Christian Rock
Apr 29, 2009 at 1:44 PM Post #91 of 109
Tourniquet - Where Moth and Rust Destroy (Thrash Metal)

Being non-religious myself I usually run screaming from overly preachy Christian music but Tourniquet somehow manage to enspell me despite being really preachy. Probably has to do with the fact that the lyrics, while didactic, are intelligently written.

Oh, and Marty Friedman (of Megadeth fame) does most of the solos on the album.

Apr 29, 2009 at 4:36 PM Post #93 of 109
Seriously, why isnt anybody talking about Red? their music is just eargasmic at times.

Apr 29, 2009 at 7:12 PM Post #94 of 109
Because I got Red the moment before my relationship crashed, and I feel the need to cry everytime I hear'em. That's why ^_^
I'm with Adamora though. Red = fantastic (couldn't care less about the acoustic versions though). But Red's more emo-ish isn't it?

Apr 30, 2009 at 2:42 AM Post #96 of 109
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hot Pixel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Because I got Red the moment before my relationship crashed, and I feel the need to cry everytime I hear'em. That's why ^_^
I'm with Adamora though. Red = fantastic (couldn't care less about the acoustic versions though). But Red's more emo-ish isn't it?

Yeah, i bet the song "already over" is the culprit :p?

and im in love with the acoustic versions XD.

Apr 30, 2009 at 3:35 AM Post #97 of 109
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zanth /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So why are you posting in this thread? What you just did is a thread crap which incidentally is against the rules.

It is simple; this thread is about Christian Rock. This is clear from the title of the thread. Obviously those posting recommendations either are Christian or don't mind the Christian overtones.

For future reference to anyone about to post about how they are an atheist and can't stand the Christian message, save those posting in this thread the trouble and just refrain from reading a thread that is obviously counter to your personal ethic.

To be honest, I'm quite offended by the blatant straw man you've used here. Where did I say that I can't stand the Christian message? I'm being treated like the arrogant atheist stereotype without you knowing the slightest bit about me. Also, did I post just to say "Christian rock suckz" (thread crapping)? Because I'm pretty sure I wasn't trying to disrupt the thread but to just give my opinion and explain my difficulty with appreciating Christian Rock. Maybe in your eyes that's close enough, I don't know, but it seems like the aggressiveness in your response was entirely unwarranted.

Apr 30, 2009 at 8:02 AM Post #98 of 109
Posting about religion is forbidden here too so if people can't post who don't like Christian music then that makes the the thread about the religion and not the music. Do people who start a thread about Rap music tell people who hate Rap music that they can't post in the thread? Telling people not to post if they don't like Christian themed music is just so Christian like.
wink.gif

Apr 30, 2009 at 11:36 AM Post #99 of 109
Woah, lets not get this thread locked now, im loving the recommendations people are giving out.

Apr 30, 2009 at 2:21 PM Post #100 of 109
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hot Pixel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
^ Shows great confidence... but if you really want to annoy 'us', don't hit us on the other cheek
wink.gif

@abellaw: Those are some excellent bands dude... some of 'em I don't know yet, so more for me to check out. However; I'm beginning to believe we need a Christian-themed *.core thread
biggrin.gif

Thanks i am always on the look out for new christian music....and i would definately post in that kinda of thread...what kind of music do you listen too..and do you have any similar recommendations...

I guess if you are an athesist then a thread about christian rock music recommendations probably isnt the best place to be posting. But at the same time i can understand where you are coming from and i think that you guys are more than welcome to express your opinion. But lets just keep it focused on the music and not faith beacuse i am sure everyone is sick of arguing about religion or their lack of it...

Apr 30, 2009 at 8:43 PM Post #101 of 109
Anyhow, in relation to my earlier post, does anyone know any Christian Rock bands that aren't direct or pushy with their message that I shouldn't overlook? I'm mostly into modern prog and alternative rock, also some melodic forms of heavier metal (Metalcore, Melodic Death Metal, etc.). Are there any bands that fit into this description that don't explicitly reference God/Jesus/whatever else in their songs? I don't want to overlook any good bands simply because they're labelled Christian.

Also, BTW, what I said in my first post was never about religion... I can't listen to Free Will by Rush, either, for the exact same reason.

May 1, 2009 at 2:19 AM Post #102 of 109
Quote:

Originally Posted by Oggranak /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Anyhow, in relation to my earlier post, does anyone know any Christian Rock bands that aren't direct or pushy with their message that I shouldn't overlook? I'm mostly into modern prog and alternative rock, also some melodic forms of heavier metal (Metalcore, Melodic Death Metal, etc.). Are there any bands that fit into this description that don't explicitly reference God/Jesus/whatever else in their songs? I don't want to overlook any good bands simply because they're labelled Christian.

Also, BTW, what I said in my first post was never about religion... I can't listen to Free Will by Rush, either, for the exact same reason.

I would recommend the band Oceana, you might want to take a listen online first because i can't remember how explicit they are with their faith. Also they aren't a christian band anymore but you might want to check out emarosa, they are like experiemental r and b

May 1, 2009 at 4:10 AM Post #103 of 109
Quote:

Originally Posted by Oggranak /img/forum/go_quote.gif

The Chariot
Thrice

May 3, 2009 at 11:36 PM Post #104 of 109
Haven't read the whole thread but my nominations go to:

Psalters
Danielson Famile
Woven Hand/16 H.P.
Revolutionary Army of Infant Jesus
S.S. Bountyhunter
Sufjan Stevens
Serena-Maneesh
Headnoise
Blaster the Rocketman

and a throw back:
All Saved Freak Band

Just to be controversial I'll throw in Nick Cave and Bad Seeds, Current 93, and Shadow Project's last album. Also, a big thumbs up to the guy who mentioned Swans, and Virgin Prunes (neither of which I think are intentionally Christian, but heck, good stuff anyways).

May 4, 2009 at 1:45 AM Post #105 of 109
Yea, but 'I Am God' by Virgin Prunes is one of my favourite songs so had to throw it in there and some of their music is definitely influenced by Christianity but perhaps not in a positive way.

Biography - Gavin Friday - Official Site

Gavin Friday was born in Dublin on October 8, 1959. He survived a Christian Brothers education to become a singer, composer and painter. Ireland's most avant-garde chanteur founded the legendary Virgin Prunes in 1977. The band's uncompromising body of work ensured a dedicated fan base in Ireland, the U.K. and mainland Europe in particular.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back