Classical music discussion, what do you like?
Mar 17, 2017 at 5:26 PM Post #617 of 2,850
^^Absolutely. Inspiring, heartbreaking, you name it.

Some of you may be surprised to learn that Anthony Burgess, author of A Clockwork Orange, was also a composer, and quite a fine one at that. He writes in a busy, quasi-tonal style that certainly must challenge the players. Very good playing and sound--which does capture a few harsh notes in the heat of the moment.

Mar 17, 2017 at 9:17 PM Post #618 of 2,850
His biography is worth a read

Thanks, hope to read it one day. It can probably be turned into a film but I hope not. The documentary is really fascinating with anecdotes from various people, like when he had to replace another pianist at a concert and he sight read the entire Brahms piano concerto 2.

Mar 17, 2017 at 9:21 PM Post #619 of 2,850
Thanks, hope to read it one day. It can probably be turned into a film but I hope not. The documentary is really fascinating with anecdotes from various people, like when he had to replace another pianist at a concert and he sight read the entire Brahms piano concerto 2.

Musicians tend to underplay their practice times and exaggerate their sightreading abilities, but in his case I might just believe he pulled it off, but then he probably knew the score pretty well before and quasi sightread it lol

Mar 17, 2017 at 10:29 PM Post #620 of 2,850
Musicians tend to underplay their practice times and exaggerate their sightreading abilities, but in his case I might just believe he pulled it off, but then he probably knew the score pretty well before and quasi sightread it lol

The story goes that he memorized it on the plane!

Mar 17, 2017 at 10:45 PM Post #621 of 2,850
A crushingly intense performance of No.2. Very good sound.

Mar 18, 2017 at 5:23 AM Post #622 of 2,850
The story goes that he memorized it on the plane!

I would be oretty certain he had come across the score at one point or another. Gieseking also always learnt everything away from the piano on train journeys - crazy

Mar 18, 2017 at 2:33 PM Post #623 of 2,850
I need some laid-back music, guys.....need to chill.....just no harpsichord/organ stuff, ok?

popcorn.gif

Mar 18, 2017 at 3:55 PM Post #624 of 2,850
  I need some laid-back music, guys.....need to chill.....just no harpsichord/organ stuff, ok?

popcorn.gif

Maestro, do you not listen to much jazz? I find Bill Evans' playing the most therapeutic/chill music bar none. Although strictly not classical, I find his harmonic language and structural understanding of music to be very 'traditionally classical' and his harmonies are a wonderful hybrid of jazz and the Impressionist school of composers.

Mar 18, 2017 at 4:08 PM Post #625 of 2,850
  Maestro, do you not listen to much jazz? I find Bill Evans' playing the most therapeutic/chill music bar none. Although strictly not classical, I find his harmonic language and structural understanding of music to be very 'traditionally classical' and his harmonies are a wonderful hybrid of jazz and the Impressionist school of composers.

Bill Evans was one of my first thoughts.  Also the Modern Jazz Quartet.  When I need to chill, the key is often the instruments in the ensemble.  Woodwinds, plucked strings and vibes are favorites.  Piano can be as well, but not always.  Some of these suggestions I would classify as the musical equivalent of comfort food.

(Classical guitar and lute are my most frequent choices.)

Mar 18, 2017 at 4:08 PM Post #626 of 2,850

Absolutely, uchi and jegnyc. I listen to Bill Evans (fantastic), Patricia Barber, Hoff Ensemble, Marcin Wasilewski Trio, Kuhn Trio. Very good stuff, late night especially. Slower tempo, great acoustics. They are still "classics" in their fields.

Mar 18, 2017 at 4:15 PM Post #627 of 2,850

Absolutely, uchi and jegnyc. I listen to Bill Evans (fantastic), Patricia Barber, Hoff Ensemble, Marcin Wasilewski Trio, Kuhn Trio. Very good stuff, late night especially. Slower tempo, great acoustics. They are still "classics" in their fields.

For vocal jazz, try the albums that Ella Fitzgerald made with solo accompanists.  "Take Love Easy" and "Ella and Joe . . .Again," both with Joe Pass are favorites. Also, "The Intimate Ella" with Paul Smith.  There are others. 

Mar 18, 2017 at 4:16 PM Post #628 of 2,850
Yeah, I do find the wind pieces pretty relaxing. I don't listen to them much. Time to revisit them!

I created long playlists of the slow mvts from Haydn's piano trios (and Mozart's piano/string pieces). Unbelievably soothing. Try it. The set by the Beaux Arts Trio (Haydn) is my go-to.

Mar 18, 2017 at 4:22 PM Post #630 of 2,850
Yeah, I do find the wind pieces pretty relaxing. I don't listen to them much. Time to revisit them!

I created long playlists of the slow mvts from Haydn's piano trios (and Mozart's piano/string pieces). Unbelievably soothing. Try it. The set by the Beaux Arts Trio (Haydn) is my go-to.

Haydn's piano trio No. 44 second movement is basically Jazz.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back