Closed, flat, all-round audiophile headphones under 300$$$ - suggestions?
Aug 21, 2009 at 10:04 PM Post #16 of 86
Quote:

Originally Posted by neo-fi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What you mean, suggested Sure line? Or you mean those Shure Headphones recommended? Should I look mic from same maker?

Yeah, that was confusing; sorry.
confused_face.gif

I meant the Sure SRH840, SRH440, and SRH240. You certainly don't need a Sure mic.

Aug 22, 2009 at 12:01 AM Post #17 of 86
Quote:

Was browsing headphones on amazon and bumped into these JVC HARX700 they're dirt cheap compared to Shure SRH840 but are they any good?

Check out Northern Sound & Light. I heard they sell the SRH840's for less than $120. This has been quoted in the SRH840 impressions thread.

Aug 22, 2009 at 8:11 AM Post #18 of 86
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hase /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah, that was confusing; sorry.
confused_face.gif

I meant the Sure SRH840, SRH440, and SRH240. You certainly don't need a Sure mic.

Yea, I'd have to look up differences between those models first.
I dig into those Shure threads now.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ABathingApe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Check out Northern Sound & Light. I heard they sell the SRH840's for less than $120. This has been quoted in the SRH840 impressions thread.

Seems like they're out of Shure atm.
Yeah that's an affordable price, I wish I lived in USA or Canada but no
frown.gif
I'm from Scandinavia.
Unless they ship overseas (most likely not) it rules it out...
Globalization isn't any good at such things
angry_face.gif

Aug 22, 2009 at 8:45 AM Post #19 of 86
Quote:

Originally Posted by Edwood /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Now that the cat's out of the bag, I can talk about the SRH840 now.

The Bad:
As with any "DJ" style closed headphones, they can be painful to wear for some with sensitive ears. And since it's isolating, the clamping pressure is uncomfortable to wear for those that wear glasses. The coiled headphone cable was heavy, awkward, and very microphonic.
-Ed

Forgot to mention that I wear glasses 24/7, I hope this isn't too bad issue.
Since Koss SB/45 clamps to your head too I think I can live with that as long as headphones' drivers aren't pressed against my ears' cartilage all the time, like in my current headset!

Aug 22, 2009 at 1:40 PM Post #20 of 86
OK, took a time to dig through these Shure Threads:
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/lea...1/index29.html
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/srh...6/index52.html
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/shu...75/index2.html
Got smarter
smily_headphones1.gif
:
Many people consider SRH840 best headphones for the money.
Also many agree on that SRH840 surpass many more expensive headphones in sound quality.

---------------------

So atm I've decided to go with recommended SRH840. But I need some info about how they fit on my ears.
I'd like to make sure its drivers won't be pressed against my ears cartilage like on my Koss SB/45 headset:
Quote:

I have serious issues with my Koss SB/45 Headset atm, just over 2 hours of use causes my ears to hurt so much that you wouldn't want to use them for a while.
***In fact Koss SB/45 presses against my ears' Elastic cartilage especially at the part which is named Anti-Helix on the wikipedia's picture. So after continuous (4h/d everyday) use my skin on top of "Anti-Helix" is glowing red and sometimes I've even noticed scar tissue over the area.
frown.gif

I really don't want to spend so much money on these headphones and find out this afterwards!

Aug 22, 2009 at 3:14 PM Post #21 of 86
Quote:

I really don't want to spend so much money on these headphones and find out this afterwards!

Fit is very individual; depends on headsize/shape and size/location of ears. You're not going to know til you try them. You've already gone for a pair of phones based on recommendation only, so fit is a bit of punt too.

Aug 22, 2009 at 3:44 PM Post #22 of 86
Sorry but I'm a little late to the party..

I just wanted to mention that I've really enjoyed my Razer Carcharias gaming headphones. They are as comfortable as anything I've worn with the possible exception of the Beyer DT770's. That's because the pads are smaller and touch my ears more. But they are very light and sound surprisingly good. The mids are a bit congested/recessed but I suspect solid week of break-in would cure that. Bass is very good, much better than my SR60's.

I'm not sure who Razer sourced for these but they are really good for just $80 and have a mic. There is also a volume control and mic on/off switch that clips to your shirt.

Aug 22, 2009 at 4:04 PM Post #23 of 86
Quote:

Originally Posted by Drubbing /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Fit is very individual; depends on headsize/shape and size/location of ears. You're not going to know til you try them. You've already gone for a pair of phones based on recommendation only, so fit is a bit of punt too.

x2.
What i deem comfortable may be absolute torture for your ears/head, neo-fi. With that said, i doubt that there are any phones out there that will meet your criteria for comfort right out of the box, with the possible exception of some audio technicas (ath-a700/a900).

If you find the 840s too tight, then you can try to 'loosen' them by placing them over a pillow for a week or try bending the headband slightly until the desired fit is achieved... ymmv.

hth,
d.

Aug 22, 2009 at 6:08 PM Post #24 of 86
@Drubbing and geetarman49
Unfortunately you missed my point there
frown.gif

I'll try harder to explain what I mean!

Hope you get it now, or I'll need to take photo of my ear and Headphones!
tongue_smile.gif

Open this link Elastic cartilage - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia look at the picture on the right side... then find part named "Anti Helix". Now depending on your ears structure this part may "stick out" from rest of the ear, like mine does, or it doesn't, depending on ear's structure.
All I'm trying to say here is that when Headphones "speakers" (or drivers as you call them?) press against that cartilage it is unpleasant after 1hrs of wearing. Imagine the feeling when you wear 4hrs 7days in a week. Not fun
frown.gif

@cswann1
Good suggestion but I think my current headset outperforms Razer Carcharias, except in comfortability.

Aug 22, 2009 at 6:47 PM Post #25 of 86
No, ... i don't think we miss the point at all. You are looking for phones whose cushions have sufficient depth and circumferential clearance so as to minimize contact/pressure with your ear lobes. From this vantage, we can only guess at what may/may not work for you. Perhaps looking for biggest/deepest circumaural design? even then you may have to resort to cushion-modding to get the comfort/fit that you desire... and certainly adjusting the headband will relieve some pressure against the ears.

also, my gut instinct tells me that you will find the 840s to be uncomfortable in stock form.

hth,
d.

Aug 22, 2009 at 7:11 PM Post #26 of 86
Quote:

Originally Posted by geetarman49 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No, ... i don't think we miss the point at all. You are looking for phones whose cushions have sufficient depth and circumferential clearance so as to minimize contact/pressure with your ear lobes. From this vantage, we can only guess at what may/may not work for you. Perhaps looking for biggest/deepest circumaural design? even then you may have to resort to cushion-modding to get the comfort/fit that you desire... and certainly adjusting the headband will relieve some pressure against the ears.

also, my gut instinct tells me that you will find the 840s to be uncomfortable in stock form.

hth,
d.

YES, what you just described is exactly what I'm after. Guess my english isn't that good after all... I bolded the main things out!
I do need deep design, since when you look pictures of Shure SRH840 and compare them to Koss SB/45 they have about same dimensions what comes in depth.
Or then I need advice how to mod cushions for SRH840.

Aug 23, 2009 at 3:08 PM Post #27 of 86
Quote:

YES, what you just described is exactly what I'm after. Guess my english isn't that good after all... I bolded the main things out!
I do need deep design, since when you look pictures of Shure SRH840 and compare them to Koss SB/45 they have about same dimensions what comes in depth.
Or then I need advice how to mod cushions for SRH840.

sorry, for the late reply... was watching golf, tennis, & f1
tongue_smile.gif

afaik, there haven't been any mods performed/discussed yet on the 840s - still too new. & like u, i haven't been able to get ahold of a pair yet; those willing to discount are OOS until end of october.
when i tested the audio technica ath-ad700's, i found them to be very comfortable with very little pressure/sensation against my ears. i don't know if the a700's (the closed version) have the same size cups/cushions tho. perhaps others who have tried all 3 phones can chime in here & advise re: comfort level, size/depth of cups/ear cushions and relative sonic performance.

hth & g'luck
d.

Aug 23, 2009 at 7:36 PM Post #28 of 86
Ok, googled for some pictures of my old headphones the Philips HP195:
http://www.radioscanner.ru/uploader/2007/sbc_hp_195.jpg
http://www.subasta.pl/uploaded/00000...00/91597_1.gif
http://www.nix.ru/autocatalog/headph.../14115_box.jpg
With these earphones I had no comfortability issues whatsoever.
As you can see from pictures the cups are really deep compared to Koss SB/45
link: http://getestuff.com/catalog/images/SB45.jpg

HP195 seems to have almost 2x as deep cups compared to SB/45.
My ears would need something 1.5-1.7x clearance compared to Koss SB/45.
From pictures it seems that Shure SRH840 doesn't have so deep cups to fit in my ears
frown.gif

Is there other headphones under 200euros which fit in my criteria?

Aug 26, 2009 at 8:22 PM Post #29 of 86
Bump.

More suggestions please. There's gotta be more headphones that match the criteria.
To put it really shortly:
under 200euros, if it's too hard then under 300euros which will definately be a limit.
closed headphone
comfortable
some sound isolation
flat response
10 Hz – 26,000 Hz frequency responce

Aug 26, 2009 at 9:32 PM Post #30 of 86
doesn't seem like this thread is attracting enough attention for the more experienced head-fi'ers to comment..., perhaps the thread title isn't specific enough ... suggest you close this thread and start a new thread entitled looking for phones with large and deep cushions.

copy and paste from this thread all those things that u have tried that work and those that don't work... along with your other criteria.

sorry, can't be of more help.
beerchug.gif

d.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back