Classifying versions of the RS1: Your Guide (Work in Progress)
Jun 24, 2014 at 10:13 PM Post #241 of 261
I just got these in today! Bought from the original owner who bought them in late 1998...

I know this is an old thread, but a great thread indeed! I've used this thread for the last couple of years, and it's been a great resource!

Jun 25, 2014 at 6:27 AM Post #242 of 261
thanks for bringing this thread back to life....I am going to read thru it 
smile.gif

Jun 30, 2014 at 12:24 AM Post #244 of 261
^Thanks guys! Grado is sending me a replacement gimble, so i'll have these up and running soon. Also, when i took the above pictures, the cans were a bit dusty, I cleaned them up real good and I'll post so more pics when I get the gimble replaced.

Jul 6, 2014 at 10:57 PM Post #245 of 261
There's also a late version of Grado RS1i with red drivers (as seen from the metal grill) and which comes with a thicker cable with 1/8 inch jack in a much larger housing. Just pre Grado RS1e - I suspect these are actually Grado RS1e in RS-1 paper box.

Jul 14, 2014 at 1:48 AM Post #247 of 261
  There's also a late version of Grado RS1i with red drivers (as seen from the metal grill) and which comes with a thicker cable with 1/8 inch jack in a much larger housing. Just pre Grado RS1e - I suspect these are actually Grado RS1e in RS-1 paper box.

I have a pair of the Grado RS1i with the red 50mm drivers and with the new mahogany wood housing.  However, they are still terminated with the 1/4 inch jack.  I wonder if there are several different combinations of these transitioning headphones.

May 22, 2015 at 10:56 AM Post #248 of 261
WISE FWOM YOUWR GWAAAAAAAAAAAAVE.

I totally just traded in a bunch of headphone gear I had for an RS1e. 

You can't ever truly escape the RS1, folks. 

I'm really digging the brown headband and 1/8" jack. 

May 22, 2015 at 5:02 PM Post #249 of 261
  WISE FWOM YOUWR GWAAAAAAAAAAAAVE.

I totally just traded in a bunch of headphone gear I had for an RS1e. 

You can't ever truly escape the RS1, folks. 

I'm really digging the brown headband and 1/8" jack. 

do these sound OK to you....are you digging the darker sounding treble ?

May 22, 2015 at 7:19 PM Post #250 of 261
  do these sound OK to you....are you digging the darker sounding treble ?

So far so good. I still hear what I remember liking in the treble before. I've really spent a few years with just an HD600 as my sole high-end headphone, so I don't really have a direct comparison to older models. 

They sound like RS1's to me though. I don't think a slightly darker RS1 is a bad thing. 

May 22, 2015 at 9:31 PM Post #251 of 261
I really like this thread and all of the gorgeous photos! I came close to getting an RS1 but after demoing it back to back against a PS500, I decided I liked the PS500 better.

You know, there's something about the RS1, RS2, GS1000 that you can't help but admire. Call it old-world craftsmanship, if you will. Have there been qc problems with some Grados? Sure. Are they way more satisfying to look at than some mass-produced, black, plastic can by Senn or Audio Technica or Beyer or etc…? You bet.

And that's before you even get to the great sound!

Jul 13, 2016 at 9:37 AM Post #252 of 261
Just love this old thread and plenty of great information.

I listened to my pair for the better part of yesterday....what a fun headphone and a real joy to listen too.

I must have posted my pics in a different thread, but I am going to post them here also.

Thanks to the people who have posted pics and valuable info here 
smile.gif

\

Worms, or anybody else, know when they quit using the metal rod caps on the square rods ?

Nov 12, 2018 at 7:48 AM Post #253 of 261
Well, I've tried to be a big boy and work this out for myself but I'm stumped and need to call in the experts...

I bought my RS1's from eBay a good few years ago; tidy but well used. They had been rewired using Sommer Onyx cable. The wording wraps well round the cups, suggesting Classic; the rods are square with rubber caps, cable cutaways are rounded, the pads are bowls not flat, black headband is reasonably well padded, L and R are silver... but there is no serial number and no middle button (or indeed anything else) proclaiming RS1 (and no sign it has been removed during the re-wiring). My guess is that the reddish gauze was replaced during the rewiring process.

Can anyone advise what I have here? Many thanks.

Nigel

img_3624.jpg

img_3621.jpg

img_3622.jpg

img_3623.jpg

Dec 22, 2019 at 5:03 AM Post #255 of 261
Are there any graphs of the Frequency Response of each generation of RS1, like RS1 VINTAGE S, A, B, Classic, etc?

The RS1i and RS1e already have their graphs all over. I was wondering since these pink drivers tend to be so coveted. I want to see exactly what the difference is between them and later RS1s.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back