Classical music discussion, what do you like?
Mar 19, 2017 at 8:45 AM Post #646 of 2,850
I agree and I prefer Huxley's prose. I never knew somebody could write so eloquently about tripping on drugs XD

His half-brother was Andrew Huxley, one of my scientific idols -- a Nobel-winning neurophysiologist who, with Alan Hodgkin, identified the ionic basis of the action potential (Hodgkin-Huxley kinetics is as familiar to physiologists as Einstein's Relativity to physicists). And his grandfather was Thomas Huxley. I haven't read anything outside of Huxley's BNW and BNW Revisited. I have his collection of short stories, and his Doors of Perception, about his experiences with psychoactive drugs and hallucinations.

You know, Aldous died on Nov 22, 1963 -- his obituary was buried on the back pages of newspapers, because of a much more auspicious event that day....

Mar 19, 2017 at 9:09 AM Post #647 of 2,850

His half-brother was Andrew Huxley, one of my scientific idols -- a Nobel-winning neurophysiologist who, with Alan Hodgkin, identified the ionic basis of the action potential (Hodgkin-Huxley kinetics is as familiar to physiologists as Einstein's Relativity to physicists). And his grandfather was Thomas Huxley. I haven't read anything outside of Huxley's BNW and BNW Revisited. I have his collection of short stories, and his Doors of Perception, about his experiences with psychoactive drugs and hallucinations.

You know, he died on Nov 22, 1963 -- his obituary was buried on the back pages of newspapers, because of a much more auspicious event that day....

Thank you for that, I had no idea the squid giant axon people was that Huxley!

Mar 19, 2017 at 4:37 PM Post #650 of 2,850
@CanadianMaestro

I did a direct compariosn when i found a piece of the Phillips edition in an álbum of the DG Mozart edition, shocked a drastic change in SQ

Phillips edition: have less volume in their mastering, thus i perceived more microdetailings and reverb and air between instruments.

DG "reissue": inmediate notice was boosted volume had to turn it down, other significant was bossted bass that ruined chamber music and symphonies & choral and some piano pieces. i felt the volume combined with the bass boost totally ruined the microdetailing sometimes looking for the reverb was not as evident as with the Phillips original untouched master.

How incredible a German label did this "remaster" to a great sounding discs when we associated germans with high quality, damn they just could have copied the damn masters as they were and just repackage

On the more modern recordings some were well recorded (the ones i kept) and others had bass boost or volume bost or both, and the artistic quality was not that good, F.e Hogwood playing orf the symphony No. 40 in HIP so slow what???? i got inmediately bored and threw it straight away to recycle bin.

String uqartets were also "in your face" presence and HIP'ed i ended keeping the Quartetto italiano form the Phillips, my reference.

So between HIP, bass n volume boost and older recordings with not so good SQ for me the new Mozart 225 is a disaster. Sure for one who doesn't have a complete Mozart edition may find it good, me no

Mar 19, 2017 at 5:26 PM Post #651 of 2,850
  @CanadianMaestro

How incredible a German label did this "remaster" to a great sounding discs when we associated germans with high quality, damn they just could have copied the damn masters as they were and just repackage

It's the Populist Movement.

Mar 19, 2017 at 5:28 PM Post #652 of 2,850
  @CanadianMaestro

I did a direct compariosn when i found a piece of the Phillips edition in an álbum of the DG Mozart edition, shocked a drastic change in SQ

Phillips edition: have less volume in their mastering, thus i perceived more microdetailings and reverb and air between instruments.

DG "reissue": inmediate notice was boosted volume had to turn it down, other significant was bossted bass that ruined chamber music and symphonies & choral and some piano pieces. i felt the volume combined with the bass boost totally ruined the microdetailing sometimes looking for the reverb was not as evident as with the Phillips original untouched master.

On the more modern recordings some were well recorded (the ones i kept) and others had bass boost or volume bost or both, and the artistic quality was not that good, F.e Hogwood playing orf the symphony No. 40 in HIP so slow what???? i got inmediately bored and threw it straight away to recycle bin.

String uqartets were also "in your face" presence and HIP'ed i ended keeping the Quartetto italiano form the Phillips, my reference.

So between HIP, bass n volume boost and older recordings with not so good SQ for me the new Mozart 225 is a disaster. Sure for one who doesn't have a complete Mozart edition may find it good, me no

They cheat like that a lot. I've come across some 'remasters' with treble boost. 
mad.gif

Mar 19, 2017 at 6:40 PM Post #654 of 2,850

Quote:
  Some "hi-res" sold online can be simply MP3 or 44/16 that is oversampled. 
very_evil_smiley.gif

Agree with that personally, and a 16/44.1 Can sound pretty fine, you only need good master and recording and a Capable source and headphones

Right now Don giovanni

Mar 19, 2017 at 7:28 PM Post #656 of 2,850
Something different. Mozart's Pf Cto 20, 21, arranged for string quintet. Actually works.

http://www.prostudiomasters.com/album/page/12077#quickview/album/4760

Mar 20, 2017 at 6:38 AM Post #658 of 2,850
Debussy: Three Nocturnes, L. 91: 3. Sirens
Holst: The Planets, Op.32: 7. Neptune, the Mystic

...these other-worldly, early classical ambient, pieces have been on heavy repeat as of late.

Stokowski & LSO - BBC Chorus 1957
3ZbnniQZxY6jbbvFSFm3hAeAcRsQUhHItJymz1Zc1xE4l0gDM6G9h48zrlXmxRQNnP01DudG1HI=s512-c-e100-rwu-v1

Haitink & COA - Collegium Musicum Amstelodamense 1979
51PGgCJTqDL.jpg

Dutoit & OSM 1986
G2AngWoGLlWkVX_BJlbvm8S5MOAmE-_y5zoXR9tZ0buHPWdUNSfm6xcimjvIWBLJMOkd2mmrAw=s512-c-e100-rwu-v1

Mark Elder & Hallé Orchestra - Hallé Choir 2001 
3FFdwrmDKVSCBV33EkQL51PB-t7KV0wi7iJEQV7jQOcrvBSTPFBjFrzd2ek=s512-c-e100-rwu-v1

Vladimir Jurowski & LPO 2010
OeAZ7cSkBBAO6b68NQ2y6gG5EZcre8SKQAUQd4N409ol52UH3Dcbddftx_Q5RH4Ix9cysxexn3g=s512-c-e100-rwu-v1

Zubin Mehta & LAPO - LA Master Chorale 1971
R-1025828-1373025447-1999.jpeg.jpg

Mar 20, 2017 at 7:49 AM Post #659 of 2,850
I heard Elina Garanca live at Carnegie Hall yesterday afternoon.
Kevin Murphy piano.
Program of Brahms, Duparc & Rachmaninoff
Certainly this vocal recital of Lieder is quite a bit artsy, usually not my preferred genre but she is great.

I got my copy of her new CD signed afterwards.
51MNCtGt8cL._AC_US218_.jpg

Mar 20, 2017 at 7:53 AM Post #660 of 2,850
  I heard Elina Garanca live at Carnegie Hall yesterday afternoon.
Kevin Murphy piano.
Program of Brahms, Duparc & Rachmaninoff
Certainly this vocal recital of Lieder is quite a bit artsy, usually not my preferred genre but she is great.

I got my copy of her new CD signed afterwards.
51MNCtGt8cL._AC_US218_.jpg

I'm jealous.
The best mezzo alive. She's my favorite. I have 5 of her CDs. The best sounding one is "Meditation", great for late night.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back