Circumaural headphone pain
Jul 2, 2012 at 7:55 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

paxl13

New Head-Fier
Hi guys,

I've been reading this forum since a long time. I was having a question for you all ! I've bought the Sennheiser RS 180 about
1 week ago and I'm suffering from all weird pain that I think I can relate to the headphone and where it presses on my skull.
About 1 year ago I bought ( before finding this website :wink: The Bose AE headphone. I've never been able to wear them more than
about 2h long without have wier pain ( which ressemble to what I feel when wearing my RS180 )

Ok after all this blable... Basically, I'm suffereing from jaw pain, pain in the sinus when I wear them for an extended period of time.
I've tried to put a q-tips between the top of the part that swivel from the hearcup so that it doesn't press near the bottom of the 
ear, It help but I still get the pain / pressure under my eye... and at some point it even create ear dryness... My question is
should I try to perceverate to see if all this will go away or to return them and try to find some good supra-aural wireless
headphones ? If anyone have any suggestion, please tell me !

Cheers,
Xavier

Jul 3, 2012 at 2:56 PM Post #3 of 10
I have TMJ, and if headphones are tight on my jaws or head, I feel the same discomfort you have described. And when I use my Xtreme Xplosives earbuds, the pressure built up inside of my ears can sometimes be too much. I'd recommend trying out some earbuds that sit in your ears, rather than in them, and look at some clip on headphones. That, or get some very, very comfortable headphones. I'm wearing the AKG Q701. They are so very comfortable and light, sometimes I even forget I'm wearing them.

Jul 3, 2012 at 8:11 PM Post #4 of 10
I'll try to perceverate, after about 5h today I basically get a bit more of pain but nothing critical.. I'll leave the headphone sleeping on my computer too so that they get less thight ! We will see, I still have 2 weeks+ on my return.. let just see how it unfold, I'll keep my progress here !

Jul 3, 2012 at 8:17 PM Post #5 of 10
That's crazy.  I found the Bose AE/Triport to be some of the most comfortable headphones ever.  I think only the K601s are more comfortable.  You might try those.

Jul 3, 2012 at 11:06 PM Post #6 of 10
I'll try to perceverate, after about 5h today I basically get a bit more of pain but nothing critical.. I'll leave the headphone sleeping on my computer too so that they get less thight ! We will see, I still have 2 weeks+ on my return.. let just see how it unfold, I'll keep my progress here !

What is "perceverate"?

Anyways, I actually found the AE2 to press on my temples a bit too aggressively as well, and it did result in some minor discomfort (not the worst I've ever worn). The QC15 seemed to address that problem (the pads are springier), and I had no pain as a result. Some other models I'd look at would include the AKG K701, Sony MDR-SA5000 and MDR-F1, and Kenwood KH-K1000 (I'm purely looking at comfort concerns here, but they all sound good, including the QC15).

Personally, I feel that if they're uncomfortable today, there's no point in suffering. Return them and buy something else. If you bought them from Bose directly, you have a 30 day return policy (they'll ask why you're returning them, and you can tell them if you like); I'm not sure if Bose (or other retailers aside from Best Buy) will let you upgrade/trade-in for another set of headphones on the spot. They might have to process it as a return and separate purchase.

I'd say try QC15s out in a store if you can (if you really like the Bose sound, they're it), or one of the other models if possible (the other models are probably a lot harder to track down in-store).

Another headphone to try, that's completely different, would be the Grado SR-60i. It's on-ear, and has fairly soft foam pads; see how that strikes you in terms of fit and comfort. It may be the ticket, it may not.

Jul 3, 2012 at 11:24 PM Post #7 of 10
I feel the same pain. It's right at the top of my head where the headband rests. I had this problem with the logitech g930 and now with my AKG Q701. I fixed it by adding some kleenex to the headband of the q701 (since I believe it's due to one of the bumps putting most of the pressure on one spot).

Jul 4, 2012 at 11:59 AM Post #8 of 10
Hi guys,

I'll try harder to see if the pain go away :) I wasn't clear enough, the headphone I'm having problem with
is the Sennheiser RS180. The problem is that I'm looking for a wireless headphone and there is not much on the market to try. I know that On Ear headphone usualy doesn't bother me. Another try I could do is
the Sennheiser MM 550. Wireless and On ear... I'll see, I have 14 days before my return time is up.

Cheers,
Xavier

Jul 4, 2012 at 12:32 PM Post #9 of 10
Hi guys,

I'll try harder to see if the pain go away :) I wasn't clear enough, the headphone I'm having problem with
is the Sennheiser RS180. The problem is that I'm looking for a wireless headphone and there is not much on the market to try. I know that On Ear headphone usualy doesn't bother me. Another try I could do is
the Sennheiser MM 550. Wireless and On ear... I'll see, I have 14 days before my return time is up.

Cheers,
Xavier

Try adding more padding to the headband.

Jul 4, 2012 at 12:58 PM Post #10 of 10
I'll try this out, but I'm almost certain that it can also be due to the fact that I'm not used to be pressed
around the ear somewhere... None the less.. the RS180 sound really really awesome !

Cheers,

Users who are viewing this thread

Back