Closed, flat, all-round audiophile headphones under 300$$$ - suggestions?
Aug 31, 2009 at 8:55 PM Post #76 of 86
Quote:

Originally Posted by neo-fi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The List:
GMP 8.35 D Monitor
GMP 8.300 D Professional
ATH-M50
K-271 MkII
SRH840
DT 770 Manufaktur
MDR7509HD
MDR-SA5000 only with amazon or eBay prices
icon10.gif

So what do you think which of these can do everything? Classical/rock/metal/etc. music/movies/gaming best?

Or other suggestions under 300euros.

Maybe this review will answer to questions: http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/com...ogress-442697/

Sep 7, 2009 at 6:44 PM Post #78 of 86
Quote:

Originally Posted by geetarman49
If u have not yet purchased your headphones, i think i can safely say that the ath-m50s is not for you. FYI, these headphones sound excellent, esp. considering the price i paid --- but you will have a very difficult time with the fit/ergonomics (considerable ear/head pressure & relatively small ear cavity for the cushions). And your ears will start sweating from the confined space within 30 sec.

that's all,
d.

Good to hear!

Ok, it's been almost a week now.... I've thought about these HPs.
Decided to stay at that initial 200€~290$ price tag.

The List:
GMP 8.35 D Monitor
GMP 8.300 D Professional
K-271 MkII
SRH840
MDR7509HD

That's the current list...

Does anyone know a headphone review page which has GRAPHS too!
So far only one I've found is Headroom...

Sep 8, 2009 at 6:59 PM Post #79 of 86
Quote:

Originally Posted by neo-fi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Great comparison there. Let's stay tuned for comfort part.

Meanwhile how you'd rate PORTAPRO sound quality? Flat/bass heavy/etc...
I've read that they sound similar to my current headset SB45 Is this true?

Added already, in case you haven't noticed.
smily_headphones1.gif

BTW, my Shures now have around 30-40 hours on them. The sound has definitely improved. I also tried them with my MiniBox E+ and my new AMP3. They improve nicely with amplification and I can safely say that overall, they now sound the best of the four cans to my ears. They just have the best combination of everything and the best balance IMO. They still lack the tight bass of GMP 8.35D, but they are quite close now in bass quality. I will update my comparison thread very soon. Stay tuned!
biggrin.gif

Sep 8, 2009 at 7:56 PM Post #80 of 86
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pianist /img/forum/go_quote.gif
smily_headphones1.gif

BTW, my Shures now have around 30-40 hours on them. The sound has definitely improved. I also tried them with my MiniBox E+ and my new AMP3. They improve nicely with amplification and I can safely say that overall, they now sound the best of the four cans to my ears. They just have the best combination of everything and the best balance IMO. They still lack the tight bass of GMP 8.35D, but they are quite close now in bass quality. I will update my comparison thread very soon. Stay tuned!
biggrin.gif

You should try the 8.35 with the newer pads the bass become more tight than with the stock pads. As well the overall balance improve on the bright side, with more open highs and bigger sound stage.
wink.gif

Like a new hps...and still very natural.

Sep 9, 2009 at 2:04 PM Post #81 of 86
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pianist /img/forum/go_quote.gif
smily_headphones1.gif

biggrin.gif

I did notice...
icon10.gif
but my reply came with a "slight" delay.
And yes, I'll stay tuned, not in a hurry here.

Mmmm Acix, it's just hard for me to get my hands on any of those cans to compare them
frown.gif

Could anyone actually measure how deep are those earcups in SRH840//GMP 8.35 D//K-271 MkII//MDR-7509HD ?
I'd really appreciate it!
For example I measured 1.5cm earcup's depth in Koss SB45.

Sep 28, 2009 at 6:26 PM Post #82 of 86
Aargh, going nuts here...

To get any sense into this I limit the headphone options to SRH840, MDR7509HD and GMP 8.35 D Monitor.

Prices in Europe (quickly Googled):
GMP 8.35 D Monitor 149€ (+20€ for new pads if necessary)
SRH840 200€
MDR7509HD 200€ (this headphone interests me much, since there's not much talk on the forums)

Pianist, what made you drop the GMP 8.35 D Monitor btw?

Sep 28, 2009 at 7:34 PM Post #83 of 86
neo fi there is going to be EU loan programme for the german maestros if there is any interest so you will probably be able to find some to demo for some week. Will start a thread about it but you will contact Thomas at German Maestro to get going.

I am going to return the 8.35D Monitors and go for the open 435S. 450 pro/435S is splitting hairs but you can ear pad roll the 435S. The main reason being that the 8.35D monitors is a bit to closed in with the stock ear pads and I preferr the 450 Pro and 435S over it also with the newer. But those are not an option if you want any kind of isolation of course even though the 450 Pro is "closed".

Sep 28, 2009 at 8:19 PM Post #84 of 86
Audio Technica ATH M40fs
Cheap, flat sound, good clarity but not brutally honest, more forgiving for poor sources and crappy MP3's than their brother the M50's, more neutral bass and highs (the midrange and highs are very smooth in comparison) and they fit better, at least on my head.

They are cheap and I guess that works against them with a budget of $300

Sep 29, 2009 at 2:41 AM Post #85 of 86
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mink /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Audio Technica ATH M40fs

FWIW... Amazon appears to have these for fairly cheap (admitedly, I'm not sure what their historical price is).

Just thought I'd pass that along.

Dave

Sep 29, 2009 at 5:50 PM Post #86 of 86
Gonna check the ATH M40, although I dropped the ATH M50 for some reason
biggrin.gif
I guess they had too shallow ear cups...

oqvist, that EU German Maestro load programme would be cool!
I'll postpone my HP purchase then, not in a hurry... plus atm I don't even have time to listen my current HPs.

Staying tuned...
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back