Closed Cans, looking...
Mar 10, 2015 at 8:07 PM Post #32 of 38
I recommend you check out MacedonianHero
 list of the top closed headphones. http://www.head-fi.org/t/672743/comparisons-24-of-the-top-closed-portable-headphones-around#post_9622611

Just scroll down for the rankings. His number one pick is the Sennheiser Momentum 2nd generation. 

Thanks. Momentums were already on the list.

Also, thanks for the link. Great write up. I'm more inclined to align with macedonianhero than Marco as I love the sound of the t51p. I also hated the sennheiser veil, so if the momentum 2s have that resolved, I very well may like them.

So many to try!

Mar 13, 2015 at 6:36 PM Post #35 of 38
  I absolutely Love My SoundMagic HP 150 - Giant Killers!

Thanks. I will add them to the list. Do you really think they compete with the big guys on the list?

Mar 21, 2015 at 2:55 AM Post #36 of 38
Well, I started my quest today. I received some Sony MDR-Z7s I purchased from another head-fi-er. Serial number 126, so pretty early model!

At first all I could hear was bass bloat. I then spent a few hours A/Bing them (using a FiiO HS2) with DT-770-pro-80. The sony's certainly are class above the 770s, but the sony's lack a certain sparkle to me. Still, they are very detailed and bass extends pretty low (compared to what I have). I just need to burn my ears in to the Z7 sound.

On a side note I also did a little A/Bing with my Grado sr225e's. Ug, the Grado's just aren't doing it for me anymore. I may have to start the open headphone upgrade quest too! OK, maybe not until I find the perfect closed headphone. That won't be hard, right?

Good thing all Amps and DACs sound the same so I don't have to upgrade them either! Ug. :)

Aug 15, 2015 at 6:08 PM Post #37 of 38
The quest continues. Add the Ether C's. I have since listened to the EL-8c and PM-3. I wasn't too enamored with the EL8, and it took me a week to appreciate the PM3, but in both cases the sound just wasn't for me. Also, looks like no one but Beyer is making closed high impedance headphones anymore, so I might just have to give up on finding some that will work with my Crack. That said, my NAD D3020 sounds as good as my Crack, to me at least. I look forward to RMAF and time with all these great cans.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back