Clash of the Titans: HJE900 vs. CK10 vs. Turbine Pro Gold
Feb 18, 2010 at 5:33 AM Post #16 of 125
well 2 tough as nail japanese iem > 1? :p

actually ive been looking at something that goes with my ck10 to offer a different signature. For me at least its more like looking for a "fun" phone that may possibly replace my TF10 as I'm not using it that often anymore.

Feb 18, 2010 at 5:42 AM Post #17 of 125
joker, I know I'm about to compare two IEMs in completely different price brackets...but...would you say that the MTP and meelelec M11 have similar sound signatures? The MTP is definitely better...but do they sound the same on a more basic level with the deeper bass and sparkle-less treble extension?

Great review by the way. It is nice to see that "top-tier" no longer means top dollar...or at least not 400 dollars.
wink.gif

Feb 18, 2010 at 7:17 AM Post #18 of 125
Quote:

Originally Posted by rawrster /img/forum/go_quote.gif
some questions about the hje900..how is it wearing over the ear? the metal thing which is probably where the cable connects to the housing looks pretty long and might make the cable even shorter. also would you say the cable has that much memory like say a shure iem after you been using it a while

Unless you have small ears wearing them cord-up is fine. The long strain reliefs don't reach the end of my ear when worn upwards so there's plenty of room for the cord to loop around. Cable is short, yes. I sometimes keep my fuze in my front pocket but run the cables down my back, between my shirt and jacket, especially when I'm working with powertools. Can't really do that with the Panasonics. I noted this here:

Quote:

Originally Posted by ljokerl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The HJE900 can be worn cord-up but those with smaller ears may have trouble keeping the cords in place. Wearing them over-the-ear can also be problematic for taller users as 1.2m cable is a gross overstatement.

Cable memory isn't an issue. I actually like a bit of memory to my cables (CK10 does this well) but the HJE900 cable is a bit more unwieldy. After months of using them it might maintain its shape but the set I was using does not do this.

Quote:

Originally Posted by tstarn06 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Owning two of the three IEMS (CK10 and MTPG), excellent analysis Mike. I also have the Pannys here too, soon to be sent abroad, and I have just let them burn in for two straight days. My big question is, are you buying them too? I probably will not, only because I really just need two top tier IEMs around, and I still really appreciate the lowly PR1 Pros, especially for long-term, laid back listening. Thanks for turning me onto the Cyclones and, along with Shigzeo, the CK10s.

Thanks
wink.gif
. No, I will not be buying the Panasonics. Not because they are bad earphones but they aren't different enough from the CK10 to warrant having both - they are both beautifully built Japanese IEMs with sparkly treble, good imaging, and fast transients. The detail freak in me does prefer the low-decay bass of the CK10 and when I want something a bit more natural and less engaging I instinctively reach for the PR1 or even the RE252 (nope, have not sold them yet). And I will likely be getting rid of the Turbines, too. Truth is the only universal IEMs I am still curious about are the EQ-7 and the upcoming X-Jays.

Quote:

Originally Posted by rawrster /img/forum/go_quote.gif
well 2 tough as nail japanese iem > 1? :p

actually ive been looking at something that goes with my ck10 to offer a different signature. For me at least its more like looking for a "fun" phone that may possibly replace my TF10 as I'm not using it that often anymore.

Yes, they are fun. But see above for why I would personally not want to have both the CK10 and HJE900. I think the CK10+RE252 combination I've been using for the past few months is actually more complimentary. But of course the HJE900 has a much more likable signature so it's a personal choice.

Quote:

Originally Posted by JxK /img/forum/go_quote.gif
joker, I know I'm about to compare two IEMs in completely different price brackets...but...would you say that the MTP and meelelec M11 have similar sound signatures? The MTP is definitely better...but do they sound the same on a more basic level with the deeper bass and sparkle-less treble extension?

Great review by the way. It is nice to see that "top-tier" no longer means top dollar...or at least not 400 dollars.
wink.gif

Considering that the TF10 has historically always been one of the triple-armature "top tiers" and the CK10 beats it in several aspects I think you are right - the 'top-tier' label is now applicable to any high-performance earphone. It all depends on the focus anyway. If it's treble quality you're after the $80 RE0. If it's bass extension than the Atrios are still the best I've heard to date. And so on..

As for your question, the MTP is indeed very very far out of the M11's league but on that very general level you are correct - their balance is similar.

Feb 18, 2010 at 7:25 AM Post #19 of 125
Excellent review, Joker. I know you prefer the more analytical sound signature, so your rating of the HJE900 exceeded my expectations.

Quote:

Originally Posted by shigzeo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Excellent review and I concur at least with the MTP and CK10, but I've not heard the Panasonic earphones yet.

I did notice that yet.
wink.gif

Feb 18, 2010 at 7:44 AM Post #20 of 125
I'll just add, one possible detracting point from the HJE900 may be the replaceable cable...or rather the lack thereof. I just spent a couple minutes trying to find a dealer that sells them, and wasn't successful. Still, they sound like an excellent value and with a sound signature I would enjoy, I think.

Feb 18, 2010 at 8:08 AM Post #22 of 125
Ah, if that's the case then the HJE900 is indeed an amazing value. Thanks for the info.

Now, if only I could do something about my small ears...

Feb 18, 2010 at 1:35 PM Post #25 of 125
Totally worth loaning my sweet little Panasonic 900's to Joker. This Clash of the Titans is one of your finest reviews!
beerchug.gif

I wish you had the Ortofons to compare, I got a feeling that will be the only likely upgrade from the 900's for me : ).

So the CK10 is the finest analytical?
The MTG is Jekyl and Hyde-- analytical and/or fun depending on tips and insertion?
The 900's CZ's are the Funnest?

Feb 18, 2010 at 2:03 PM Post #26 of 125
Quote:

Originally Posted by JxK /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'll just add, one possible detracting point from the HJE900 may be the replaceable cable...or rather the lack thereof. I just spent a couple minutes trying to find a dealer that sells them, and wasn't successful. Still, they sound like an excellent value and with a sound signature I would enjoy, I think.

You may want to contact SEYO-shop.com, they may still be able to get to replacement/upgraded cable for the HJE900.

Feb 18, 2010 at 2:29 PM Post #27 of 125
Although if the replacement panasonic cables are of the same short length as the stock ones, it might be better to get the sleek audio ones which are reported to be a bit longer
EDIT
@Mark : i think that the pair of HJE900 joker got from Orange1 have had a lot more burn-in time than the one you got from yipcanjo, this might be the reason yours could sound harsher in the treble (i hope so)

@Joker : Fantastic review... You know you need to get yourself some E-Q7 soon...

Feb 18, 2010 at 4:41 PM Post #28 of 125
Quote:

Originally Posted by james444 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Excellent review, Joker. I know you prefer the more analytical sound signature, so your rating of the HJE900 exceeded my expectations.

I was surprised as well, mostly by how quick and dimensional they were and by the natural timbre. The tonal may not be ideal for me but I can appreciate a good, fun sound as well
wink.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by james444 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I did notice that yet.
wink.gif

Same here... I shall be expecting a TMA take on the Pannys, then.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mark2410 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
nice review as always

you ever find the 900 a bit hard and aggressive in the highs? i do at times

They're forward in the treble, but not really as bad as some other phones I've been using lately. My set had quite a few hours on it and I probably gave them a good 70-80 more. Plus I'm acclimated to the Ck10, which isn't exactly laid-back at the top of the range either. But yeah, I agree. I know you prefer a more gentle approach and on that front these can't compete with something like the RE252.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Orange1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Totally worth loaning my sweet little Panasonic 900's to Joker. This Clash of the Titans is one of your finest reviews!
beerchug.gif

I wish you had the Ortofons to compare, I got a feeling that will be the only likely upgrade from the 900's for me : ).

So the CK10 is the finest analytical?
The MTG is Jekyl and Hyde-- analytical and/or fun depending on tips and insertion?
The 900's CZ's are the Funnest?

Thanks again, Orange
biggrin.gif
. I wish I had the Ortofons as well. Open to donations in the form of review sets
wink.gif
. Your summary sounds about right. I really wouldn't cal the CK10 the finest analytical. That title probably goes to my old Etys. But the CK10 are as detailed and precise as it gets, just not as dry. The MTP/G is indeed a tweakable beast. I think the Coppers might be harder to coax away from neutrality but I really can't be sure. Your precious CZs are the most fun in the conventional sense, yes
beerchug.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by daouda /img/forum/go_quote.gif
@Joker : Fantastic review... You know you need to get yourself some E-Q7 soon...

Yes, yes I do.

Feb 18, 2010 at 5:40 PM Post #29 of 125
Cheers for the great head-to-head review! I always enjoy reading your reviews and this one is, quite possibly, your best thus far.

I can't comment on any of your analysis/conclusions, as I have not heard any of the 3 "titans", but loved reading through your detailed listening impressions.

Going to add this thread to your sig? I think you may be out of space already.
wink.gif

Feb 18, 2010 at 6:30 PM Post #30 of 125
Quote:

Originally Posted by jwhitakr /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Cheers for the great head-to-head review! I always enjoy reading your reviews and this one is, quite possibly, your best thus far.

I can't comment on any of your analysis/conclusions, as I have not heard any of the 3 "titans", but loved reading through your detailed listening impressions.

Going to add this thread to your sig? I think you may be out of space already.
wink.gif

Agreed. Extremely detailed, useful, and colourful review.
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back