Closed cans fans
Sep 2, 2010 at 12:07 AM Post #16 of 45
Another closed headphone fan reporting in with my Pro900's and W1000X.

Sep 2, 2010 at 12:20 AM Post #17 of 45
Closed can fan here. The LA7000 has been my go to can for a year now. Nothing has unseated it yet. Even though the lcd-2 is giving it a run for its money.

Sep 2, 2010 at 12:26 AM Post #18 of 45
Really love the sound of my D7000. They're slightly better than D5000 to my ears but much better than my SRH840, mostly due to their much more open and spacious sound.  But they hardly isolate and they block leakage only a little better so they are probably not the best for situations where closed headphones are really needed.

Sep 2, 2010 at 12:29 AM Post #19 of 45
I wholly concur. But you're comparing a MSRP of $1000 to a MSRP of $199...To me, the SRH840 sounds like a $500+ cans. I'm just amazed on how Shure priced these at $199.

Quote:
Really love the sound of my D7000. They're slightly better than D5000 to my ears but much better than my SRH840, mostly due to their much more open and spacious sound.  But they hardly isolate and they block leakage only a little better so they are probably not the best for situations where closed headphones are really needed.

Sep 2, 2010 at 10:10 AM Post #21 of 45
How's the soundstage of the DT770's compared to the DT880's?

Quote:
Bang for your buck closed headphones for me would be the beyer DT770/600s. Incredibly balanced, very comfortable and the best noise isolation of any headphone I've ever owned. On sale at B&H Photo for only $185 shipped.

If you've ever heard the DT880/600, this is the closed version and sounds very similar.

Sep 2, 2010 at 12:17 PM Post #22 of 45

Quote:
How's the soundstage of the DT770's compared to the DT880's?

Pretty much what you'd expect. A bit closed-in in comparison to the DT880, but more open than the M50 or SRH840.

Sep 2, 2010 at 12:21 PM Post #23 of 45
Yeah, well.. I guess I'm just a contrarian.
wink_face.gif

I actually prefer the M50 to the DT770/600, and I gave the DT770's one heck or a try. First the 250 ohm, then the 600 ohm for a few months. What I DID love about them was the comfort and isolation. They have great, detailed and clear highs. I found (in other words... to MY ears) the bass was a bit anemic and there was no sonority or richness to the sound. I'm not necessarily talking about warmth, I'm referring to an 'acoustic' resonance that the M50 and DT880 (less so) replicate.

I think the M50 are outstanding cans. Not for everyone, perhaps, and they do have their issues, but suite my taste for 'portable'. easy-to-drive HP's. They are much warmer than the DT770 and have gobs more bass. They are not as bright and have slightly recessed mids. But for my purposes I find them more enjoyable and 'musical' than the DT770.

I'm hoping the D7000's (on their way) will produce the same tonality as the D5000, but with less bass and more 'neutrality'. I found the D5000 to be absolutely gorgeous and reproduced acoustic instruments and voice extremely well. The bass was too much for me. Way more than the M50.

shane

Sep 2, 2010 at 12:23 PM Post #24 of 45
Has anyone been able to compare the soundstage of the DT770 to the AH D2000?  The D2000 soundstage and and placement and big bass make them a great choice for movies and games.  Are the DT770's just a notch below in that department?

Sep 2, 2010 at 1:24 PM Post #26 of 45
What are you thoughts between the SRH840 and M50? The M50 is a cheaper can...I mean more expensive cans tend to have better taste...what do you think? I haven't purchased the M50 to try it at home, but I have auditioned it and it's like comparing a very bright headphone to a dark one...it's like the M50 has a sheild over it's drivers when the SRH840 is just bright and right on...you know what I mean?

Quote:
Yeah, well.. I guess I'm just a contrarian.
wink_face.gif

I actually prefer the M50 to the DT770/600, and I gave the DT770's one heck or a try. First the 250 ohm, then the 600 ohm for a few months. What I DID love about them was the comfort and isolation. They have great, detailed and clear highs. I found (in other words... to MY ears) the bass was a bit anemic and there was no sonority or richness to the sound. I'm not necessarily talking about warmth, I'm referring to an 'acoustic' resonance that the M50 and DT880 (less so) replicate.

I think the M50 are outstanding cans. Not for everyone, perhaps, and they do have their issues, but suite my taste for 'portable'. easy-to-drive HP's. They are much warmer than the DT770 and have gobs more bass. They are not as bright and have slightly recessed mids. But for my purposes I find them more enjoyable and 'musical' than the DT770.

I'm hoping the D7000's (on their way) will produce the same tonality as the D5000, but with less bass and more 'neutrality'. I found the D5000 to be absolutely gorgeous and reproduced acoustic instruments and voice extremely well. The bass was too much for me. Way more than the M50.

shane

Sep 2, 2010 at 1:35 PM Post #27 of 45
Well... FWIR, the SRH840 has a more 'neutral' tone. I felt it lacked bass, but was otherwise clear, clean, transparent and very even across the spectrum. Very good isolation as well.

I actually preferred the sound signiture of the SRH840 to the M50. I could not keep the 840 because they were too big, heavy and un-padded. They actually hurt to wear, so they were gone...
The M50 have a much more 'coloured' sound than the 840, and can not really be considered 'neutral' by my definition. They are big in the bass and lower mids which produce a much warmer tone than the 840. The recessed mid and upper mids are very different from the 840, who's emphasis is for that up-front clarity. I don't think the M50 is veiled, but these mids and upper mids are slightly recessed which can make it appear that way. The highs on both are very good, with the 840 besting the M50 slightly in smoothness and sparkle.

If you are looking for a leaner 'monitor', the 840 trumps the M50, but if you're looking for pure slammin' enjoyment, the M50's are what you want.

Hope that helped.

shane

Sep 2, 2010 at 2:05 PM Post #28 of 45
I'm definitely a fan of closed cans.  I don't want to disturb others around me when I listen to music.  I'll gladly sacrifice a little SQ to be polite.  I just recently started getting into headphones.  I initially picked up a pair of Grado SR80i and realized that the openness was bothersome.  The SQ was fine to my amateur ears, but I just didn't like how loud they were when I was listening.  So I read and read and read thread after thread here and ultimately decided on the M50s.  

I used those for a few weeks and realized that I really needed on-ears instead of over-the-ears because of my glasses.  The problem is that there aren't many on-ear closed back headphones with good isolation.  I tried the Bose, I tried the Solo HDs...and obviously I was unimpressed with both of those compared to the M50s so I returned them.  Which lead me to my current favorite closed back on ears...the HD25-1 IIs.  The SQ is even better than on the M50s to my ears (clearer and more pronounced mids, slightly cleaner bass) and with the on-ear design, I can wear them comfortably with my glasses.  Sure, they cost me 90 bucks more after I returned my M50s, but comfort and SQ are a little better so I'm a happy guy.

I use a Cowon J3 for 95% of my listening and the HD25s are performing beautifully with it without the need for amplification and they isolate so well, it's almost impossible to bother those close to me while listening at almost 75% volume.  Can't go wrong.

Sep 2, 2010 at 2:55 PM Post #29 of 45
I love the way closed headphone isolate!
They can often be more intimate and full sounding then open headphones. Lack of air artificial air as many open headphones
with attenuated treble gives you is not always a bad thing.

ED 8, DX 1000, Pro 900 is three very different sounding closed headphones I enjoy a lot. Pro 900 doesn´t go well along the LCD-2
due to the difference in treble balance mainly.

Sep 2, 2010 at 9:03 PM Post #30 of 45

Quote:
I'll definitely give it a shot.

Looks like the DT770 is the closed back out of the DT880 and 990 right? Just confirming.

In all honesty, the only open-back headphones I truly liked from memory was the HD-595. Look at my bio and what I've owned...out of all, I would openly go for the HD-595 again...I really miss them. I'm actually trying to find a nice deal on them right now...I can't believe I sold them...I guess I was too keyed up and eager for Denon headphones or something, I can't quite remember (I suppose I was young, willing and inexperienced). I mean, people can look at my bio and oppose the HD-595 was the best I've owned, that I've owned better than the HD-595, right? 650s, DT990, etc...but as most say, it's all preference, right? I could be hearing what a person with $1000+ open-back headphones is hearing right now with the HD-595...it's choice and how certain headphones work out for each individual.

I really thank you MacedonianHero, and most of the people here with the comments and suggestions about the DT770 because I have been giving them a look as well for a closed-back design. Thanks again for taking the time to give a word out!

bigsmile_face.gif

No worries. To confirm, yes the DT770/600 is the closed version, the DT880/600 is the semi-open version and the DT990/600 is the open version. All three are very balanced. The DT770/600s are the most balanced closed headphones I've heard to date. The Denons are bass monsters and fun headphones and are very different in their presentation.

As comfortable I find the D7000s, I think the DT770/600 were more comfortable and isolated the outside noise a whole lot better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back