Classical music discussion, what do you like?
Apr 14, 2017 at 5:41 PM Post #856 of 2,850
uchihaitachi said:
/img/forum/go_quote.gif How good is this album, would you recommend it as the go to for Reicken? Reciken doesn't seem to get much love but he is a genius. I have her bohm and buxtehude which I found quite good but not amazing.

Pretty good recording quality but you must get the Studio master versión, i had the CD versión previewed and saw it hard a "Hard brickwall" filter at 22KHz for me the CD versión sounded too harsh.

It is very intimate, very well balanced perhaps a bit warm because of the Harpsichord used, but love this warmness as it relaxes the Harshness associated with most harpsichords

Bustehude i have The organ Works with Harald Vogel, the Harpsichord Works with Koopman and the chambe rmusic with Holloway, ulrik Mortensen and co. Got the vocal music with Koopman recently

Also Have Georg Böhm with Simone stella (same artista and label as this one of Reicken)

The Böhm one has the Harpsichord repertoire separate from the Organ works, Reicken has them mixed in between

Apr 14, 2017 at 6:32 PM Post #857 of 2,850
Pretty good recording quality but you must get the Studio master versión, i had the CD versión previewed and saw it hard a "Hard brickwall" filter at 22KHz for me the CD versión sounded too harsh.

It is very intimate, very well balanced perhaps a bit warm because of the Harpsichord used, but love this warmness as it relaxes the Harshness associated with most harpsichords

Bustehude i have The organ Works with Harald Vogel, the Harpsichord Works with Koopman and the chambe rmusic with Holloway, ulrik Mortensen and co. Got the vocal music with Koopman recently

Also Have Georg Böhm with Simone stella (same artista and label as this one of Reicken)

The Böhm one has the Harpsichord repertoire separate from the Organ works, Reicken has them mixed in between

So the playing is top notch?

Apr 14, 2017 at 10:24 PM Post #859 of 2,850

Apr 15, 2017 at 1:37 AM Post #860 of 2,850
  I found another interesting piece. Probably known here, but I was surprised!

Gorecki - Symphony No. 3.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-mEWlGLkjIw

Happy listening!
smily_headphones1.gif

The very beginning of that is sometimes used by speaker reviewers to see how the bass response measures up.

Apr 15, 2017 at 1:49 AM Post #861 of 2,850
I have been listening to a fair amount of classical of late, and I'm finding I much prefer music with a variety of instruments, especially tympani and other percussion, but so much is just violins or piano. Any suggestions?

Apr 15, 2017 at 6:53 AM Post #864 of 2,850
roadcykler - Stravinsky, Prokofiev for interesting instrumentation.

Bruckner, Brahms, Mahler, Strauss - for large orchestras and complex pieces.

Also, Korsakov, Holst, Rachmaninov and others can be intersting too.

Best regards!
wink_face.gif

Apr 15, 2017 at 10:27 AM Post #868 of 2,850
Apr 15, 2017 at 2:30 PM Post #870 of 2,850

I meant to ask the last time you suggested a Steinway & Son recording.

What type of listening perspective do these recordings offer ? In other words are they being recorded in an "Auditorium" like setting or are they recorded with an closer to the Keyboard listening perspective ? ( I had a real problem with how Phillips decided to record Brendel's Beethoven Piano Sonatas cycle; I'm guessing if you're a keyboard player you probably don't mind the up close perspective)

I tend to cringe a bit when I'm able to hear if the piano has any slight "playing action" flaws that I will detect every time the player plays in the register I've heard the flaw in. (Spending any amount of time in a Piano Rebuilder's shop absolutely changes how much you're listening to the Piano rather than the Music being played on the Piano)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back