Closed, flat, all-round audiophile headphones under 300$$$ - suggestions?
Aug 30, 2009 at 11:24 PM Post #61 of 86
Comfort is very personal. It is not only whether your ear is touched, but also where and how it is touched. So in addition to your looking for a large and deep circumaural, supraaural is also an alternative. I myself like supraaural over circumaural for comfort.

Aug 30, 2009 at 11:28 PM Post #62 of 86
Quote:

Originally Posted by neo-fi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
mmm, I guess you're living in Canada or am I totally wrong (google doesn't exactly find edmonchuk) just assuming it's near Edmonton, Canada.

Well anyways since I live in Finland and prices are in euros, for shure SRH840 starting at 199 and going only up,
plus no one really gives discounts in this country so I'm screwed :S
What comes in buying stuff I wish I'd live in America you have Rebates, superb return policy, etc... no such things here
mad.gif
For an example the cheapest HD650's I could quickly find are 320euros, it's possible to get them for 300euros I think but not much cheaper.

That 163$ deal is imo dirt cheap compared to prices here, even if I have to pay VAT and customs, still under 200euros.
Quickly calculated: 114*1.22*1.05=146euros
And I don't think anyone is going to give 50euros discount!
So if they shop globally for same 163$ then I'm ready to buy right away!!
tongue_smile.gif

If you don't believe check the links:
Worldwide Cost of Living survey: A lot of yen | The Economist
List of most expensive cities for expatriate employees - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Top 10 Most Expensive Cities In The World

Edmonton ... precisely (Edmonchuk... just a local joke amongst my ukrainian friends).

IIRC, this dealer shipped a set to Indonesia for $179 inclusive. If u want the link, please PM me; & remember, he won't have any stock until Oct
icon10.gif
(prob. end of Oct).

hth,
d.

Aug 31, 2009 at 4:52 AM Post #63 of 86
But I don´t know if I have ever ever found a supraaural as comfortable as any truly circumaural. I am sure there may exist but it seems very hard to find one.

Heck even the 450 Pros which have 0 clamping pressure and ear pads that are half circumaural make me feel I have been wearing them. Not to the point I can´t use them but they aren´t as comfortable as the beyer, senn, jvc, denon, ultrasone, Audio technica etc circumaural headphones I have owned.

I have really got a hook on them for a lot of music and particularly movies I preferr them over all my other headphones but they offer very little isolation so they are not really closed.

Aug 31, 2009 at 7:46 AM Post #64 of 86
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tiemen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The DT770 Manufaktur 600 ohm with leather earpads will cost you 270,- Euro including shipping, ordering from the Beyer website. They are very comfy with good isolation and have a super neutral soundsig. An amp is needed though.

Hmmm, the graph on Headroom tells that DT770 is bass heavy. No idea what version of DT770 they've tested, it's @ 300 Ohms though.

Aug 31, 2009 at 8:04 AM Post #65 of 86
Quote:

Hmmm, the graph on Headroom tells that DT770 is bass heavy. No idea what version of DT770 they've tested, it's @ 300 Ohms though.

The DT770 graph on HeadRoom is a very old one. It's even uncertain from which model this graph is.
There's a lot of confusion about the different DT770 version, because there are so many, and they all sound different from each other.
AFAIK, there's no 300 ohm, version. Only 600 ohm (old edition, or Manufaktur from Beyer webshop), 32 ohm (Manufaktur from Beyer webshop), 80 ohm (DT770 Pro and DT770M) and 250 ohm (DT770 2005 consumer edition and Pro).
The Pro versions are the bass heavy ones.
The consumer editions, including the 600 ohm Manufaktur, are not.

Aug 31, 2009 at 8:05 AM Post #66 of 86
Quote:

Originally Posted by Acix /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Did you find any GMPs in Scandinavia?

Not really, unless you count a company who sells stuff for language labs.
Only GMPs I found there are the headsets with weird connectors.
Even Google has hard time finding stuff about German Maestro
eek.gif

So only place so far selling GMPs is German Maestro itself.

I asked this before, hoping you could answer this:
What's the difference between GMP 8.35 D Monitor and GMP 8.300 D Professional?

I've found out that at least these differ: impedance, cable, earpads/cups, headband and price.

Aug 31, 2009 at 8:18 AM Post #67 of 86
Quote:

Originally Posted by oqvist /img/forum/go_quote.gif
But I don´t know if I have ever ever found a supraaural as comfortable as any truly circumaural.

It varies from person to person. Everybody needs to try for himself.

Supraaural is designed to touch the ears, hopefully comfortably, at least to some people.

To me, my supraaural SR60 and PX100 are more comfortable than my circumaural HD580 and RX700.

Aug 31, 2009 at 8:19 AM Post #68 of 86
Quote:

I asked this before, hoping you could answer this:
What's the difference between GMP 8.35 D Monitor and GMP 8.300 D Professional?

I've found out that at least these differ: impedance, cable, earpads/cups, headband and price.

The GMP 8.300 D is IMO the successor of the QP 805 HS. And the GMP 8.35 D the successor of the QP 805 MONITOR.
See http://dl.owneriq.net/9/9de47d28-ed6...6ebc5ab8db.pdf
So maybe you'll find more information on the older types. They should sound the same as the ones with the new names.

Acix, you have a conversion table, am I right?

Aug 31, 2009 at 8:28 AM Post #69 of 86
Quote:

Originally Posted by jung /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Comfort is very personal. It is not only whether your ear is touched, but also where and how it is touched. So in addition to your looking for a large and deep circumaural, supraaural is also an alternative. I myself like supraaural over circumaural for comfort.

Quote:

Originally Posted by oqvist /img/forum/go_quote.gif
But I don´t know if I have ever ever found a supraaural as comfortable as any truly circumaural. I am sure there may exist but it seems very hard to find one.

Heck even the 450 Pros which have 0 clamping pressure and ear pads that are half circumaural make me feel I have been wearing them. Not to the point I can´t use them but they aren´t as comfortable as the beyer, senn, jvc, denon, ultrasone, Audio technica etc circumaural headphones I have owned.

I have really got a hook on them for a lot of music and particularly movies I preferr them over all my other headphones but they offer very little isolation so they are not really closed.

Yup, comfort is individual, everyone has different ears. Also I don't think that supra-aural isolate nearly as well as circumaural do.

Quote:

Originally Posted by geetarman49 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Edmonton ... precisely (Edmonchuk... just a local joke amongst my ukrainian friends).

IIRC, this dealer shipped a set to Indonesia for $179 inclusive. If u want the link, please PM me; & remember, he won't have any stock until Oct
icon10.gif
(prob. end of Oct).

hth,
d.

Yeah, that was my 2nd choice
biggrin.gif
Edmonchuk - Wiktionary
Even that isn't bad price to pay. I can wait....
very_evil_smiley.gif

Wonder what else they're selling too
beyersmile.png

Aug 31, 2009 at 8:36 AM Post #70 of 86
Quote:

The GMP 8.300 D is IMO the successor of the QP 805 HS. And the GMP 8.35 D the successor of the QP 805 MONITOR.
So maybe you'll find more information on the older types. They should sound the same as the ones with the new names.

Right, so 8.300 D and 8.35 D have both same drivers.

Oh and this was the DT770 graph I was talking about: =713]http://graphs.headphone.com/graphCompare.php?graphType=7&graphID[]=713
I'll add the DT770 Manufaktur @600 Ohm to my list too.
My amp would be Essence STX soundcard.

Aug 31, 2009 at 8:55 AM Post #71 of 86
Quote:

Oh and this was the DT770 graph I was talking about: =713]http://graphs.headphone.com/graphCompare.php?graphType=7&graphID[]=713

That's also the one I was referring too. It belonged to an older DT770 review, that was deleated a long time ago by HeadRoom. It beats me why they kept graph. It only adds to a lot of confusion.

Aug 31, 2009 at 9:02 AM Post #72 of 86
Quote:

Acix, you have a conversion table, am I right?

Yes, the GMP 8.35 is the QP 805, just different pads same drivers @ 35 ohms.
The GMP 8.300 is the 8 from the 8XX series, and the 300 is the 300 ohms drivers.

Aug 31, 2009 at 9:07 AM Post #73 of 86
Quote:

Also I don't think that supra-aural isolate nearly as well as circumaural do.

Supraaural HD25-1 isolates better than most circumaural. You can also try JVC S900.

Aug 31, 2009 at 9:21 AM Post #74 of 86
Quote:

Originally Posted by Acix /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes, the GMP 8.35 is the QP 805, just different pads same drivers @ 35 ohms.
The GMP 8.300 is the 8 from the 8XX series, and the 300 is the 300 ohms drivers.

Different drivers but same frequency responce, they'll probably sound a bit different then?

Jung: nice portable headphones there.

Aug 31, 2009 at 8:47 PM Post #75 of 86
The List:
GMP 8.35 D Monitor
GMP 8.300 D Professional
ATH-M50
K-271 MkII
SRH840
DT 770 Manufaktur
MDR7509HD
MDR-SA5000 only with amazon or eBay prices
icon10.gif

So what do you think which of these can do everything? Classical/rock/metal/etc. music/movies/gaming best?

Or other suggestions under 300euros.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back