Classical music discussion, what do you like?
Oct 13, 2018 at 10:13 AM Post #1,711 of 2,850
Interesting comparison. I would enjoy all three interpretations heard on their own.
And since I am a man who can't help judging women by their looks.I know it is considered a great sin in today's world,but anyway.

Not really. Maybe among certain groups....but it's fine with many. Works both ways.
We can't survive in a sterile world devoid of opinions.
:beerchug::)

Oct 13, 2018 at 10:19 AM Post #1,712 of 2,850
Interesting comparison. I would enjoy all three interpretations heard on their own.
Although Nicola is playing in a less suitable acoustic than the other two I like her clear clean tone without excessive vibrato too.
But I think I most enjoy the clean sustained last note from Julia. And although on its own and in isolation from the others, Hilary's interpretation sounds very warm, sometimes she gets a bit too wobbly for me.
Her last oscillating note is not the way I prefer to exit this masterpiece.
My take: either Nicola or Julia in no particular order only judging from these samples and then Hilary.
I have to dig out my Bach SACDs with Julia to hear how she played the Sarabande there.
Language wise Hilary proves she does know how to pronounce Bach correctly. And judging from her concert Julia obviously speaks French quite well?
Nicola? Well in spite of her Italian sounding name,she sounds very British indeed when she speaks.
And since I am a man who can't help judging women by their looks.I know it is considered a great sin in today's world,but anyway.
For looks my vote goes to Nicola first and then Julia and Hilary in no particular order.
Cheers Christer and yes, please keep them coming.

Yes.
If people were not first drawn to each other by "looks", then there would be no love to make happen, and no natural way to keep replenishing the species.
Everything desired, starts by sight, and ends by commitment ither honored or lost.
And yes, pretty Nicola is working from a sonic deficit.....truly.
Whereas, Hilary is keenly mic'd and still manages to overplay the piece, but her's is a truly beautiful way to interpret and deliver this impeccable music.
Julia,..... is beyond description, .....as this lovely genius can sit her million dollars worth of Strad on the closed lid of a Freshly created Grand Concert Steinway and play piano concertos AT THE SAME VIRTUOSO LEVEL SHE PLAYS HER STRAD..
THAT IS A "WOW".
Most listeners of Classical Virtuoso's have no idea that she is a Virtuoso on 2 instruments......Violin and Piano.
-
-
Julia.jpg

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2018 at 10:56 AM Post #1,713 of 2,850
Yes.
If people were not first drawn to each other by "looks", then there would be no love to make happen, and no natural way to keep replenishing the species.
Everything desired, starts by sight, and ends by commitment ither honored or lost.
And yes, pretty Nicola is working from a sonic deficit.....truly.
Whereas, Hilary is keenly mic'd and still manages to overplay the piece, but her's is a truly beautiful way to interpret and deliver this impeccable music.
Julia,..... is beyond description, .....as this lovely genius can sit her million dollars worth of Strad on the closed lid of a Freshly created Grand Concert Steinway and play piano concertos AT THE SAME VIRTUOSO LEVEL SHE PLAYS HER STRAD..
THAT IS A "WOW".
Most listeners of Classical Virtuoso's have no idea that she is a Virtuoso on 2 instruments......Violin and Piano.
-
-

Hi again, according to an interview with Julia fischer that I watched on ZDF when asked, she actually sees herself first and foremost as a pianist!
There is a concert somewhere on Youtube where first plays a Violin Concerto and then Grieg's Piano Concerto if I remember correctly.

Oct 13, 2018 at 1:13 PM Post #1,715 of 2,850
Khatia Buniatişvili Gvantsa Buniatişvili Bach Concert for Pianos and Orchestra,
Sorry I don't know how to link to the full video but this one on Youtube is my favourite of the Buniatisvili sisters!
Yes I know Glenn Gould could play BACH fast.
These two gorgeous sisters, do it not only quite fast, but also with a beauty and amazing flow I have rarely heard by anyone else.
Cheers Christer

Last edited:
Oct 14, 2018 at 8:17 AM Post #1,717 of 2,850
A little Vivaldi on a Saturday, as the Summer is ending...... is a fine thing....
-
-
-
-

Thanks,
Janine Jansen is another of my favourite young female violinists. I heard and saw her perform Sibelius's very difficult and hauntingly beautiful Violin Concerto live in Singapore with the SSO and her husband conducting this past concert season.
Her clean pure tone carried very well across the quite big hall in Singapore even during the very soft ppp introduction, and was spine tingling in the main solo sections.She was never drowned out by the orchestra either.
A memorable concert indeed.
Definitely a very good violinist who is Artist in residence in Gothenburg Sweden this season.
I think the first Concert Szymanovsky's violin Concerto is up online at GSO LIVE.

Oct 14, 2018 at 8:04 PM Post #1,720 of 2,850
Oct 15, 2018 at 12:51 PM Post #1,723 of 2,850

No i have not., but it seems like i should after all this high praise..........many notable awards given..
-
-
-

 Offer, Vivaldi: Le Quattro Stagioni
Rachel Podger (violin)

Brecon Baroque

Part of the freshness stems from the interaction between Podger and her one-to-a-part ensemble. She’s first among equals and the dynamic couldn’t be further removed from the usual notion of the... — BBC Music Magazine, June 2018, More…
  • Release Date: 20th Apr 2018
  • Catalogue No: CCSSA40318
  • Label: Channel
  • Length: 75 minutes
  • prestorecommended.png

Presto Recording of the Week
    13th April 2018
  • gramedschoice1.png

Gramophone Magazine
    May 2018
    Editor's Choice
  • bm.gif

BBC Music Magazine
    June 2018
    Concerto Choice
  • r3.gif

Record Review
    21st April 2018
    Recording of the Week
  • ga.gif

Gramophone Awards
    Shortlisted - Concerto
    -
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

==========================================================================================================
    -

She seems to possess a very warm, sweet, and mature tone. ---

-
    -
    -

-
    -
    -

Oct 15, 2018 at 1:01 PM Post #1,725 of 2,850
Well, here is another pretty girl who is a good player.
Maybe you will enjoy this, and perhaps the piece will become a fav.

This is not a familiar piece to most people who are obsessed on/by Classical music. Its Biber's "Passacaglia" 4 V.
Simple beauty, well played by Elicia Silverstein.
I love B&W videos, and this one elevates her performance.

-
-
-

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back