Christmas Present For An Old School Guy
Nov 28, 2010 at 10:52 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

iLovPieNCake

100+ Head-Fier
I am wondering if you guys know of any old school cans under 100$. I'm looking for some old school stuff for my father and wouldn't mind trying them myself 
biggrin.gif
 He is a fan of reel to reel tape players and loves ACDC. Any suggestions ?

Nov 28, 2010 at 11:03 PM Post #2 of 13
The Grado SR80 sounds like the ticket for you. You can't find anything that looks more old-school and it's an excellent headphone for rock music. 

Nov 28, 2010 at 11:54 PM Post #3 of 13
How about AIAIAI Tracks or Fischer Audio Oldskool? They do have very retro look. Grado, ofc. Fullsize headphone try take a look at Fischer audio FA-004.

Nov 29, 2010 at 2:00 AM Post #4 of 13
This just screams "Grado!" to me. The SR60i or SR80i would be within the price range, and the former especially has legions of fans around here (so you can read all about it for about a month straight if you want).

Nov 29, 2010 at 7:18 AM Post #8 of 13
Yep, this is a real easy one

Grado, not a single reason to look further for something else (unless your mother needs your father to have closed cans)

Nov 29, 2010 at 4:29 PM Post #10 of 13

Quote:
Is there a big difference between the SR60s and the SR80s ? Are the SR80is just the newer version of the SR80s ?

They would both be good but right at this price point I'd say they are the easiest accessable and best price to performance for this kind of music. Alessandro MS-1's would also be a good headphone and closer to the target budget.

Nov 29, 2010 at 4:43 PM Post #11 of 13
SR80 is considered somewhat better than SR60, but both are considered a great bang for the buck

Nov 29, 2010 at 5:12 PM Post #12 of 13
I can't tell a difference between the two.  It used to be that the SR80 had the advantage of coming with bowls (slightly larger, more open) pads rather than comfies.  The comfies provide better bass but are less clear than the bowls, in part because of the filtering created by not having any sound hole and in part from placing the ear slightly closer to the driver.  Now, both cans use the same pads, so the differences between these two are tweaks Grado uses to differentiate them.

Some reviews give an edge to the SR80 while others say it's calibrated a little too sweet and that it's less of an improvement over the SR60 than a lateral shift to a sharper, shriller can designed to compensate for the filtering of the comfies.  I honestly don't hear much difference, if any, but for $20, many people sleep easier knowing they bought the more expensive can - even if we're only talking about $20.

Nov 29, 2010 at 11:33 PM Post #13 of 13

Quote:
Alessandro MS-1's would also be a good headphone and closer to the target budget.

Just so the OP knows, Alessandros are Grados, too, just a special line made for John Grado's friend and amp maker George Alessandro. They have a similar aesthetic and sound, but are a little different in both respects. Last I checked, the MS1 is $100, so right on target.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back