Closed, flat, all-round audiophile headphones under 300$$$ - suggestions?
Aug 29, 2009 at 1:31 PM Post #46 of 86
Thanks for clarifying oqvist
smily_headphones1.gif

Nonetheless they had to go, too bassy for me!

While you're at it please explain difference between GMP 8.35 D Monitor and GMP 8.300 D Professional (only impedance?).
Also what's difference between K-271 and K-271 MkII?

Aug 30, 2009 at 4:40 AM Post #49 of 86
Quote:

Originally Posted by neo-fi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
smily_headphones1.gif

While you're at it please explain difference between GMP 8.35 D Monitor and GMP 8.300 D Professional (only impedance?).

MK II versions have both the regular and the velour pads. In addition, they come with two cables (one straight, one coiled), which are detachable. As far as I know, they don't sound any different from the previous K 271. I returned mine because I don't really like the sound of closed headphones, but for one that's closed, it had a fairly wide soundstage (seemed wider than my SR60) and though the bass is considered light by some, it was very acceptable to me. Recommended!

Aug 30, 2009 at 8:00 AM Post #50 of 86
Quote:

Originally Posted by neo-fi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
smily_headphones1.gif

I don´t know if I have seen the 8.300 or 8.400 but they did seem to have different drivers, different pads but the same headband and shell. The 8.3 or 8.400 also have some steel cable since it´s supposed to be used on listening stations rather then at home or portable.

8.35D Monitors is the one I should go with definiatly out of those

Aug 30, 2009 at 10:29 AM Post #51 of 86
Quote:

Originally Posted by geetarman49 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i have ordered the m50s for myself (< $90+ship)... should be here within the week & i'll be able to give you some personal impressions then.

cheers,
d.

That would be great! Checked your profile and saw this: Shure SRH840 (changed my mind & ordered). I'm interested in those too! Would like to hear which one has larger/deeper cups, from pictures it's hard to tell.
Quote:

Originally Posted by ktsai1283 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
MK II versions have both the regular and the velour pads. In addition, they come with two cables (one straight, one coiled), which are detachable. As far as I know, they don't sound any different from the previous K 271. I returned mine because I don't really like the sound of closed headphones, but for one that's closed, it had a fairly wide soundstage (seemed wider than my SR60) and though the bass is considered light by some, it was very acceptable to me. Recommended!

So basically the Mk II is better equipped version of K271. Makes sense to me
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by oqvist /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don´t know if I have seen the 8.300 or 8.400 but they did seem to have different drivers, different pads but the same headband and shell. The 8.3 or 8.400 also have some steel cable since it´s supposed to be used on listening stations rather then at home or portable.

8.35D Monitors is the one I should go with definiatly out of those

Yeah, all I could get out of German Maestro's page was that they looked slightly different, 8.300 had higher impedance and cable wasn't coiled.
Maybe Acix has some inside information on this one
icon10.gif

Aug 30, 2009 at 4:16 PM Post #53 of 86
open or closed. I don´t really see the point unless your dog need a headphone too though
biggrin.gif

Aug 30, 2009 at 5:06 PM Post #54 of 86
I just got Shure SRH840s yesterday. I also own ATH-M50s. Compared to M50s, the Shures are definitely more neutral. M50 has a mid/low bass emphasis, a somewhat hot and metallic treble and recessed upper mids. SRH840s have a pretty neutral bass with some very slight emphasis in the mid bass, very even mids and a somewhat subdued, but more natural sounding treble than ATH-M50s. However, at this point with about 5-8 hours of burn in on them, I think the Shures sound a bit plasticy. Not sure why - need to give them more burn-in and listening time. Still more natural than M50s though IMO.

Aug 30, 2009 at 5:44 PM Post #55 of 86
Neo-fi: my budget is tight & i didn't want to wait until the end of oct. for a discounted price on the 840, so i opted to pick up the m50s + Indeed tube hybrid amp instead. I previously considered both the Sony v6 & 7509 and found the reviews of the shure to be more compelling.

Pianist: which of two (840 or m50) has the larger & deeper cushions/cups? & can you tell us how much you paid for your 840 ($cdn incl all taxes)?

tia,
d.

Aug 30, 2009 at 6:44 PM Post #56 of 86
Quote:

Originally Posted by oqvist /img/forum/go_quote.gif
open or closed. I don´t really see the point unless your dog need a headphone too though
biggrin.gif

Yeah, you can hear about 20Hz-20kHz and when you get older maybe only up to 17kHz.
Plus I don't think even dog's can hear so high up.
But I'm still like What? Just like I was when I readed (or rode or just read? what's the correct word?
biggrin.gif
) about 4kOhm headphones.

Pianist:
Headroom's graphs didn't lie on ATH-50Ms then
smily_headphones1.gif

I hope we get Headroom's SRH840 graphs soon.

geetarman49:
Where'd you get discounted SRH840's?
They're here minimum 200euros
frown.gif
a ripoff!

Aug 30, 2009 at 7:16 PM Post #57 of 86
Neo: when the 840 was initially released in the US, literally everybody was discounting them; typically available for ~ $120 - $140 u.s. I found a seller who was willing to ship outside the U.S. at a discounted price of $163 (shipping included), but he ran out of stock (like most of the other discounters - no new stock until end oct.).
It has been previously disclosed that the cdn dealer price for FS/BB stores is ~ $93 with the retail set at ~ $250 cdn. i would guess that the u.s. dealer cost (for the large retailers) is ~ $80. it may be harder to come by these discounted prices; the current FOTM is driving up the demand.

If the 840 is what you want, then look & shop around.... even if you don't see a discounted price, it doesn't hurt to ask....that is how i managed to get an additional discount on the m50s.

hth,
d.

Aug 30, 2009 at 9:45 PM Post #58 of 86
The DT770 Manufaktur 600 ohm with leather earpads will cost you 270,- Euro including shipping, ordering from the Beyer website. They are very comfy with good isolation and have a super neutral soundsig. An amp is needed though.

Aug 30, 2009 at 9:47 PM Post #59 of 86
mmm, I guess you're living in Canada or am I totally wrong (google doesn't exactly find edmonchuk) just assuming it's near Edmonton, Canada.

Well anyways since I live in Finland and prices are in euros, for shure SRH840 starting at 199 and going only up,
plus no one really gives discounts in this country so I'm screwed :S
What comes in buying stuff I wish I'd live in America you have Rebates, superb return policy, etc... no such things here
mad.gif
For an example the cheapest HD650's I could quickly find are 320euros, it's possible to get them for 300euros I think but not much cheaper.

That 163$ deal is imo dirt cheap compared to prices here, even if I have to pay VAT and customs, still under 200euros.
Quickly calculated: 114*1.22*1.05=146euros
And I don't think anyone is going to give 50euros discount!
So if they shop globally for same 163$ then I'm ready to buy right away!!
tongue_smile.gif

If you don't believe check the links:
Worldwide Cost of Living survey: A lot of yen | The Economist
List of most expensive cities for expatriate employees - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Top 10 Most Expensive Cities In The World

Users who are viewing this thread

Back