Classical music discussion, what do you like?
Oct 29, 2018 at 1:00 PM Post #1,786 of 2,850
Hi Christer,
Haydn's Harmoniemesse ("Harmonie" meaning lots of wind instruments) is also good. Might be my fav Haydn mass. Prefer Mozart's masses, frankly.
cheers
pete

Oct 30, 2018 at 7:43 AM Post #1,790 of 2,850

Oh, so that's it.
more DECCA .....again....:)
Ok, so, here is some DECCA for you.
-
-
-
-

-
-
-

-
-
-

-
-
-

Thanks, I spy,"The Harp Quartet".
I will listen to it later I have no DAC/headphone connected to my laptop this morning.
With less than a week before I leave dark and cold Sweden for a winter in the Tropics again, the main part of my listening is via big speakers and analogue .
Tosca is lined up for next rotation today.
But provided this stays online for a while I'll catch up later.
Cheers Christer

Oct 30, 2018 at 8:17 AM Post #1,791 of 2,850
Thanks, I spy,"The Harp Quartet".
I will listen to it later I have no DAC/headphone connected to my laptop this morning.
With less than a week before I leave dark and cold Sweden for a winter in the Tropics again, the main part of my listening is via big speakers and analogue .
Tosca is lined up for next rotation today.
But provided this stays online for a while I'll catch up later.
Cheers Christer

Hi C.,

You need to lighten up, man. Tosca?! Depressing imo, especially since you're heading for the laid-back tropics. Try some Melody Gardot, Buena Vista, and Marcin Wasilewski too.
https://www.marcinwasilewskitrio.com/en/home

cheers
Pete

Last edited:
Oct 30, 2018 at 9:18 AM Post #1,792 of 2,850
Hi C.,

You need to lighten up, man. Tosca?! Depressing imo, especially since you're heading for the laid-back tropics. Try some Melody Gardot, Buena Vista, and Marcin Wasilewski too.
https://www.marcinwasilewskitrio.com/en/home

cheers
Pete
Hello Pete,
Tosca depressing?
Seriously?
I would rather say, Blood-Curling and Spine-Chilling stuff that never fails to raise the hairs on my neck!

But not to worry Chicken Curry, this time next week I will hopefully be cheerfully bobbing around to the contagious merry tunes of Indian Bollywood Music along the lanes in Little India in Singapore.
Bollywood music in all its crazy glory is being blasted out via big box speakers,from almost every little shop all the time there, and I just love it.

But I am not so sure how "laid back" and cheerful my next tropical destination,Sri Lanka, will be this time around, judging from some very worrying news this morning?
I am keeping my fingers crossed that things will calm down before the end on November when I am supposed to fly there from Singapore.
Anyway, meanwhile there's almost only large scale often heavy Operatic stuff like Tosca and Turandot or Elektra, on the menu here.
Dishes like that are best served via big speakers and vinyl.
Can you guess what my favourite recording on vinyl of "depressing" Tosca is?
Oops I almost forgot to mention that I actually listened to Verdi's VERY MERRY "Falstaff" a couple of days ago
Cheers Christer

Last edited:
Oct 30, 2018 at 9:34 PM Post #1,795 of 2,850
Folder.jpg

Oct 31, 2018 at 6:52 AM Post #1,796 of 2,850
Hi Christer,

Lemme guess: Karajan's Tosca, with Price? LOL

Enjoy!

Pete
Not a bad guess, but unfortunately that one is not in my collection although I have seen that it is available as hi res download from some sources.
Probably worth having just for Price I guess?
The one I spin most often is the Philips/Colin Davis /Caballe/ Carreras/Wixell double LP and SACD set.
Both on original LPs and as download I also have the classic Callas/Bergonzi/Gobbi recording on EMI.
And I also have a late 60s DECCA /Maazel/ /Birgit Nilsson/Correlli/Fischer Dieskau recording I'll play today.
And my latest Tosca intoxication was delivered in suitable perfection ,from Karajan and the BPO, in one their last analogue recordings for DGG in1980 with Katia Ricchiarelli as Tosca and Carerras again as Cavaradossi, still in great form. And Ruggero Raimondi as a spine chilling Scarpia indeed.
A bit much for most maybe?
But I just happen to love the "depressing" Opera Tosca .
Cheers Christer

Nov 1, 2018 at 7:19 AM Post #1,800 of 2,850
LOL, I've had nicknames before, but "chicken curry" wasn't one of them.

Hello Pete,
"Not to worry chicken curry" was not a nickname for you.
Why did you interpret it that way?
It is an expression in Indian English. It's how they sometimes say "there is really nothing to worry about".
Another one, spoken with typical thick Indian accent of course, goes as follows :
"From Bombay to Calcutta
It doesn't really matta
We eat curry every day."

Back on topic.
After playing My Decca/Nilsson/ Correlli/Fischer Dieskau Tosca loud via speakers and enjoying every bar of it, yesterday,it is now my current favourite recording of "terrible Tosca".
Karajan de-throned.
But maybe the early 60s Price recording will re-instate him as King?
Cheers Christer

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back