay price ~90 - 100.

cheers,
d.

Aug 28, 2009 at 10:20 PM Post #38 of 86
Quote:

Originally Posted by geetarman49 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sorry, but i only see 1 viable (new) suggestion ... TStewart422 recommended the ATH-M50 s (straight cord, but also available with coiled if that is what you prefer). A lot of info on the M50 can be found here in head-fi (just search) and also some telling comments in this thread:
Audio Technica ATH-M50 Headphones are AWESOME - Page 2 - Gearslutz.com

Just from pix alone, the ES series seems to be too shallow to be able to meet your requirement for comfort.

fwiw, personally, i would take a chance on the M50s. Ebay price ~90 - 100.

cheers,
d.

Yes, I dropped ES7/ESW9 along with GMP 240/GMP 250 just for that reason.

Ok, so the list seems like this atm:
Competition:
GMP 8.35 D Monitor, with the newer pads. need to see graphs...
ATH-M50 seems to be good all rounder, best bang for the buck?

Mixed reviews so far:
SRH840 need to see graphs...

Question marks:
DT 770 too bass heavy?
DT 880 more balanced than DT 770?
K-271 too light on bass, but good highs?

Some technical data:
=713&graphID[]=183&graphID[]=573&graphID[]=23]http://graphs.headphone.com/graphCom...aphID[]=23
By those graphs the K-271 and/or HD600 seems to be closest to natural?
Check the Figure 2.

I'll be checking prices and more technical data tomorrow, falling asleep here...

Aug 29, 2009 at 8:55 AM Post #41 of 86
If those charts was with the new pads it would look entirely different. At least it should since they kind of invert the balance between bass and treble lol. But I suppose they don´t take the head cups or driver placement into consideration just measure the drivers directly?

I preferr the GMP with the stock pads but certainly get the new pads for 10$ otherwise you will always wonder. Optimum for me was if they would have the Ultrasone solution for switching pads since I enjoy both presentations and it´s always nice with a change some times.

Aug 29, 2009 at 9:56 AM Post #42 of 86
Quote:

Originally Posted by oqvist /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If those charts was with the new pads it would look entirely different. At least it should since they kind of invert the balance between bass and treble lol. But I suppose they don´t take the head cups or driver placement into consideration just measure the drivers directly?

I preferr the GMP with the stock pads but certainly get the new pads for 10$ otherwise you will always wonder. Optimum for me was if they would have the Ultrasone solution for switching pads since I enjoy both presentations and it´s always nice with a change some times.

lol, maybe we should ask the company to do both graphs, just in case.
smile.gif

Aug 29, 2009 at 1:19 PM Post #44 of 86
New, updated list:
Competition:
GMP 8.35 D Monitor, with the newer pads.
GMP 8.300 D Professional added as new - Opinions? To me it seems like 8.35 D with higher impedance/sligtly different looks
ATH-M50
K-271 how does K-271 MkII differ
SRH840 still need to see graphs... will there be graphs soon available at headroom?

Dropped out:
DT 770 bass heavy/found out they weren't closed
DT 880 more balanced than DT 770/found out they weren't closed

Aug 29, 2009 at 1:27 PM Post #45 of 86
DT 770 Pros are the closed DT 770s
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back