Christian Rock
Apr 19, 2009 at 11:58 PM Post #77 of 109
Yes, I didn't really think about them in that way until I listened to their lyrics closer. One of Bonos close friends is Gavin Friday of Virgin Prunes and their music is dark sounding but they also have lyrics that are on a spiritual level.

http://www.virginprunes.com/

Here is the lyrics to one Swans song. I know the music sounds dark and some of the lyrics too but that is what makes them interesting as it is a bit of paradox if you actually explore the lyrics deeper.

Our Love Lies
[Gira, Westberg, Kizys]

We'll fall down
On broken knees
And we'll cry for you now
We'll cry for your mercy
We believe in love
We believe in love
God save us now
We believe in love
We degrade ourselves
But we dig our own grave
Jesus Christ the Lord
Save us now
We believe in love
We believe in love
God save us now
We believe in love
You said all my life
Would be in vain
If I gave up on anything
I knew to be true
Or a provable lie
So I believe in love
I believe in love
God save us now
I believe in love
And I open the door
And there they lie twisted
And misshapen
They suffer for love
And they're sick to death
Of the dreams they used to have
And they're sick to death
Of their beautiful lie
God save us now
God save us now
God save us
Please
Save us now
We believe in love
We believe in love
God save us now
We believe in love
God save us
Please

Apr 20, 2009 at 3:46 AM Post #78 of 109
Actually, Swans are probably anti-religion and those are the lyrics of a tortured soul.
wink.gif

Apr 27, 2009 at 6:49 PM Post #80 of 109
I'm christian and just don't like listening to music that popularizes my faith.

It is just plain WRONG, my opinion.

Music in general about spirituality and faith I have no problems with. But commercializing and profiting from my faith, that I have a lot of problems with.

I love Collective Soul and thankfully anyone who wants to call them Christan Rock, I will gladly call you blockhead.

Quote:

Originally Posted by tev /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Arguably the greatest band in history is Christian based - U2!

What's your criteria of Greatest? Selling most albums to pubescent girls throwing their training bras on stage? U2 is arguably one of my least favorite bands on the radio today and 10 years ago. And well just google U2 and Christian Rock. Then I google U2 with Satan. Yeah there is a lot of doubt that U2 is Christian rock based. But there seems to be not a lot of question that they are Satanic. Just saying... I don't think a Christan based rock band should have so many websites dedicated to Satan with them.

Apr 27, 2009 at 10:09 PM Post #81 of 109
Thanks for the Theocracy lead. They are more metal than I usually like but hearing a spiritual based message is easier to listen to. I can catch the groove of metal really well with "Laying the Demon to Rest". You guys may be converting a confirmed 60-70s rocker to a new scene. "Martyr" jams too. OK, I'll get this one.

Cool.

HC

Apr 27, 2009 at 10:59 PM Post #82 of 109
I am not sure if this thread is still going in the more metalcore or harcore direction but some great christian bands that i like are

Disclaimer some of these bands may be considered "emo" / "screamo"

Akissforjersey

Becoming the Archetype

War of ages

Holding Onto Hope

Underoath

A Plea for Purging

Emery

Ocean is theory

Agraceful

plus a whole bunch more i cant think of right now...

Apr 28, 2009 at 6:32 AM Post #86 of 109
Quote:

Originally Posted by mbd2884 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm christian and just don't like listening to music that popularizes my faith.

It is just plain WRONG, my opinion.

Music in general about spirituality and faith I have no problems with. But commercializing and profiting from my faith, that I have a lot of problems with.

I love Collective Soul and thankfully anyone who wants to call them Christan Rock, I will gladly call you blockhead.

What's your criteria of Greatest? Selling most albums to pubescent girls throwing their training bras on stage? U2 is arguably one of my least favorite bands on the radio today and 10 years ago. And well just google U2 and Christian Rock. Then I google U2 with Satan. Yeah there is a lot of doubt that U2 is Christian rock based. But there seems to be not a lot of question that they are Satanic. Just saying... I don't think a Christan based rock band should have so many websites dedicated to Satan with them.

You're using Internet opinion as evidence for U2's Satanism? A strange epistemic method, if ever I saw one.

Apr 28, 2009 at 7:17 AM Post #87 of 109
Ah well, it's the same flawed logic as 'They Sold their Souls...' uses.
@abellaw: niiice.
@lifesundeath: lol. the Max Cavelera Sepultura was not anti, was it? I only knew the Chaos A.D album and I thought it was awesome.

I've got another reccomendation, though it is kind of controversial. I've been listening to 'The Inner Circle' by a band called 'Evergrey'. It's not Christian. So it doesn't really belong in this thread. However; I do believe the album can be of value to alot of Christians. At least it is for me. It shows what faith is like when control replaces love. Which is, coincidentally, something I find non-christians thinking about my faith all the time (since they're always asking about the stuff I 'can not' do).
It is an incredible album, and it made me think and experience my faith from a different perspective. And that's something that's a lot of christian-faith based artists haven't accomplished for me. Therefore: a reccomendation.

If you're scared of listening to a belief system that's different from yours you can always try out tourniquet, though it's on the more metal-side of things.

Has anybody recommended Leeland yet? I think you'll like 'em.

Apr 28, 2009 at 4:32 PM Post #88 of 109
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hot Pixel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ah well, it's the same flawed logic as 'They Sold their Souls...' uses.
@abellaw: niiice.
@lifesundeath: lol. the Max Cavelera Sepultura was not anti, was it? I only knew the Chaos A.D album and I thought it was awesome.

I've got another reccomendation, though it is kind of controversial. I've been listening to 'The Inner Circle' by a band called 'Evergrey'. It's not Christian. So it doesn't really belong in this thread. However; I do believe the album can be of value to alot of Christians. At least it is for me. It shows what faith is like when control replaces love. Which is, coincidentally, something I find non-christians thinking about my faith all the time (since they're always asking about the stuff I 'can not' do).
It is an incredible album, and it made me think and experience my faith from a different perspective. And that's something that's a lot of christian-faith based artists haven't accomplished for me. Therefore: a reccomendation.

If you're scared of listening to a belief system that's different from yours you can always try out tourniquet, though it's on the more metal-side of things.

Has anybody recommended Leeland yet? I think you'll like 'em.

Thanks...

I have my zune today so you can get the rest i couldn't remember...

The Almost

As Cities Burn

August Burns Red

BlessTheFall

Burden Of A Day

Demon Hunter

Gwen Stacy

Destroy The Runner

Harp And lyre

Here I Come Falling

Life In Your Way

mewithoutyou

Norma Jean

Upon Beauty Rests

Apr 28, 2009 at 11:37 PM Post #89 of 109
Quote:

Originally Posted by ZephyrSapphire /img/forum/go_quote.gif
IMHO, lyrics like those are as cliché and horrible as whatever Hillsong comes up with.

You talking about the lyrics I posted by the Swans? If you actually listen to the song I think you may realize they are really meant as sarcasm and is why they are cliched. I was just funnin' with you guys and I am an atheist.

Apr 29, 2009 at 6:54 AM Post #90 of 109
^ Shows great confidence... but if you really want to annoy 'us', don't hit us on the other cheek
wink.gif

@abellaw: Those are some excellent bands dude... some of 'em I don't know yet, so more for me to check out. However; I'm beginning to believe we need a Christian-themed *.core thread
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back