Closed back headphones help
Jan 30, 2013 at 1:24 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

NHMN

New Head-Fier
Hi, new here. I'm looking for a set of closed back headphones for personal listening. I listen to a wide range of stuff from classical, to blues, and electronic music. Looking for something that has good clarity but also smooth highs. Not going to use them for any studio mixing etc. but more or less just for personal listening while traveling. Been using in-ear types for a while, but want something with a larger sized drivers. Budget is around $500. What would you recommend? Thanks in advance.

Jan 30, 2013 at 4:02 PM Post #2 of 5
Quote:
Hi, new here. I'm looking for a set of closed back headphones for personal listening. I listen to a wide range of stuff from classical, to blues, and electronic music. Looking for something that has good clarity but also smooth highs. Not going to use them for any studio mixing etc. but more or less just for personal listening while traveling. Been using in-ear types for a while, but want something with a larger sized drivers. Budget is around $500. What would you recommend? Thanks in advance.

Heya,

Mr Speaker Mad Dog with SR007 Stax Pads.

Or look into:

AKG K167
AKG K550
Denon D600
Denon D5000 (discontinued; maybe you can find them)
Ultrasone PRO 750
AudioTechinca A900X
AudioTechnica A1000X
Beyer DT770 (premium; not pro; discontinued but maybe you can find them)

And tweak treble where needed.

Very best,

Feb 8, 2013 at 12:01 PM Post #3 of 5
Thanks for the recommendations. Any others? Thinking I might be looking to spend more. Definitely sub-$1,000 though. I know open backs provide a more realistic soundstage, but I need the sound isolation. Thanks again.

Feb 8, 2013 at 12:30 PM Post #4 of 5
As Mal mentioned, the Mad Dogs are one of my current favorites for just $300 I think it rivals a LOT of lower/higher priced headphones!

You could also look into the other variant of modded Fostex T50RP, the Paradox.

The Shure SRH940s were my favorites for quite a while, but keep in mind that they don't have a lot of bass presence, hence not as "neutral-ish" as the previous two headphones mentioned. (but it does have awesome mids).

My current favorites, Ultrasone Signature Pro, are great also. You could probably find them for $800 or so if you look real hard! (it's harder now that RMC Audio seems is not selling them anymore! :frowning2: )

Feb 8, 2013 at 4:45 PM Post #5 of 5
Smeggy Thunderpants are my favorite closed-back headphones, and I've tried a bunch from almost all manufacturers in the sub-$500 range.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back