Classical music discussion, what do you like?
May 5, 2017 at 6:11 PM Post #946 of 2,850
71pmB15YlnL._SL500_.jpg

May 6, 2017 at 5:56 AM Post #947 of 2,850
Does anybody know the reason why beethoven sonatas 8 14 and 23 are so often grouped together?

May 6, 2017 at 6:34 AM Post #948 of 2,850
There are conflicting accounts. It is often said Chopin was appreciative of Beethoven's ability as a composer, but didn't appreciate the temperamental nature of his works, he found Beethoven to lack subtlety. God knows, Appassionata is about as Beethovenesque as it gets, but I definitely prefer playing Chopin. Beethoven falls horribly under the fingers and maybe Chopin was the same :p

Yes, apart from getting the notes comfortably in the fingers I imagine it is hard to convey the anger & edginess in a lot of his music. I've read that Murray Perahia put off recording his music for a long time because of this.

May 6, 2017 at 7:37 AM Post #949 of 2,850
Yes, apart from getting the notes comfortably in the fingers I imagine it is hard to convey the anger & edginess in a lot of his music. I've read that Murray Perahia put off recording his music for a long time because of this.
There are conflicting accounts. It is often said Chopin was appreciative of Beethoven's ability as a composer, but didn't appreciate the temperamental nature of his works, he found Beethoven to lack subtlety. God knows, Appassionata is about as Beethovenesque as it gets, but I definitely prefer playing Chopin. Beethoven falls horribly under the fingers and maybe Chopin was the same :p
I have also read that Chopin appreciated Beethoven's little known (recognized) Choral Fantasy Op. 80 as it is a piano-centric piece that can be played with much emotion (think Serkin here) and upon reading this was my first entry into listening to classical music as a kid and probably is my most listened piece of music after Jarre's Oxygene album... funny, that Chopin never grew on me!). I also remember that Chopin very much liked Bach's keyboard concertos.

May 6, 2017 at 5:26 PM Post #952 of 2,850
bach_kdf-250x250.jpg

May 7, 2017 at 8:40 PM Post #954 of 2,850
I have also read that Chopin appreciated Beethoven's little known (recognized) Choral Fantasy Op. 80 as it is a piano-centric piece that can be played with much emotion (think Serkin here) and upon reading this was my first entry into listening to classical music as a kid and probably is my most listened piece of music after Jarre's Oxygene album... funny, that Chopin never grew on me!). I also remember that Chopin very much liked Bach's keyboard concertos.

I've always liked Chopin. Even though he was a critical person (of himself too), his music seems to be an eclectic mix of influences from Bach (he adored the WTC and wrote his own preludes), Mozart, Bellini, John Field, polish folk music to the piano instrument itself. But I guess that could also be a turn off if it seems there is too much going on.

May 7, 2017 at 9:24 PM Post #955 of 2,850
Does anybody know the reason why beethoven sonatas 8 14 and 23 are so often grouped together?
One possible reason is that they are all known by their nicknames, which, by the way, were given by his publisher, not Beethoven, so it is probably a marketing ploy.

May 7, 2017 at 10:40 PM Post #956 of 2,850
One possible reason is that they are all known by their nicknames, which, by the way, were given by his publisher, not Beethoven, so it is probably a marketing ploy.

Probably because they are the most well known I presume as you say, but other sonatas have nicknames too but I guess they are often grouped as the late period ones etc.

I've always liked Chopin. Even though he was a critical person (of himself too), his music seems to be an eclectic mix of influences from Bach (he adored the WTC and wrote his own preludes), Mozart, Bellini, John Field, polish folk music to the piano instrument itself. But I guess that could also be a turn off if it seems there is too much going on.

He's my favourite composer for the piano - as you say his contrapuntal writing is utterly sublime and he really forces you to play without any tension. It's a shame though that the latest generation of pianists often distort his music with a lot of unwarranted sentimentality. The architectural and aristocratic beauty of his compositions suffer as a result :frowning2:

May 7, 2017 at 11:20 PM Post #958 of 2,850

The Choral Fantasy is a fantastic showcase piece that combines voices, orch, and piano. Very creative, melodic and forward-looking to the 9th Symphony with its choral climax.

May 8, 2017 at 10:46 AM Post #959 of 2,850
Is true that an artist cannot hear what he%she recorded when the recording is in masterinh/mixing stage? That's bad if true

Users who are viewing this thread

Back