Closed Back Orthodynamic Headphone Thoughts
Oct 30, 2018 at 7:34 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

nnordstr

100+ Head-Fier
Hello All,

I'm looking to acquire some closed back planar magnetic headphones to use at work. My budget is in the $300 range. I've got a Schiit stack to power them. I've looked at the Oppo PM-3's which I'm interested in. The Audeze EL-8's do not. Does anyone have any thoughts on any other cans? Fostex TR60RP's?

Oct 30, 2018 at 8:10 PM Post #2 of 6
The Modhouse Argon is in that price range and they sound awesome. If you don't want something that boutique (you have to send the headphones to them, and it takes a few months to get them back) the ZMF Classics are in the same price range and it's my understanding they sound very similar to the Argon, slightly less bass.

Oct 30, 2018 at 10:06 PM Post #3 of 6
Oppo closed shop in the spring, so the PM-3 no longer exists as new. Maybe you could find it used for a fair price, but then there's no warranty. The plan was that the company would be available for repairs, etc., but who knows how much longer that will last.

Oct 30, 2018 at 10:42 PM Post #4 of 6
Modhouse Argon Mk3 with ZMF protein pads, or ZMF Classic. These are very nice modded Fostex T50RP MK3's, curing its biggest problems. The T60RP is also a modded T50RP but supposedly still doesn't even have sub-bass, while the Argon and Classic easily go down to around 10 Hz.

The Argon Mk3 and Classic sound extremely similar, the Argon just has even MORE bass. A ridiculous amount, too much for many since the Classic still has a lot. Though it doesn't totally drown out the mids on the Argon. Both have a clean but subdued treble response, some of the darkest headphones I've ever heard that still have some treble extension.

Oct 30, 2018 at 11:24 PM Post #6 of 6
I'll also endorse the Argons. I suggest going for perforated/fenestrated pads (like the perforated version of ZMF's Ori pads) instead of the pads that are usually recommended (ZMF Oval). Perforated pads reduce the bass a bit but improve soundstage.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back