Classical music discussion, what do you like?
Oct 7, 2018 at 11:51 AM Post #1,682 of 2,850
Hope You Enjoy Them.......
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

Hello, Nice video . I really liked the way she played Beethoven's 3rd Piano Concerto.
Very fluid with both a delicate touch and sense of flow in the slow movement imho.
Interesting to see Mikko Frank again. I haven't seen him conduct in quite a while.
Kind of wondered where he'd gone?
He used to conduct in Stockholm when he was a bit younger. Now he looks a bit more mature but even chubbier than I remember him.
I liked the way he conducted Beethoven too. More intelligable than the finger fluttering Gergiev in Juya Wang's likewise very good performance of Brahms's first PC in Munich which I also enjoyed.

But I wish Mikko Frank had divided first and second violins on the stage. IMO very important with Beethoven's music where there is quite a lot of dialogue between first and second violins that gets a bit lost with this seating.

Talking of seating I also wonder why this still young man had to sit through the introduction of the Concerto?
Reminded me of old Klemperer.
I haven't listened to her Grieg yet. Khatia Buniatshivili's superb BBC Proms performance is still too fresh in my memory.
Cheers Christer and keep them coming.

Last edited:
Oct 9, 2018 at 5:20 PM Post #1,686 of 2,850
Better....(but Hillary's good for sure).

https://www.prestomusic.com/classic...e-weltfriedenslied-stille-nacht-heilige-nacht

silnt-cover.jpg
silnt2-cover.jpg

Oct 10, 2018 at 2:53 PM Post #1,688 of 2,850
Maybe this will help you.
Just out now....
-
-
-
-

Interesting, but I am quite happy with my Pentatone double SACD set from Julia Fischer who by the way also knows how to pronounce the name of the composer correctly .Unlike Hilary she is German.
I get jittery everytime I hear native English speakers say BAAAK and Beighthooven, and MOOZART,and I get shivers when the British try to say Claude Debussy.
Bach's timeless music, is music Julia grew up with as well.
His name means Brook in English and there is actually a quite famous quote from Beethoven saying in German about BACH:"Bach ist kein Bach er ist ein Meer!"
"Bach is no brook he is an Ocean".
In German it is pronounced with a short sharp a and the typical German ACHLAUT
Sorry I just couldn't resist after listening to Hilary speaking.
I have got nothing against her playing though.
Cheers Christer

Oct 11, 2018 at 6:59 AM Post #1,690 of 2,850
ACH, HIMMEL.

Hope I pronounced it right....:ksc75smile:

Sehr Gut.
Well since you and FB1 are figthting it out over nothing? I thought I'd start "a storm in a tea cup" as well.
Currently playing lots of Opera via good old LPs and Verdi in particular.
I am leaving dark,cold and rainy Sweden for a winter in the tropics again,in a few weeks time.
From Verdi's Il Trovatore Karajan/BPO/EMI and a stellar cast in an early 70s superb in all respects, production,to La Forza del Destino Gardelli/RPO also on EMI in equally excellent SQ and last night the first two sides of Luisa Miller in a stunning DECCA Kingsway Hall recording from 1975.
Luisa Miller is an Opera I haven't really paid much attention to before.
I know it is based on Schiller's play "Kabale und Liebe" which I have both seen and read many years ago, so I know the plot.
But with among others Montserrat Caballe and Luciano Pavarotti in the leading roles there is more to enjoy than I initially thought from this Opera.
And played loud via my large speakers I am "quasi in ciel".
Cheers Christer

Last edited:
Oct 11, 2018 at 7:13 AM Post #1,691 of 2,850
Yes, Khatia's BBC Proms = So Good ....:)

And , here you go....
-
-
-

Brilliant!
Absolutely loved it.
I am not qualified to judge who is the better pianist of these two. But since we have touched on looks and appearance once or twice I think it was wise of little Juya Wang to dress a bit more modestly placed next to Khatia.
Visually she reminds me a bit of a cute black little kitten next to a fully grown tigress. Both superb musicians for sure.
Cheers Christer

Last edited:
Oct 11, 2018 at 8:06 AM Post #1,692 of 2,850
Sehr Gut.
Well since you and FB1 are figthting it out over nothing? I thought I'd start "a storm in a tea cup" as well.
Currently playing lots of Opera via good old LPs and Verdi in particular.
I am leaving dark,cold and rainy Sweden for a winter in the tropics again,in a few weeks time.
From Verdi's Il Trovatore Karajan/BPO/EMI and a stellar cast in an early 70s superb in all respects, production,to La Forza del Destino Gardelli/RPO also on EMI in equally excellent SQ and last night the first two sides of Luisa Miller in a stunning DECCA Kingsway Hall recording from 1975.
Luisa Miller is an Opera I haven't really paid much attention to before.
I know it is based on Schiller's play "Kabale und Liebe" which I have both seen and read many years ago, so I know the plot.
But with among others Montserrat Caballe and Luciano Pavarotti in the leading roles there is more to enjoy than I initially thought from this Opera.
And played loud via my large speakers I am "quasi in ciel".
Cheers Christer

Greetings,
This one?:
https://www.prestomusic.com/classical/products/7932090--verdi-luisa-miller

You should try Caballe's Aida recording. Good stuff.
I listened to Karajan's Rheingold. It didn't do much for me. Orchestra was good as usual -- but who listens to Wagner operas for the orchestra? It's about the singing. Which wasn't bad, but it wasn't memorable imho. To be fair, Rheingold was never a highlight of the Ring for me (and for many, I suspect). More like Walkure and GDammerung.
Enjoy the tropics,
cheers
P.

Last edited:
Oct 11, 2018 at 12:37 PM Post #1,694 of 2,850
Greetings,
This one?:
https://www.prestomusic.com/classical/products/7932090--verdi-luisa-miller

You should try Caballe's Aida recording. Good stuff.
I listened to Karajan's Rheingold. It didn't do much for me. Orchestra was good as usual -- but who listens to Wagner operas for the orchestra? It's about the singing. Which wasn't bad, but it wasn't memorable imho. To be fair, Rheingold was never a highlight of the Ring for me (and for many, I suspect). More like Walkure and GDammerung.
Enjoy the tropics,
cheers
P.

Hello again P,
Can you say which label and recording with Montserrat Caballe as Aida you are thinking of?
I only have the classic Metha/DECCA/Turandot where she sings Liu both on LPs and hi res download.
The link you provided did not retrieve anything only the message not available.But the recording of Verdi's Luisa Miller I have is by DECCA recorded at Kingsway Hall in June 1975 conducted by Peter Maag if that is of any help?

I have never downloaded anything from Presto, I find them expensive compared to most other sites.
They often charge as much or more for low res MP3 files as for example eClassical.com do for the hi res version.

For new releases eClassical.com is often half price of all the competition for a limited time.

I would never pay for an MP3 download especially when some orchestras stream whole concerts for free at better resolution/ SQ than that.

Regarding Karajan and Das Rheingold ,sorry to hear you did not like it.I hope you did not get it as MP3? If so?
No wonder if you did not like it.
It is for its period actually quite a good recording especially coming from DGG in the mid 60s and needs to be heard in hi res to shine.

Your question "but who listens to Wagner Operas for the orchestra?" well I would possibly but only partly, agree with early stuff like Lohengrin and Tannhäuser and such relatively early Wagner Operas, where Wagner was still a bit of a clumpsy rather square and very German version of a Belcanto composer.
But from Das Rheingold on he really begins to "strike Gold" in his orchestration as well and not only accompanying singers imho.

All the mature Wagner Operas are about A LOT MORE than just singing imho.

And in the hands of Karajan and his absolutely top class orchestra one begins to hear things in the orchestration often only hinted at by lesser conductors.

Does the German term "Gesamtkunstwerk" ring a bell maybe?

Wagner's Ring is Gesamtkunstwerk in its full glory, if and when, performed as Wagner intended which nowadays of course is very rare indeed.
Cheers Christer

Last edited:
Oct 11, 2018 at 1:45 PM Post #1,695 of 2,850
Hi Christer,

The Aida Caballe is with Placebo Domingo and Muti/New Phil. Warner.

Thanks for the tip on eClassical, shall check it out. Compared to CDs, I find Presto gives really good prices (for Canucks like me) vs. Amazon etc.

Yes, the mIller rec with Maag et al., is very good. Classic Verdi, with less trauma than his other operas, and more like "bel canto" imho.

Gotta run. Enjoy the operas.

Cheers
Pete

Users who are viewing this thread

Back