Clash of the Titans: HJE900 vs. CK10 vs. Turbine Pro Gold
Mar 1, 2010 at 5:29 AM Post #92 of 125
Quote:

Originally Posted by JxK /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For those who have had both, would you say that the HJE900 is the logical upgrade in terms of sound signature from the Meelelec M6?

In the very general sense that it has strong bass and treble with a slightly less emphasized midrange, yes. If you start digging into the details, the similarities fade: the HJE900 is about as airy as the M6 but actually has a more intimate presentation. The M6s are also not very warm at all while the Pannies are very much so. I also have trouble imagining anyone call the M6 treble harsh but I can easily see where people are coming from to say that about the HJE900 (though it's not really past the harshness threshold for me). Bass presentation is pretty similar but of course the HJE extends deeper, and is better-controlled. Also, the mid-bass hump on the M6 is a bit lower down than the mid/upper-bass hump on the HJE to my ears.

tl;dr Yes and no. I say yes because I didn't find the HJE900 nearly as hard to like as some people say.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Silenced /img/forum/go_quote.gif
hey joker, what full-size would you compare ck10 to?

I don't like comparing full-size cans to IEMs for obvious reasons. Also, my full-size experience is limited to a bunch of Grados, JVCs, and my K601, as well as listening time with the HD600/650 and a Stax lambda rig. If I had to try I'd say that balance-wise I'd say the CK10 is closest to the little-known JVC HA-DX1, but of course it kills the $80 JVC in speed, detail, and resolution. In those areas it's actually closer to the Grado 325i, a very fast can with incredible transients. If you're interested in some particular aspect maybe I can be of more help but for me listening to a full-size can and an IEM are totally different experiences.

Mar 9, 2010 at 8:01 PM Post #93 of 125
Which one of these IEM's did you would was the most secure in your ear? Basically, which one would you recommend for active use (working out, etc)

Mar 10, 2010 at 12:39 AM Post #94 of 125
The CK10 by a long shot. When worn natively (over-the-ear) and inserted properly they are extremely secure. They are also the best-built and have no microphonics, which is ideal for exercising. I remember Shigzeo saying that the CK10 was his favorite active IEM, and I agree.

Jun 6, 2010 at 2:14 PM Post #95 of 125
Joker,
Thank much for review..
I am wearing my HJE900s as I type and loving them..

My next best IEMs was the stock iPod Touch IEMs so I not an expert but thanks for sharing your knowledge..

RB

Jun 6, 2010 at 11:57 PM Post #96 of 125
Oh wow, I wasn't expecting to see this thread bumped and my notifications aren't working so well. Glad you like the phones. Still one of the best ~$100 sets out there IMO and I don't expect that to change anytime soon
beerchug.gif

Quote:
Joker,
Thank much for review..
I am wearing my HJE900s as I type and loving them..

My next best IEMs was the stock iPod Touch IEMs so I not an expert but thanks for sharing your knowledge..

Jul 13, 2010 at 9:03 AM Post #97 of 125
Yep, appreciate the review Joker. I'm really liking the description--and price--of the Panasonic. Where are you finding them for ~$100? The lowest I see them being offered--non ebay--is $129.
Quote:
Oh wow, I wasn't expecting to see this thread bumped and my notifications aren't working so well. Glad you like the phones. Still one of the best ~$100 sets out there IMO and I don't expect that to change anytime soon
beerchug.gif

Jul 13, 2010 at 12:00 PM Post #98 of 125
This article is pretty old, and since the Pannies have gone up in price do to higher  demand. I'm guessing you found them at such price at JR? As far as I know, that is the lowest price. JR actually were the ones who had it at 109, the price at which I bought mine. Once the stock ran out due to demand, they brought them back in at higher(though still the cheapest) price. I'm still using mine and I love them as much as ever.

Jul 13, 2010 at 12:16 PM Post #99 of 125
Well the cheapest I find them is at 150 $.
Do you know if there are fakes out there?

Jul 13, 2010 at 4:26 PM Post #101 of 125
Yeah, that's right - they were $109 at J&R back when I wrote this but the price has gone up since. They are still very competitive at $130 though. And I really doubt there's fakes of these out there. The manufacturing cost is too high and the housings are pretty distinctive. They wouldn't really feel right if they were made out of plastic or metal.

Jul 13, 2010 at 5:00 PM Post #102 of 125
This is what happens when good cheap products get popular :p Also $130 still isn't bad although I live in New York where J&R is located so I would have to pay tax on top but I don't have to wait for shipping so a tradeoff I guess ;p

Jul 13, 2010 at 7:07 PM Post #103 of 125

Quote:
This article is pretty old, and since the Pannies have gone up in price do to higher  demand. I'm guessing you found them at such price at JR? As far as I know, that is the lowest price. JR actually were the ones who had it at 109, the price at which I bought mine. Once the stock ran out due to demand, they brought them back in at higher(though still the cheapest) price. I'm still using mine and I love them as much as ever.

Yes, JR and a couple of other NY sellers. I'm wondering if they ever go on sale. Or will the price stay constant at $129 going forward?

Jul 13, 2010 at 7:38 PM Post #104 of 125
Personally, I don't expect them to go down in pice anytime soon, especially given that they are really more of a Japanese Semi-Import(they aren't even listed in Panasonic's US website, even if the box is in english). The Japanese version actually comes with a lot fancier packaging and better accessories from what I've seen. But yea, I can't see the price going down any time soon unless some new retailer carries it, or Panny releases an HJE1000 =]

Jul 13, 2010 at 9:57 PM Post #105 of 125
Well if they raised it due to high demand they definitely aren't going to lower the price anytime soon. I would be very surprised if they lowered the price.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back