Classifying versions of the RS1: Your Guide (Work in Progress)
Aug 2, 2012 at 6:36 PM Post #227 of 261
On the left, 2nd gen wood box pair, on the right is old style pizza box with green foam.

This dispells something that i had taken as a given, that my first pair (on the left) were visually the same as the slightly later ones.  Pity i don't have any proof of their respective histories.

Aug 4, 2012 at 9:33 AM Post #228 of 261
Quote:
I got some pictures of the drivers from a pair of RS1 with wooden box and brown headband but it looks like these are the ones with pink drivers.

They have a nice bright, healthy pink to them! Although the cable is quite twisted (which appears even in Grados fresh out of the factory) they look in very good condition! The wood looks good and grainy too, have you shown them to us (their back, buttons,  headband, etc.) earlier in the thread, or you just got them?

Quote:
On the left, 2nd gen wood box pair, on the right is old style pizza box with green foam.

This dispells something that i had taken as a given, that my first pair (on the left) were visually the same as the slightly later ones.  Pity i don't have any proof of their respective histories.

Very nice picture I'm adding to my Grado Science photo album! A comparison between the two main letters disposition on the buttoned RS1, the 180 text and the middle spotted dots.

Aug 5, 2012 at 5:01 AM Post #230 of 261
Oh! I see, you asked for pictures of the drivers to the owner :p have you won the thing? hehe; it was a nice, barely used pair.

There's another very nice pair that has been there for a while on eBay, I don't understand why it's not being bought, lol, other than for the fact that it doesn't come with its wooden box.

Aug 18, 2012 at 3:48 PM Post #231 of 261
Quote:
Oh! I see, you asked for pictures of the drivers to the owner :p have you won the thing? hehe; it was a nice, barely used pair.

There's another very nice pair that has been there for a while on eBay, I don't understand why it's not being bought, lol, other than for the fact that it doesn't come with its wooden box.

It was tempting but I didn't bother bidding on it. 
smile_phones.gif

Aug 19, 2012 at 1:02 AM Post #232 of 261
I'll guess I will post about it, there was a "RS1" even older and weirder than mine owned by a Grado rep and won on eBay for 632U$D yesterday.

(brown headband of the Super Vintages)

RS1i gimbals with a shallow round cut out for the cable

Drivers pinkish white

Very nice piece! A bit bland looking without engraved inscriptions but lovely big buttons with the "GL" logo. There were no box to accompany the Grado

Interest for the vintage RS-1s on eBay isn't as high as it used to me a few months ago.

Nov 18, 2012 at 8:59 AM Post #233 of 261
Bought a pair of RS1i before, didn't feel comfortable after wearing them for about 30min to 1hr. Sold them because of this, although quite liked their sound. Got chance to buy another pair of well used RS1 last week. Don't really know which version they are, but they do look pretty old, not in fantastic condition:

The previous owner said it was bought in 1995 or 1996. After looked through the whole thread, I think these belong to Vintage Super? But since the drivers and cable have been changed, I guess they are not really vintage anymore.

Anyway, I quite like the sound these cans produce, and they feel very comfortable, the headband doesn't have much cramp force now, probably due to its age and long time usage. I swapped the earpads with my 12-year old SR60's old pads (color changed to yellow/orange, otherwise still in great shape w/ no cracks or whatsoever) to make these even older look:

Driving these w/ my Violectric dual, they sound great, a great company to my HD800:

Nov 20, 2012 at 12:32 AM Post #234 of 261
WAAAAAAAHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! This well padded brown lambskin headband, the reflective black metal of the gimbals, the sharp square edges of the sliding rods with metal stoppers, this thick italic font button and 180 text styling, and in such a great condition! You got some of the oldest RS-1 (body) out there! Congratulations for conquering them!

I hope that those old discolored comfies won't disintegrate and loose particles through the white cheese cloth and get stuck inside the driver's capsule!

Quote:

I also bought one of these snap-on wool headband covers (in red color) from a seller on eBay, I love it when I'm on the go and can't carefully place and replace a small cushion all the time.

Nov 20, 2012 at 8:23 AM Post #235 of 261
Quote:
WAAAAAAAHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! This well padded brown lambskin headband, the reflective black metal of the gimbals, the sharp square edges of the sliding rods with metal stoppers, this thick italic font button and 180 text styling, 8 conductors cable, in such a great condition with the drivers still white! You got some of the oldest and best RS-1 out there! THEY'RE AMAZING! Congratulations for conquering them!

I hope that those old discolored ?HD414 pads won't disintegrate and loose particles through the white cheese cloth and get stuck inside the driver's capsule!

I also bought one of these snap-on wool headband covers (in red color) from a seller on eBay, I love it when I'm on the go and can't carefully place and replace a small cushion all the time.

Thanks. The pads are still ok, just changed color due to its age.

Have been using the RS1 in the past a few days for pops and rocks, really love what I hear from them. I think my HD800 is gonna fighting for some ear time from now on :)   Both are fantastic headphones, and they do compromise each other very nicely.

Jan 10, 2013 at 2:52 AM Post #236 of 261

Just got these off another head-fi user a couple days ago

Bought 1999, black headband, circular cutouts for the cable, silver L&R, square rods with black metal end tips, no serial number, white silk/drivers. Is this a vintage B?

Jan 13, 2013 at 2:11 PM Post #238 of 261
Some Vintage A RS1 have black headbands too and they come with the wooden box. 

Jun 5, 2013 at 1:36 PM Post #239 of 261
Headphone Lounge popped this photo up on their Facebook page:

They're saying that there are about 200 pairs of these guys, the initial batch of RS1. Anyone know any more about them, or have heard a pair? I'm curious if they use HP1000 drivers, as some other early John Grado era phones do...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back