Classical music discussion, what do you like?
Dec 11, 2018 at 8:34 AM Post #1,876 of 2,850
In that video of Brendel above, he has his index and middle fingertips bandaged. Ugly. Same in other old videos of him as well. I wonder whether that's his preference ("technique"?) or a real injury. Can't imagine how a fingertip injury could adversely affect a pianist's tactile sense of the keys.....
He has some issues with his fingernails, the bandages seem to help

Dec 11, 2018 at 9:35 AM Post #1,878 of 2,850
Heavenly beautiful.
Who just said classical composers can't compose music with beautiful melodies needs to hear this and a LOT of other TRULY great works from Schubert ,Mozart Beethoven,Brahms, Bach, Verdi,Puccini, Mahler and many many others imho.
Ok there have been some,mainly 20th century contemporariy composers who have been more mathematicians than great composers.

But all in all I think Classical music and not only western classical, is THE greatest treasure trove of great melodies.

r

When we think of "Classical", classical music, then you basically have to stop with the Three B's.
This era, is the "classical" era, tho, this same classical label is applied to even contemporary composers, as "contemporary classical", much of which is noise using notes.

And with regard to the great works by the great masters you listed, there is to be found there for certain... truly the best of the best of melodic and "true" classical music.
But on the other hand, some of what they wrote, is an exercise in notes., and not very melodic.
A lot of Bach's keyboard music is math looking for a melody.
Brahms has this same tendency.
Schuman, similar.
Mozart is more interesting, because he had a style of orchestrating his melodies, that is almost always the same....yet, beautiful....as he liked to use "bouncing" strings, is what i call it... as a way to propel his melodies along.
Beethoven is another one who could write long pieces that just strain you as you keep hoping a great melody is going to show up, and sometimes, one does and its celestial.
What i like about Beethoven is that he orchestrates much more simply then someone like Mozart, and in fact, Beethoven orchestrated as if the orchestra were a jazz combo, or quartet.
He loved to have most of the orchestra playing about 4 big chords, vs, the the way Mozart or Bach thought about using the Orchestra, in that they would have much more complex orchestrations all working like a machine.
Its unfortunate that the children in the USA are not given classical music as a mandatory "class" and experience, during their elementary school years, as to grow up never even realizing what classical music is all about, is to not experience on of the best things that life has to offer.

Last edited:
Dec 11, 2018 at 9:55 AM Post #1,879 of 2,850
When we think of "Classical", classical music, then you basically have to stop with the Three B's.

Brahms = cure for insomnia. :dt880smile:
esp his chamber music. and solo piano.

Dec 11, 2018 at 10:18 AM Post #1,880 of 2,850
Mozart's Requiem:

It is true, that K 626 was His last unfinished piece, written while He was ill.
But really, did Mozart KNOW that He was dying? Unlike Schubert, who knew that his days were numbered when he penned D.960.
It's always been a big ? in my head -- did Mozart know that His Requiem could be His last word in the canon of Western music that He helped cement? I haven't read His letters in detail, but I don't recall any explicit mention of Him being cognizant of stepping on Death's doorstep. I think that Mozart expected to recover. The portrayal in "Amadeus" may be flawed and inaccurate -- was Mozart writing the Requiem that frantically, in anticipation of His own demise?

Last edited:
Dec 11, 2018 at 10:33 AM Post #1,881 of 2,850
Brahms = cure for insomnia. :dt880smile:
esp his chamber music. and solo piano.

Amen.

I have some Glenn Gould , original releases, on vinyl, and he's playing Brahms.
What can i tell you?
The Cover photo is nice.
Even the mighty Gould couldn't save this music.......and no offense intended to Brahms, as he's a master, but, sometimes his music is just so .....

"cure for insomnia".

Dec 11, 2018 at 10:53 AM Post #1,882 of 2,850
Mozart's Requiem:

did Mozart KNOW that He was dying? Unlike Schubert, who knew that his days were numbered when he penned D.960.
did Mozart know that His Requiem could be His last word in the canon of Western music that He helped cement? was Mozart writing the Requiem that frantically, in anticipation of His own demise?

Is it possible for a human being to not hope that they will recover, no matter the diagnosis or continuing health issue?
I think , that all of us, given a terminal diagnosis, are going to subsequently wake up every day, hopeful that we are better, healed, etc.
Atheist's who are dying.... of course have less expectation of recovery then Christians, but, this is a subject best left for another thread....:)
So, if Mozart understood he was terminal, he was only 35, and this is young, and so, he would have certainly hoped he would recover.
According to the last accounts of his final days, he felt he had been poisoned, = the play, the screenplay, "Amadeus".
History has defined him as the Greatest Classical Composer, yet his Personal Life never truly reaped the just rewards that his Legacy maintains.
"who can stand before envy".....and certainly Mozart is a classic case of this being a truth.

Last edited:
Dec 11, 2018 at 12:10 PM Post #1,883 of 2,850
This has good energy and flow, and the video even offers 480p, should you dare to go there.
The next one i post, (the Bach down below) offers 780p. ......and why not.
And i really like Nathalie's voice, kinda reminds me of a smoother version of C. Bartoli's hard as stone voice.
But i so wish Nathalie would solve her "bad hair day", issue.
Cut it, wash it, paint it, remove it........do something with your HAIR !
Plz,= soon.
-
-
-

Last edited:
Dec 11, 2018 at 1:19 PM Post #1,886 of 2,850
This era, is the "classical" era, tho, this same classical label is applied to even contemporary composers, as "contemporary classical", much of which is noise using notes.

And with regard to the great works by the great masters you listed, there is to be found there for certain... truly the best of the best of melodic and "true" classical music.
But on the other hand, some of what they wrote, is an exercise in notes., and not very melodic.
Schuman, similar.
Mozart is more interesting, because he had a style of orchestrating his melodies, that is almost always the same....yet, beautiful....as he liked to use "bouncing" strings, is what i call it... as a way to propel his melodies along.
Beethoven is another one who could write long pieces that just strain you as you keep hoping a great melody is going to show up, and sometimes, one does and its celestial.
What i like about Beethoven is that he orchestrates much more simply then someone like Mozart, and in fact, Beethoven orchestrated as if the orchestra were a jazz combo, or quartet.
He loved to have most of the orchestra playing about 4 big chords, vs, the the way Mozart or Bach thought about using the Orchestra, in that they would have much more complex orchestrations all working like a machine.
Its unfortunate that the children in the USA are not given classical music as a mandatory "class" and experience, during their elementary school years, as to grow up never even realizing what classical music is all about, is to not experience on of the best things that life has to offer.

Lots of Bach's keyboard music is about the magic of counterpoint, not ' looking for a melody' .. and the idea that Beethoven was hoping for a great melody to show up is a grave misunderstanding of the man and his music
I'm not a fan of his orchestration, but hey, I'm spoiled

Dec 11, 2018 at 2:31 PM Post #1,887 of 2,850
Lots of Bach's keyboard music is about the magic of counterpoint, not ' looking for a melody' .. and the idea that Beethoven was hoping for a great melody to show up is a grave misunderstanding of the man and his music
I'm not a fan of his orchestration, but hey, I'm spoiled

I have no grave misunderstanding of the purpose of music., nor of Beethoven.
In fact, i have stated here recently for you, that too many classical composers create music that is not about melody, but is in fact about invoking math using musical notes on a page, and created only because of their obsessive- compulsion to write it.
So, what you just said is.. :

1.) music does not need melody, and this is proven by Bach and Beethoven.

Well, what you proved is what i have been saying, and also, Quinto.... = if you dont understand that music which is not rooted by melody, grounded by melody, and created based ON a melody, is not really Music....especially "Classical Music"...then you have proven that you have a grave misunderstand of "what is music and why".

Mozart said...>"music should never offend the ear"......and truly, much of what parades about as music, both classical and the rest, offends the ear because it does not offer the substance that music is designed to be made of....= BEAUTIFUL MELODY.......:)

Last edited:
Dec 11, 2018 at 4:38 PM Post #1,889 of 2,850
Beethoven's piano concertos (5) are each filled with memorable stretches of melody.
Can't imagine better examples of melody in classical music than those 5 pieces.
Not to mention his Choral Fantasy op 80. And Violin Cto.

cheers

Last edited:
Dec 11, 2018 at 6:03 PM Post #1,890 of 2,850
Is it possible for a human being to not hope that they will recover, no matter the diagnosis or continuing health issue?
I think , that all of us, given a terminal diagnosis, are going to subsequently wake up every day, hopeful that we are better, healed, etc.
Atheist's who are dying.... of course have less expectation of recovery then Christians, but, this is a subject best left for another thread....:)
So, if Mozart understood he was terminal, he was only 35, and this is young, and so, he would have certainly hoped he would recover.
According to the last accounts of his final days, he felt he had been poisoned, = the play, the screenplay, "Amadeus".
History has defined him as the Greatest Classical Composer, yet his Personal Life never truly reaped the just rewards that his Legacy maintains.
"who can stand before envy".....and certainly Mozart is a classic case of this being a truth.

Well, I hope that Mozart was wishing He would recover and was unaware that it would be His final act. btw, Amadeus was based on a play and took a lot of creative license with known facts about Mozart's life. For one thing, He wasn't a pauper when He passed. Not rich, either, but not dirt poor as suggested by His burial in a mass grave (which was standard practice for commoners, to avoid spreading the plague in Vienna at the time).

As for atheists, I believe they derive comfort from the notion that they won't be going to Hell (or anywhere, for that matter :k701smile: ).

cheers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back