Classical music discussion, what do you like?
Aug 4, 2019 at 3:13 PM Post #2,116 of 2,850
I had never heard Lady GaGa until recently.

I finally heard her music with the single note

“My my my my my my my...poker face”.
Beethoven is mad at you :D
15649459890656531768304552389436.jpg

Aug 4, 2019 at 3:21 PM Post #2,119 of 2,850
Nagging question w/o many to ask—please disregard if uncomfortable - controversial.

Re: pop music.

The deeper you’ve enjoyed orchestration, chamber, solo, etc, — has it impacted your listening habits/enjoyment of pop music?

The last pop album I listened to was November 2018 when the Dylan “Blood on the Tracks” outtakes was released.

It wasn’t intentional but something I realized from a discussion w a family member.
I have very little understanding of music genres and never had any coherence in my listening habits or playlists. I like something or I don't and that's my only way to select stuff. the only reason why I don't have more classical in those playlists is because of the huge difference in dynamic range, so even with replaygain I can't match the loudness too well and it's just annoying to constantly go from something loud to something almost inaudible. so I have some classical in those playlists, but I tend to have less than I would otherwise. right now I'm using a playlist with some of the last stuff I got: the bunch of the old versions of Bach stuff I've found so far, Billie Eilish(no clue what genre that's supposed to be????), Kalmah(screaming metal genre?), Lil' kim(I'll say rap), Mussorgsky, Propellerheads(techno?), Streetlight Manifesto(I think that's ska), some more Bach, Yelawolf(rap), in that order. and that lack of consistency is pretty much how I've always rolled.

Aug 4, 2019 at 3:25 PM Post #2,120 of 2,850
Last edited:
Aug 5, 2019 at 2:46 AM Post #2,121 of 2,850
@CanadianMaestro , what really happens in the following scenario. I plug headphones or in-ear, put some.music let's say Beethoven Piano trios. I fall asleep, (I am sure I.am asleep, some times have realized I was in a deep sleep state) . I can hear the music even while sleeping. Why?

Aug 5, 2019 at 7:31 AM Post #2,122 of 2,850
^ You're not fully "asleep". Semi-conscious. Your awareness of the surroundings is still active. Also, as long as you still receive sensory input (i.e. music thru the auditory system), you'll never be fully asleep and unaware.

Just a footnote. Our brains are actually more active when asleep than when awake. It consumes more energy than while awake and at rest (not doing strenuous mental activity). Just so you know.....

Aug 5, 2019 at 8:23 AM Post #2,123 of 2,850

^ You're not fully "asleep". Semi-conscious. Your awareness of the surroundings is still active. Also, as long as you still receive sensory input (i.e. music thru the auditory system), you'll never be fully asleep and unaware.

Just a footnote. Our brains are actually more active when asleep than when awake. It consumes more energy than while awake and at rest (not doing strenuous mental activity). Just so you know.....

Hmm interesting, but I think that depends a bit on which state of sleep one's brain is in.
I had a wonderful musical experience a few weeks ago. I was taking my usual late afternoon summer siesta in the garden under my maple tree.
But a farmer was plowing some fields in the distance. And in order not to be disturbed by the noisy tractor I put on my noise cancelling earcaps that look like a pair of closed headphones and isolate very well.

I fell asleep nicely in total silence .I don't know how long I was sleeping but during my sleep I became aware as in a lucid dream, that I was listening to the second movement of Elgar's unfinished 3rd symphony that I had been playing quite a lot recently.
And when the movement ended, still not aware that I was listening to music in a dream I was annoyed that the music stopped. I expected hearing the third movement too and stretched out my arm and tried to press play on a player that was not there at all!
I was not wearing real headphones. There was nothing connected more than my sleeping brain.

But I had just listened to the whole movement of that symphony.

Unfortunately I am not like Karajan, who once said in an interview: "You can wake me up in the middle of the night and on demand I can hear the whole of for example Wagner's Tristan und Isolde." That's almost 4 hours of music and he could remember all of it and lot, lot more while awake!
I need to be asleep for such feats.
There is a recent book on sleep and dreams by the scientist Matthew Walker for anybody interested in knowing more of what goes on in our bodies and the sleeping brain during sleep and its different stages. Matthew Walker "Why we sleep."
Cheers CC

Last edited:
Aug 5, 2019 at 9:47 AM Post #2,124 of 2,850
^ You're talking about dreaming, about which we know nothing, neurophysiologically or functionally. The OP wasn't necessarily referring to dream states.

Let's not cite outliers (like Mr. Karajan, whose testimonies bout his own prodigious memories/dreams fall outside the realm of scientifically verifiable fact) as proof of generic principles as faras sleep and dreaming are concerned.

In the end, we still know very little about dreams and their links to music appreciation/auditory processing. Speculation and personal anecdotes don't cut it.

cheers

Aug 5, 2019 at 11:49 AM Post #2,125 of 2,850
^ You're talking about dreaming, about which we know nothing, neurophysiologically or functionally. The OP wasn't necessarily referring to dream states.

Let's not cite outliers (like Mr. Karajan, whose testimonies bout his own prodigious memories/dreams fall outside the realm of scientifically verifiable fact) as proof of generic principles as faras sleep and dreaming are concerned.

In the end, we still know very little about dreams and their links to music appreciation/auditory processing. Speculation and personal anecdotes don't cut it.

cheers

Well I only quoted my, to me personally very amusing dream experience as an example of no outer sensory stimulus case as a follow up to the post of actually falling asleep to music.
Who hasn't fallen asleep to music?
I think we all have, don't you?

Regarding our mysterious brain,although it does not directly relate to music have you heard of Matthieu Richard, the French ex scientist now Buddhist monk who can both basically switch off his brain except the basic brain stem functions of his brain or light everything up as one big shining Xmas tree at will and in deep meditation?According to himself absolute awake and as lucid as he can get in that Xmas tree state.
I think he is sometimes referred to as the person who donated his brain to science while still using it himself.
But getting back on dreams and music there are quite a few examples of musicians and composers who have gotten their ideas and inspiration in dreams.
And also scientists whose discoveries have according to themselves come as a result of problems solved during the dream state.
In music Paul Mcartney is maybe the most well known case within popular music but others like Schubert for example, claimed he remembered tunes he had never known in dreams and inspired moments. And having just finished Guy de Portalez's Wagner biography, he wrote that Wagner several times mentioned that his themes and inspirations were most clearly revealed to him in his dreams.
Since I am personally not gifted with a good musical memory a la Karajan ,I find it very fascinating that my brain in the relaxed or possibly deep inner active state of sleep, sometimes lets me experience things I don't have access to in my daily waking state of consciousness.
Oops, almost forgot to mention one of the most spectacular musical dreams Stravinsky's Rite of Spring
Cheers CC

Last edited:
Aug 7, 2019 at 11:58 AM Post #2,129 of 2,850
Sorry if I am a bit pushy for the BBC Proms here again,but for those willing to open their ears and minds to some contemporary music the Proms have featured some very fascinating works recently. Zosha Di Castri's Long is the Journey- Short is the Memory is great. And Peter Etvös's new violin concerto premiered by Isabelle Faust are among my top recommendations so far this season.
And I just listened for the 5th time to a World Premiere broadcast a few nights ago. The young Finnish composer Outi Tarkiainen's first large scale orchestral work, Midnight Sun Variations, is now also available in a binaural version on the Proms website.
Absolutely mesmerizing music not to be missed imho!
There are over ten concerts in binaural version online now.
If you have never been to the Proms live but want to get an idea of what it sonds like to be there live the binaural concerts are highly recommended.
Very immersive.
But only if you listen via headphones of course.
Cheers CC

Last edited:
Aug 7, 2019 at 12:20 PM Post #2,130 of 2,850
^ The efforts to rebuild ND has stalled. They've detected lead, so a lengthy cleanup of the square, including the soil, and cathedral, will be needed. Very troublesome.

I guess old church windows contain a lot of lead, don't they?
The most tragic thing is that it happened.
It is far from the first and only church to "catch fire" in recent times.
I used to stay in a hotel next door to one of the churches in Sri Lanka many times in the past.
I've heard both Bach's and Handel's music performed there over Christmas.
CC

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back