Clash of the Titans: HJE900 vs. CK10 vs. Turbine Pro Gold
Jul 14, 2010 at 2:44 AM Post #106 of 125

Quote:
Well if they raised it due to high demand they definitely aren't going to lower the price anytime soon. I would be very surprised if they lowered the price.

I ask because most products go down in price as time passes--even the Head Direct RE-0 'phones kept lowering its price--but I understand there are exceptions to the general rule. I wanted to get some feedback from you guys. Many places sell this for about $250, then I see them sold for around $130 at a few other places. I don't understand the big price discrepancy. 

The previous $109 price sounds like such a great bargain. I wish I had earlier become interested in higher caliber IEMs.

Jul 14, 2010 at 11:50 AM Post #107 of 125
Yea, I know what you mean, but with like with the RE0, you can't really expect the price to go down more(I also think the RE0 used to bring more/better accessories? Not sure). It might be possible those more expensive sources bring the Japanese packaging, which again is more comprehensive.

This old head-fi thread shows the Japanese Packaging: http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/377961/hje900-review-with-pics-56k-stay-away

I can't find a picture of the J&R packaging and accessories, but it's much less fancy, though I do believe it brings a higher quality cable. 250 is I believe the suggested retail, 129 is already a great deal for them, IMO.

Jul 14, 2010 at 7:31 PM Post #108 of 125

Quote:
Yea, I know what you mean, but with like with the RE0, you can't really expect the price to go down more(I also think the RE0 used to bring more/better accessories? Not sure). It might be possible those more expensive sources bring the Japanese packaging, which again is more comprehensive.

This old head-fi thread shows the Japanese Packaging: http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/377961/hje900-review-with-pics-56k-stay-away

I can't find a picture of the J&R packaging and accessories, but it's much less fancy, though I do believe it brings a higher quality cable. 250 is I believe the suggested retail, 129 is already a great deal for them, IMO.

You're right, I don't expect the RE0 to lower in price any further, but I also don't expect them to bounce back up, to say $99 from $79. That is why this little bump from $109 to $129 surprised me. I'm wondering--and asking about on here--whether this is a temporary little blip back to $129 and will quickly fall back to $109, or whether it's more of a permanent price increase to $129. From the postings so far, it seems the view is that it's more of a permanent increase to $129, where it should stay for a while.

Thanks for the link to the Japanese packaging. I personally don't care much about the packaging and the accessory. I just care about the build quality and sound quality of the 'phone itself.

Jul 15, 2010 at 3:19 PM Post #109 of 125

Quote:

I wasn't able to get it for your awesome price of $109, but I was able to negotiate a price of $119.99 + FS from J&R. So my order is in and it should ship by tomorrow, according to my salesguy. 

It's interesting with J&R--perhaps with all NYC electronics merchants--but one seems to always be able to negotiate a better price if you just talk to them. Even given that J&R has the lowest market price at $129.99, I was still able to get a better deal just by asking.

Your mileage may vary, but I'd suggest calling the merchants and speaking with a sales guy--as opposed to entering a web order--and you may be surprised at what they are able to offer.

I couldn't have gotten a better online price of $129.99 currently anyway, so I feel really good with J&R at $119.99.

I really hope the RP-HJE900 suits my sonic preference.

Jul 15, 2010 at 4:14 PM Post #110 of 125
Congrats on your purchase! I do hope you enjoy them. I've always enjoyed working with J&R and yes they do negotiate prices. I've actually heard the Best Buy has a price negotiation system built into their sales software, but nobody really knows about it.

Some practical advice with these: allow them to burn in to relieve the possibly harsh highs, and get used to their sound if you don't like it right away. I was immediately turned off by their sound, but I was fortunate enough to adjust to the sound within a few minutes. It seems like you've done your research though, so I think you know what to expect sonically.

You may have read about an issue with some models having their filters falling out, like mine. This isn't actually so bad, as some prefer the sound like that, and others still mod the 'phones with a layer of foam in the nozzle to alleviate the highs and tune the sound a bit. You might actually want to do this if you don't like the highs. Alternatively, you can use foam tips such as Comply's, or a tips with smaller apertures, such as Sony hybrids. I don't like the sound of either of these, as the Comply tips muffle the treble too much, and the hybrids congest the soundstage/imaging, but it may be appealing to some.

Jul 15, 2010 at 4:21 PM Post #111 of 125

Quote:
Congrats on your purchase! I do hope you enjoy them. I've always enjoyed working with J&R and yes they do negotiate prices. I've actually heard the Best Buy has a price negotiation system built into their sales software, but nobody really knows about it.

Some practical advice with these: allow them to burn in to relieve the possibly harsh highs, and get used to their sound if you don't like it right away. I was immediately turned off by their sound, but I was fortunate enough to adjust to the sound within a few minutes. It seems like you've done your research though, so I think you know what to expect sonically.

You may have read about an issue with some models having their filters falling out, like mine. This isn't actually so bad, as some prefer the sound like that, and others still mod the 'phones with a layer of foam in the nozzle to alleviate the highs and tune the sound a bit. You might actually want to do this if you don't like the highs. Alternatively, you can use foam tips such as Comply's, or a tips with smaller apertures, such as Sony hybrids. I don't like the sound of either of these, as the Comply tips muffle the treble too much, and the hybrids congest the soundstage/imaging, but it may be appealing to some.

Thanks Napilopez. I appreciate all your helpful tips and suggestions. Now the boring part comes: waiting for delivery. I'm on the west coast, so it's going to be at least a week before I get my hands on them. I'll post my comments once I receive them and test them out. I'll make sure to let them burn in a bit before making up my mind.

Jul 22, 2010 at 8:32 AM Post #112 of 125
Thank you for the review!

I'd love to try the Audio Technica some day but the price tag made my decision fairly simple: HJE900!
biggrin.gif

Jul 22, 2010 at 9:53 PM Post #113 of 125
Quote:
Thank you for the review!

I'd love to try the Audio Technica some day but the price tag made my decision fairly simple: HJE900!
biggrin.gif

Congrats, they are great earphones. It seems that the price of all three IEMs has gone up since I wrote this, but the HJE900s are still by far the cheapest.

Aug 15, 2010 at 4:52 AM Post #114 of 125
Great review. Now that I have the HJE900s, this makes me really want to buy the CK10. You said there isn't a point of moving from the CK10 to the HJE900. Is the opposite true as well?

Aug 15, 2010 at 4:43 PM Post #115 of 125
Quote:
Great review. Now that I have the HJE900s, this makes me really want to buy the CK10. You said there isn't a point of moving from the CK10 to the HJE900. Is the opposite true as well?

Not exactly. The CK10 is still more balanced, detailed, and resolving than the HJE900. Soundstage width is better as well. However, personal preferences would be enough to negate the differences between them. If you find the HJE900 to bassy and would like more mids/treble, the CK10 would be worth considering. Otherwise, it's not the right upgrade path.

Aug 15, 2010 at 8:31 PM Post #116 of 125
The HJE900 are really wonderful for their price. Was my 1st IEM and it was amazing the difference between these and your $20 PoS Koss/Apple Stock Earbuds. Even now as I have the W3 the difference in SQ between the W3 and HJE900 are not as big as it was between the HJE900 and the Koss.

Aug 15, 2010 at 9:29 PM Post #117 of 125

Quote:
The HJE900 are really wonderful for their price. Was my 1st IEM and it was amazing the difference between these and your $20 PoS Koss/Apple Stock Earbuds. Even now as I have the W3 the difference in SQ between the W3 and HJE900 are not as big as it was between the HJE900 and the Koss.

And this is why our pockets are empty. It's called "Chasing the Dragon"(herion addict term)

Sep 11, 2010 at 1:32 AM Post #120 of 125
Wow, incredible comprehensive review. I am looking for the CK10 but they seem to be out of stock everywhere. Does anyone know of a good source. Is this a sign that a new version is on the way?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back