Christian Rock
Apr 18, 2009 at 4:18 AM Post #61 of 109
Don't crap on this thread, Milkweg. People are getting good recommendations here without a debate over what is and is not Christian rock.

We certainly don't need you proclaiming what is and is not phony. That's for God to decide.

Apr 18, 2009 at 2:48 PM Post #63 of 109
Not a Christian Rock band by their own admission, but Christian background and with a baptist father growing up.. they cant help but "Shine"

Collective Soul. If you have not experienced HOME their DVD or CD its a concert worth watching. They partner up with the Atlanta Youth Orchestra for a wonderful show.

There are many bands that kind of slip into this middle layer between Christian labeled music and not..In my mind I would lean Collective Soul more towards the right than the left.

Apr 18, 2009 at 3:11 PM Post #64 of 109
Quote:

Originally Posted by milkweg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hardly. And if you listen to the lyrics on the album Children of God closely you will clearly see they are far more spiritual than 99% of phony Christian Music.

What? What I said is "hardly" IMO? Let's ask farmer Hank. I'm glad somebody here can spot the phonies in the world because...I'll be honest...I can't.

Apr 18, 2009 at 4:42 PM Post #65 of 109
Does anybody here agree with me that just because the artist(s) is Christian, it does not mean that the music has to be filled with worship-ful lyrics, but since there are christian members in the band it is still morally good music, so it does not fill your mind with garbage-thoughts? (weirdly formulated question i know hehe
biggrin.gif
)

Apr 18, 2009 at 11:47 PM Post #67 of 109
If that is the case then Pedro the Lion is a good example, U2 is another, Bob Dylan's recent work, Prince's recent work um.... who else now... someone mentioned Sufjan Stevens, certainly Seven Swans is theologically influenced so are some of his other tunes on various albums.

Apr 19, 2009 at 6:06 AM Post #68 of 109
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fido2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What? What I said is "hardly" IMO?

It's my suspicion that you have never even really listened to Swans much at all if that is your claim.

"The river that runs with love won't run dry".

Over and out.

Apr 19, 2009 at 6:07 AM Post #69 of 109
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zanth /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If that is the case then Pedro the Lion is a good example, U2 is another, Bob Dylan's recent work, Prince's recent work um.... who else now... someone mentioned Sufjan Stevens, certainly Seven Swans is theologically influenced so are some of his other tunes on various albums.

I read Prince became a Jehova Witness.

Apr 19, 2009 at 11:44 AM Post #70 of 109
SWANS - CHILDREN OF GOD Here are the complete lyrics to the album mentioned.

I have nothing at all against the swans. If you like them rock on. I personally don't enjoy that type of sound. I sometimes listen to "death metal" like Six Feet Under. It can be quite cathartic for me at times, but I would NEVER attempt to classify it as Christian Rock.

I would recommend if you really like the Swans and that kind of ethereal, quasi-spiritual type music give a listen to Dead Can Dance. There is much more light in their music. There is still darkness but the balance is fantastic and just beautiful. However; they too are not what I would call a "christian" band. I don't think they would classify themselves that way either.

Apr 19, 2009 at 9:00 PM Post #71 of 109
THat's ok if you don't like them. I didn't expect you to because they are an acquired taste but their music is on a spiritual level that goes beyond standard Christian music IMO. I took offense to your comment that they are a copy of The Cure and Bauhaus which is just plain not true. Michael Gira's (main Swans member) latest band is called 'Angels of Light' so even the bands title implies where he is coming from.

I've been listening to DCD since 1986 which is about the same time I first started listening to Swans so am very familiar whith their music and they touch me on a spiritual level too. Saw them live in the early '90s also.

I was once invited to an Evangeleical church so went to see what it was about and because I didn't want to offend the person who invited me. They had live Chrisitan music playing and how the church members acted to the music just creeped me out and came across as phony. The music was trite too. Man is both light and dark and all shades in-between and a real artisit will explore all shades.

Apr 19, 2009 at 11:00 PM Post #72 of 109
Milkweg: I hear you bro. No probs here. I respect your position and opinion. I am glad you like DCD they are awesome IMO. Sorry I don't really like the Swans. Please feel free to PM me if you want to talk more in depth....later friend.

Apr 19, 2009 at 11:34 PM Post #73 of 109
Quote:

Originally Posted by milkweg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I read Prince became a Jehova Witness.

Yes. Yes he sure did! In a big way too.

Apr 19, 2009 at 11:43 PM Post #75 of 109
Anybody here like Divinefire? Christian Prog metal I just found on...dare I say it...youtube (I dont like youtube quality, but it is good for finding new bands)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back